Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Crazy USAA Story

tag
flowfaster
Established Contributor

Crazy USAA Story

So I am helping my DGF rebuild from divorce yada yada yada.  She has 1 collection and a big fat unpaid REPO (ex DH car) that was only two and a half years old.  We decided to get another bank card for her because all she had was a $750 cap one. I also wanted to target equifax because it was her best report.  So in JAN, being that she was a full USAA member, we applied for the rewards visa and was denied.   She was counter offered the secured card but we did not take it. 

1 month later we did an online dispute on equifax.  She disputed every negative account on file.  After about 20 days the results came back.....DELETED, everything.  The fresh Ford Motors repo (legit)...GONE!!!  So we applied again and was approved instantly for $13,000 at 9.9% APR.  I just can't believe it.  Her highest bank card is $750.  USAA really hooks you up. Now we just have to work on the other reports. 

I am not sure if her being an AU on my 5 digit lines helped or not but they didn't hurt.  I am very pleased for her and wanted to share the story.

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Re: Crazy USAA Story

The Repo may be picked up in 6 months when USAA does its account review. People here have written they use companies other than EQ for review.

I've had USAA for a while and they've never soft-pulled EQ to monitor.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 16
flowfaster
Established Contributor

So your saying they will take AA if they see it on an AR?

Amex BCP/BC/Zync - Amex Business GR - Barclays NFL Visa Sig 49ers/Arrival - BoA BBR - Cap 1 Quicksilver - Citi Forward/Preferred - Chase Amazon/Freedom/Ink Plus - Discover IT - Fidelity Amex - GECRB Amazon/Walmart - PenFed PRV - Target - USAA Amex - US Bank CASH+/Club Carlson
Message 3 of 16
drkaje
Senior Contributor

It's entirely possible.

I've even read stories of them canceling an AU card due to (IIRC) student loan default.

They're actually pretty conservative, as a lender.

Also, the Ford repo may be properly reinserted. There's a process but if it's paid they might not bother.

Message 4 of 16
flowfaster
Established Contributor

That's just crazy. Oh well, hopefully we will have success with TU and EX. There is no way we are paying for the ex husbands car. Would you?
Message 5 of 16
drkaje
Senior Contributor

@flowfaster wrote:
That's just crazy. Oh well, hopefully we will have success with TU and EX. There is no way we are paying for the ex husbands car. Would you?

I ended up paying $6K+ off on a card DExW used to death. Was my own fault for making her an AU.

Did she co-sign?

Message 6 of 16
flowfaster
Established Contributor

Yeah she was the co-signer.  I really hope USAA doesn't take AA.  I understand cutting the limit but this card will really help her score so I hope they don't close it.

Message 7 of 16
wallyworld123
Frequent Contributor

@flowfaster wrote:

Yeah she was the co-signer.  I really hope USAA doesn't take AA.  I understand cutting the limit but this card will really help her score so I hope they don't close it.

Congrats on the usaa approvalSmiley Happy i am happy for your DG but, please be careful if she did cosign legally she is responsible as well.

Message 8 of 16
Ron1
Super Contributor

Congrats!!!!  USAA AR on my EXP and TU, NOT EQ.

Ron.

Message 9 of 16
drkaje
Senior Contributor

The old saying "Curses are like chickens; they always come home to roost" is generally true. It's pretty difficult for some things to go away. If the SOL is expired and OP isn't in a community property state, there's probably no real liability. That being said, USAA is relatively conservative but I feel more forgiving than PenFed when it comes to utilization. Nothing at all may happen, especially if the other 3 bureaus get cleaned up over the next few months.

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.