Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card App Rejection...

tag
snowkitty
Established Contributor

Re: Credit Card App Rejection...

@Johnny_Favorite wrote:

The best feeling in the world is that first approval. I had been denied so many times, I was absolutely ready for them to tell me to get lost. It was with Discover. I got on the phone because it said to call them. The woman pulled my report up, then had to run a second bureau. She was looking through my file and I was ready for her to come back with the, "Ummm yeah at this time we cannot approve you" instead she said she was going to ask me a few questions. Then she didnt. She just said, "Hmmm on second thought I don't see any reason why we couldn't approve you, how does 2500 dollar limit sound?"

That was such a sweet victory - worth a thousand rejections.

Also I don't know about others but you tend to hold grudges. Like with Citi. Oh my god. They have rejected me even before I had to rebuild. I just seriously never want to do business with that godawful company.

Once I got my boa 99/500 card I was afraid to apply for anything else until I came here. I hit up Discover first and they had me call in and gave me a 1500.00 cl. I was so excited!!!

I too am a grudge holder. I know it's not right but I can't help it. *lol* Citi let me in with a shell gas card so I have no problem with them. But....I applied for a Capital One card and they pulled all 3 reports and denied me. I has just been approved with Discover and I saw that everyone here had cap one cards and so I was really upset about the denial. I figured I was a shoo in! I think maybe I applied for a card that was out of my league but I'm still mad *lol*  Now they send me preapproval offers all the time and I just laugh and rip them up. I will never have a cap one card!! I applied for fingerhut over a year ago  when I had no credit and even they denied me. Now they send me preapproval emails and catalogs all the time. I don't want an account with them but even if I did, I would never accept it. Cat LOL

TU Fico 714 | Sesame 742 | Credit Karma 762 | Wal-Mart FICO 734 | EX FICO 695 (1/28/13) | EQ 740 (3-21-13)

Amex Blue Sky 7.2k | Amex BCE 13.1k | Citi Diamond Preferred 10.2k | CSP 5k | Bofa Cash 9k | Boa Travel 10k | Discover More 3k | Chase SW 5k | Wal-Mart 3.3k | Amazon 5k | Old Navy Visa 5k | Shell 1200 | BP 400 | VS 1500 | Sam's Discover 8.5k | FNBO Amex 16k | Chase Freedom 1.3k | Home Depot 5k | Brylane Homes 1600 | BML 2820

App free since 12/11/13*
Message 21 of 26
ObeyJohnny12
Established Contributor

Everyone hates being denied thats a fact, but it's part of life. You cant be given anything you want right when you ask for it, you have to work for it. If it were that easy we all be billionaires. In the credit world anything can happen, a person with a thin profile can be instantly approved for a prestigious card right of the bat, while those who have longer time credit can be denied multiple times.
In my case Chase has been nothin but good to me. They were my first prime lender and still approved me despite my short credit history. I was approved for the CSP this week and im only nineteen.
Yes i have been denied multiple times in the beginning and it sucked big time but i had to shake i off and work on those reasons for denial. (Credit scores not being high, low income, not enough time with current cards etc).
Scores and income play a big role in approval but also luck goes into it as well.
Wells Fargo Secured - 7k
Opensky - 5k
Rebuilding One Day At A Time.
Message 22 of 26
codimom
Frequent Contributor

The fear of rejection is hard to overcome...but we all have to start somewhere.
I have said before, on this particular rebuilding journey of mine, that I applied for cards I had no business asking for, and I was approved.
I am now gardening those babies so my numbers will look astounding for a home refi.

I went from having 2  universal cards, an HSBC card with a 3500 cl, and a Chase Slate (limit downgraded to 1800 once I paid it off, started at 3500 too - WAMU buy out) and a Target store card to being approved for a Barclay Frontier rewards mc, Amex BCE(which is the one I never should have gotten), Discover (first more, not IT) a credit union visa rewards and a citi siggy visa... in under 2 years.  .  and yet Chase will NOT pc that slate card to a rewards card...

bottom line?  the answer is ALWAYS no until you ask  . . .

Back in the garden!
App free since 23Oct2012 reset to 27Aug13 and reset again 4nov13
Message 23 of 26
QAMngrGirl
Frequent Contributor

I have no patience, but I also will not app in store in case of a face-to-face (and mortifying) denial. Thankfully my desire for instant an approval (gratification) is now outweighed by the Do-you-really-need/want/qualify-for-this-account thought.

Message 24 of 26
kwinks
Regular Contributor

@Johnny_Favorite wrote:

The best feeling in the world is that first approval. I had been denied so many times, I was absolutely ready for them to tell me to get lost. It was with Discover. I got on the phone because it said to call them. The woman pulled my report up, then had to run a second bureau. She was looking through my file and I was ready for her to come back with the, "Ummm yeah at this time we cannot approve you" instead she said she was going to ask me a few questions. Then she didnt. She just said, "Hmmm on second thought I don't see any reason why we couldn't approve you, how does 2500 dollar limit sound?"

That was such a sweet victory - worth a thousand rejections.

Also I don't know about others but you tend to hold grudges. Like with Citi. Oh my god. They have rejected me even before I had to rebuild. I just seriously never want to do business with that godawful company.

Lol! Funny you mention grudges. When I turned 18 I tried applying for a discover student card, I had credit history because I was an au on my mom's card, but they flat out denied me. So I got a secured card and was too scared to apply for a credit card until a year later. I hadn't even read this forum and I went straight ahead and applied for freedom and bofa cash rewards and was instantly approved for both, ( had no idea they are "prime" cards) I now laugh at discover every time they send me offers for IT ( which is like once a week, kind of annoying) and now i am forever sour towards them, no matter how great their card might be, I'm not interested. Haha I have issues....

Message 25 of 26
Pilotdude
Established Contributor

@LS2982 wrote:

I used to feel that way until I crossed from sub-prime hell to primeville. Now if I get declined I already know why and just kick myself in the ass for the dumb app Smiley Very Happy

This.

but its still hard not to give in to the itch sometimes...even when I know I am just gonna get kicked in the jibblies for it. Smiley Tongue

NFCU #1 Fan!! NO MOAR APPS TIL 10/13 Minimum!!
TU -746, EX - 721, EQ -745
Cards:NFCU Flag Visa Sig $10000, CSP $8500, AMEX BCP $2000 Freedom $3500, Disc IT $5000, Cap 1 Green $2100, Credit 1 CLOSED! AU on Amex Green, Discover $2000, Cap One Plat $1000
Message 26 of 26
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.