cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Creating a "Universal Card" that can link all of the cardholder's credit cards together...

tag
DI
Super Contributor

Creating a "Universal Card" that can link all of the cardholder's credit cards together...

Would it be a good idea for someone to develop a universal card( in agreement with all banks and CU's) that would link all one's CC's together?  Rather than carry multiple cards, the cardholder can carry their Universal Card and select which account at the time of purchase to charge.  The cardholder can go to a website and select which card(s) they want to add to their Universal Card.  This can  be voluntary rather than the banks making it mandatory. 
Message Edited by DI on 12-05-2009 01:27 PM
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
marty56
Super Contributor

Re: Creating a "Universal Card" that can link all of the cardholder's credit cards togethe

I dont think that would work very well in the retail environment and imagine if I could tie one of your cards to my universal card.  I wouldnt use it anyway.
1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 2 of 7
MattH
Senior Contributor

Re: Creating a "Universal Card" that can link all of the cardholder's credit cards togethe

@DI wrote:
Would it be a good idea for someone to develop a universal card( in agreement with all banks and CU's) that would link all one's CC's together?  Rather than carry multiple cards, the cardholder can carry their Universal Card and select which account at the time of purchase to charge.  The cardholder can go to a website and select which card(s) they want to add to their Universal Card.  This can  be voluntary rather than the banks making it mandatory. 
Message Edited by DI on 12-05-2009 01:27 PM

And if that universal card gets lost, stolen, or otherwise used by a crook?  Recently my wife and I got a call from Chase Security telling us somebody had charged 500 bucks to our account at a liquor store in Florida which they suspected was fraud; we said they were right, it was fraud, so they of course cancelled that account number and sent us new cards.  During the week or so it took for the new cards to arrive we simply used other cards, but if we had one card for everything and that got compromised then we could have been seriously inconvenienced.

TU 791 02/11/2013, EQ 800 1/29/2011 , EX Plus FAKO 812, EX Vantage Score 955 3/19/2010 wife's EQ 9/23/2009 803
EX always was my highest when we could pull all three
Always remember: big print giveth, small print taketh away
If you dunno what tanstaafl means you must Google it
Message 3 of 7
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

Every card is fighting for a position in your wallet,  it's like products at the grocery store which fight for the best product placement so they will be bought.  AMEX, Visa or MC would not allow a merged product that would blur the selection process, too much is at stake.  And I'd rather pick my card physically rather than having to tell the merchant which card I wanted it to go on.
Message Edited by Watchmann on 12-05-2009 05:48 PM
Message 4 of 7
laz98
Senior Contributor

i prefer to have my own individual cards, however crappy they may be Smiley Very Happy
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is sort of such a thing:  Paypal

You can link any checking, savings, debit or credit card.  You can get a PayPal debit card that will draw upon one of your pay sources and have a backup.

You can select which pay source to use at the time of purchase if you do it online.

I know its not what you had in mind, but this is the closest I see it coming.

Message 6 of 7
Watchmann
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

There is sort of such a thing:  Paypal

You can link any checking, savings, debit or credit card.  You can get a PayPal debit card that will draw upon one of your pay sources and have a backup.

You can select which pay source to use at the time of purchase if you do it online.

I know its not what you had in mind, but this is the closest I see it coming.

Exactly right.  My default payment for PayPay is my checking account which I use for stuff less than about $50.  Higher levels I have a Visa account linked as a backup account, and for even higher purchases I've got my AMEX card linked which I use for items greater than about $3,000.  I just paid my AMEX account $5,300 for a purchase I made last month.  It all works great and I have a choice at checkout time.  Love PayPal for the flexibility it provides.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.