Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CrapOne's Dyslexic Blacklist

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

CrapOne's Dyslexic Blacklist

Before the end of the year I decided to burn one last inquiry before going on my one-to-two-year application sabbatical and thought CrapOne would be a likely target.  I've always heard bad things about them, but I figured you can never go wrong using them for a Credit Watch subscription and PIFing before the statement even cuts.

After I applied I got the following comment:

"You may be ineligible for approval for another Capital One Credit Card within the next 45 days; therefore we encourage you to wait for at least 45 days before applying for another Capital One Credit Card."

I also noticed that CrapOne did not pull any of my credit reports. 

Today I got the formal notice in the mail which reads:

"Based on the application information for John Q. Public,
there are too many delinquent past or present Capital One
credit obligation(s)."

"We based our decision strictly on a review of application
information according to our credit guidelines.  We did not
request a copy of your credit file and therefore no inquiry
will be placed on your credit report."

This is interesting as I have never had a CrapOne card.  The only credit cards I have ever had were AmEx, Nations Bank (now Bank of America), Citibank, JC Penney and a small handful of recent others and all were / are in good standing -- never any baddies.

Right now I'm thinking about how to attack this issue as I do not intend to let this sit unresolved.  One obvious possibility is a case of identity theft, but I have been pulling my credit reports on a regular basis for the past several decades and have never seen any indication of identity theft.

Does anybody have any comments / suggestions / flames?

Message Edited by O6 on 01-10-2010 01:34 AM
Message 1 of 57
56 REPLIES 56
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: CrapOne's Dyslexic Blacklist

@Anonymous wrote:

Before the end of the year I decided to burn one last inquiry before going on my one-to-two-year application sabbatical and thought CrapOne would be a likely target.  I've always heard bad things about them, but I figured you can never go wrong using them for a Credit Watch subscription and PIFing before the statement even cuts.

"You may be ineligible for approval for another Capital One Credit Card within the next 45 days; therefore we encourage you to wait for at least 45 days before applying for another Capital One Credit Card."

credit obligation(s)."

This is interesting as I have never had a CrapOne card.  The only credit cards I have ever had were AmEx, Nations Bank (now Bank of America), Citibank, JC Penney and a small handful of recent others and all were / are in good standing -- never any baddies.

Right now I'm thinking about how to attack this issue as I do not intend to let this sit unresolved.  One obvious possibility is a case of identity theft, but I have been pulling my credit reports on a regular basis for the past several decades and have never seen any indication of identity theft.

They're incompetent and the fact that they didn't burn an inq on this nonsense is the universes way of telling you to run like they have the cooties.  

Message 2 of 57
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

O6, I'd be on the phone with them in a heartbeat to get the specifics of the "delinquent credit obligation(s)" they're referring to.  They should be able to provide you with the accounts' dates of opening, billing addresses, etc. related to the phantom account(s).

Since you've never had a card with them, it should be a somewhat short conversation, but a heckuva lot of hold time.  Their internal records are screwed up, or someone punched in a wrong SSN...maybe even you, on the app.  DW just did that a few months ago, the SSN was off by one digit, and she was a wreck until it got straightened out.

Just curious, though, since you've never had an account with Capital One, why do you refer to them as "Crap One"?  Everyone's individual experiences are different; some people hate them, and others (like me) have no complaints whatsoever (or minor ones, at best).  And if you feel that a Cap One card is so crappy, why bother to apply for it in the first place, and burning an inquiry on each of the three bureaus?

Message 3 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

credit obligation(s)."

They're incompetent and the fact that they didn't burn an inq on this nonsense is the universes way of telling you to run like they have the cooties.  

Sad, but true.

Gotta be a way to make them feel at least a little kick in the butt over this. 

Message 4 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Uborrow-Upay wrote:

O6, I'd be on the phone with them in a heartbeat to get the specifics of the "delinquent credit obligation(s)" they're referring to.  They should be able to provide you with the accounts' dates of opening, billing addresses, etc. related to the phantom account(s).

Since you've never had a card with them, it should be a somewhat short conversation, but a heckuva lot of hold time.  Their internal records are screwed up, or someone punched in a wrong SSN...maybe even you, on the app.  DW just did that a few months ago, the SSN was off by one digit, and she was a wreck until it got straightened out.

Just curious, though, since you've never had an account with Capital One, why do you refer to them as "Crap One"?  Everyone's individual experiences are different; some people hate them, and others (like me) have no complaints whatsoever (or minor ones, at best).  And if you feel that a Cap One card is so crappy, why bother to apply for it in the first place, and burning an inquiry on each of the three bureaus?

Crap One is just an affectionate nickname I have heard umpteen million times and it has stuck -- sort of like Wells Fargo being known as WeFee.

I have also heard a lot of negative comments on Chase, but I have had very good experience with them.  I thought that with Crap One it would be similar, but, alas, I was wrong. 

I think I will contact them and see how they justify this.  After that I can evaluate any additional steps to take.  I am extremely sure, however, that I didn't mistakenly enter my SSN, DOB or other identifiers. 

Message 5 of 57
Uborrow-Upay
Valued Contributor

O6, I think that once they identify you properly, and realize that you never had an account with them, they'll probably issue you a card.  You've had pretty good results lately, for sure.

(Never heard the "WeFee" moniker before, though...LOL!)

Message 6 of 57
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Cap One has a great card for those with great credit. I've seen astonishing CL's on this one, although this was in the past; who knows if they're still doing so. For folks with great credit who do a lot of international travel, this can be a great catch.

Most of the rest of their cards seem to be builder/ rebuilder cards, and they seem to provide a lot of frustration for consumers --slow or no CLI's and so forth. Thus the origin of the "Crap One" designation.

I keep thinking that they must have a mid-range card in there somewhere, that you would get with 700 - 710 scores, that might start with a $3 - $5K CL, and that increases with time. But I haven't seen evidence of it yet.

Odd to have a top-tier card, with all the rest apparently for starters.

* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 7 of 57
hemi961
Regular Contributor

I feel your pain.

A few months ago I applied for their prestige card (I think that's the
name) and they pulled all 3 reports. The reason for the declination
was that according to TU I'm not a home owner. Since they pulled all
3, does that mean that according to EQ and EX I am a home owner?
That was a new one on me as I've never seen anyplace on a credit
report that says home owner or renter. I'm sure they based that on
the fact that there is no mortgage showing since I paid my 30 year
mortgage off in 10 years and the last payment was made 17 years
ago. I also own an office but the mortgage on that was paid off 12
years ago.

They must stay up late to come up with these excuses.
Message 8 of 57
Anonymous
Not applicable

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
Cap One has a great card for those with great credit. I've seen astonishing CL's on this one, although this was in the past; who knows if they're still doing so. For folks with great credit who do a lot of international travel, this can be a great catch.
This was our experience just 6 months ago. We were planning a trip to Rome & wanted a card that didn't pass along FX transaction fees. So I applied online for a Cap One Rewards MasterCard & was approved instantly for $20K. We used the card extensively during our trip & had no problems with it.

Message 9 of 57
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

JimB wrote:

@haulingthescoreup wrote:

This was our experience just 6 months ago. We were planning a trip to Rome & wanted a card that didn't pass along FX transaction fees. So I applied online for a Cap One Rewards MasterCard & was approved instantly for $20K. We used the card extensively during our trip & had no problems with it.

Glad to know it still exists!

* lol at all my "greats" in my original post --I think I was caffeine-deficient *
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 10 of 57
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.