Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Approvals and Some Jaw Dropping SL's You Never Expected

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Card Approvals and Some Jaw Dropping SL's You Never Expected

Hello folks. A couple of weeks ago I started a fun thread for the community to share stories for denials that they never saw coming. We all know that in the game of credit, we gain some, and we also loose some. For someone like myself who has a young credit profile. I am curious to know your stories when you started out as a young credit nerd. Venturing out into building your credit profiles, cleaning up your reports, recovering from past mistakes in the attempt to start over. It's a challenge when you have a young credit file. Almost every lender would either shut you down for inexperience or start you off with a really low limit. So i'd like to know if there are any interesting stories out there about their most suprising Approvals! Banks whom you never thought you'd even get approved for ever, but you did. And any SL's that made you stare at your computer screens for a long few minutes to make sure you are seeing the high figure that is displaying on your computer screen just to make sure you are seeing it correctly.

Here's mine, I never thought I'd ever get approved for an AMEX card ever. I always thought, they were only meant for high income earners. But I wanted to build my profile strong enough to qualify for one, but I did not expect that an AMEX approval would happen to me on the early stages of my build. I applied through the phone with an AMEX csr and after gathering all of my info over the phone he said "I cannot complete the approval process on my end, this means that you are neither approved nor denied, I just need to transfer you over to another department to complete the application process." I was so certain it was leading towards a denial. But, It was the fraud dept. just confirming it was me who applied. I have never been so anxious to find out what my fate was. But then he said the magic words, Congratulations! You've been approved! Let me tell you, I never even bothered to ask what my SL was. I was smiling all throughout that conversation, and I cannot remember how many times I thanked that agent for the approval. I was 6 mos. into my average age of account history. With only having a secured card reporting. My SL was 1K, but still, I was over the moon being able to get in. But my story did not end there. 6 mos. after that approval, I thought maybe I'd add another AMEX and applied for the Blue Delta Skymiles. I was almost sure this second revolver would get started off with a 1K limit as well when the computer said congratulations. I was happy to get that approval again, but what made it even more special was that, when I linked that newly approved card to my existing Account page. SL of 15K! I had to log out and log back in to make sure it was correct, I called customer service just to confirm that their systems were ok and that my limit was indeed 15K! Who would have thought that someone with barely a year in of AaoA would result in something so positive. I started this thread to be a place for the rest of us to share our inspiring stories, so that the rest of us with young profiles whether or not they post here or just read through threads could have something to look forward to. So hopefully you can share yours. Whether it was an approval you never expected, or it was a nice SL you never thought was possible, someone somewhere might find it inspiring.

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
redpat
Senior Contributor

Re: Credit Card Approvals and Some Jaw Dropping SL's You Never Expected

CSR 31K SL.

Personal Cards: Amex Plat | Amex Delta Res | CSR | Citi AA Exec Business Cards: Ink+ | Amex BGR
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I started rebuilding my credit January 2018. I've never necessarily had terrible credit, I just had a few small collections and negative things early on in life and could never get approved for much after that. I'm in my late 30's now and have been working for the same company almost 15 years making a little over 50k a year. January of 2018 somebody ran a red light and totaled my car. It was a 10 year old car that I'd purchased a few years prior from a friend for roughly 2k. I was thrilled when the other driver's insurance paid me over 6k for the car, and I decided to use that money to pay off any debts I had and to start over building my credit. Got a couple of small secured credit cards, one for $200 the other for $300, and started working to remove any negatives from my reports. Last month (May 2018) I had the last negative removed with a pdl which was a small collections from 6 years ago. I decided to try and replace my totaled car and headed down to my local Toyota dealership with a price quote through True Car.com in hand. They ran my credit and it came back around 590 with a very thin file, basically just the 2 secured cards since all but that last negative had been removed. Offered 17% financing so I turned it down and decided to keep building. 

A few days later, I thought what the heck, I'll apply at DCU and see what they say. Apparently in those few days that 6 years old collection had dropped off my report and it was updated to show no credit score at all, since my secured cards where still only 5 months old. DCU approved me!  I got a loan for 24k (which was exactly the amount I needed) at 6.49% interest and they also gave me a $4,000 Visa card. They said it was a first time buyers program they offer when somebody has no credit score at all. So I went from 2 secured cards with a $500 combined limit and no credit score to a 24k new car loan ( on a 2018 Avalon with MSRP of 36,600) and a 4k credit card. 

Message 3 of 13
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

Almost 2 mos. into my rebuild 5 years ago--USAA Cash Rew. Visa @ $11K SL. For me at the time that was a SUPER MONSTER SL.

BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I started rebuilding my credit January 2018. I've never necessarily had terrible credit, I just had a few small collections and negative things early on in life and could never get approved for much after that. I'm in my late 30's now and have been working for the same company almost 15 years making a little over 50k a year. January of 2018 somebody ran a red light and totaled my car. It was a 10 year old car that I'd purchased a few years prior from a friend for roughly 2k. I was thrilled when the other driver's insurance paid me over 6k for the car, and I decided to use that money to pay off any debts I had and to start over building my credit. Got a couple of small secured credit cards, one for $200 the other for $300, and started working to remove any negatives from my reports. Last month (May 2018) I had the last negative removed with a pdl which was a small collections from 6 years ago. I decided to try and replace my totaled car and headed down to my local Toyota dealership with a price quote through True Car.com in hand. They ran my credit and it came back around 590 with a very thin file, basically just the 2 secured cards since all but that last negative had been removed. Offered 17% financing so I turned it down and decided to keep building. 

A few days later, I thought what the heck, I'll apply at DCU and see what they say. Apparently in those few days that 6 years old collection had dropped off my report and it was updated to show no credit score at all, since my secured cards where still only 5 months old. DCU approved me!  I got a loan for 24k (which was exactly the amount I needed) at 6.49% interest and they also gave me a $4,000 Visa card. They said it was a first time buyers program they offer when somebody has no credit score at all. So I went from 2 secured cards with a $500 combined limit and no credit score to a 24k new car loan ( on a 2018 Avalon with MSRP of 36,600) and a 4k credit card. 

Thank you for sharing your story. 

Message 5 of 13
Peteyglad
Established Contributor

Not my biggest, but my most jaw dropping was with the Chase Ritz card. I already had a CSP with a limit of 40k. This was accomplished by combining my CSP, IHG, Amazon and Freedom limits together. I figured I would get the Ritz card, but it would be a smaller limit due to my already high exposure with Chase .

Low and behold I get a 27k starting limit! I was floored .After a year or so of having both cards I moved the limit from the CSP to the Ritz to get my current 67k limit. 

Chase Sapphire Preferred 20k | Amex Delta Platinum 20k | Amex Hilton Aspire 20k | US Bank Cash+ 25k | Chase Amazon Prime 25k | Barclaycard Aviator Red 40k | Bank of America Alaska Airlines 42k | Chase Marriott 50k | Discover It 50.3k | Amex EDP 52k | Citi Thank You Premier 56K | Bank of America BBR 57.9k
Message 6 of 13
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

I'd have to say when i first joined Navy , and reading all the huge limits people were getting even with profiles in rebuild, my jaw probably hit the floor when I got $500 as my first limit on the Plat. Lol, it's me so you know its true but yeah that was a like dang momentSmiley Happy
Message 7 of 13
arkane
Established Contributor

lol you can always count on AJC for a plot twist

Active:

Closed:

6/8/20:

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@AverageJoesCredit wrote:
I'd have to say when i first joined Navy , and reading all the huge limits people were getting even with profiles in rebuild, my jaw probably hit the floor when I got $500 as my first limit on the Plat. Lol, it's me so you know its true but yeah that was a like dang momentSmiley Happy

Well my jaw just dropped reading your story AJC lol! But look at where that card is at now. It doesn't matter how it started right? It's where we're headed. 

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

He's like the M. Night Shyamalan of MyFico

@arkane wrote:

lol you can always count on AJC for a plot twist

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.