Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crazy A.U Question - Regarding Dating of Account

tag
jbh
Established Contributor

Crazy A.U Question - Regarding Dating of Account

Hey,

If I get an amex A.U account that is over 20 years and then I get one on my own later on, does it date back to the date of my AU account? I was told that it does but I am skeptical of this.

Thanks.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
oracles
Valued Contributor

Re: Crazy AU Question - Regarding Dating of Account

I don't know the answer totally however thinking logically, I would not believe that to be true.

If you received a card on your own, you are the sole owner of this card. You are totally responsible for it. Therefore now they have a true record of you.

As an AU, they really don't have a record because you are just authorized but have no responsibility.

For example, I had a corporate amex with my previous job. I was authorized to use it but it was not my responsibility.

Now that I have my own card I can not backdate my info because I never had a card of my own that I was owner of, including full responsibilities that goes with it.

Hope this helps and let us know if you get an answer from amex or anyone who knows for sure

Message 2 of 7
jbh
Established Contributor

Anybody know for sure if the au would allow me to keep the history?
Message 3 of 7
TangMeister
Frequent Contributor

@jbh wrote:
Anybody know for sure if the au would allow me to keep the history?

It's been done, and has been discussed on here and another big credit board.  You have to call in and ask for it, and sometimes it takes a few calls to get the right CSR who will do it.  I think it's definitely worth it, and one of the main reasons Amex is a great asset in this or any credit climate:  Instant avg. age lengthening with their cards, if you have history with them.  Good luck!

Message Edited by TangMeister on 01-23-2009 10:13 PM
Message 4 of 7
jbh
Established Contributor

Thanks. I'll see i I can have it passed on, if anything it might help as I apply for biz credit later on

Have a great weekend.

Message 5 of 7
oracles
Valued Contributor

JBH

I think tang is speaking about the fact if you had an account previously, will you be able to backdate for a new card. This situation is, you were n previously AU and not  an account holder.  I could be wrong.

I think you should just call amex to be sure and let us all know.

Keep us updated

Message Edited by oracles on 01-24-2009 01:34 AM
Message 6 of 7
jbh
Established Contributor

I'd feel pretty stupid asking them that esp. as I do not have an account. They would not go out of their way

to answer that for a non customer, probably.

That's why I want to confirm if the AU should come first or after I get my own first amex

Thanks

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.