Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Choice - Delta SkyMiles or USAA

tag
ntg187
Established Member

Credit Card Choice - Delta SkyMiles or USAA

Hey guys, I would like to get your opinion on something.  I do a decent amount of traveling and have a need for a new credit card so Im going to be applying for one in the near future.  My credit score isnt amazing (see signature) but it will hopefully do the job in getting me a new line of credit.  I am looking at either the Platinum Delta SkyMiles card or one of the USAA credit cards.  I currently only have one credit card (with a $300 cl... its sad) and I have a six figure income with very few bills.  Which card would you go for or is there something else I should be looking into?  I need something that has a decent CL on it or it is a complete waste of time.  The only reason I havnt closed my $300 cl card is because it is a decently old account but I would love to replace it with a card I can actually use (as right now the only card I use is my debit card).  Thanks!

Starting (01/01/11) : Approx 520
Current (11/17/11) : TU-679 / EQ-656 / EX-??
Goal (01/01/13) : >780 (all)

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
drsmith
Frequent Contributor

Re: Credit Card Choice - Delta SkyMiles or USAA

I have the Gold skymiles, and the USAA World Mastercard.

I think both are great. Why not try to get each?

Starting Score: 703
Current Score: EQ 820 4/11/16
Goal Score: 800

Message 2 of 11
ntg187
Established Member

I wouldnt be opposed to getting both but Im not sure I want to have two inquiries at the same time. I dont even plan on applying until January anyways, but I need to have a decision by then (always pays to plan ahead!). For me the biggest thing is the CL and I will need something around 10K or higher for it to even be worth carrying in my wallet... otherwise I might as well just keep using my debit card lol. The only problem is my credit score might not afford me the ability to get a limit of what I need. My score was murdered in a messy divorce that has made my credit situation quite emberassing!

Message 3 of 11
drsmith
Frequent Contributor

Well I can't help you there either.

Both companies gave my 7k. Although I only reported 30k as my annual income.

Starting Score: 703
Current Score: EQ 820 4/11/16
Goal Score: 800

Message 4 of 11
jason86423
Frequent Contributor

I have both and agree, why not go for both.  AMEX will 99.9% of the time pull Experian and USAA is going to pull Equifax.  If you can afford the pull on each bureau I would say go for it.  For Amex you really need at least 2 if not more good solid years of Credit and more than likely you will see a measly 2000 - 3000 limit.

USAA can be more lenient but does not like a lot of negative history.  It is a case of YMMV though. I app'd when I opened my USAA acount and was denied. 2 months later I app'd again and was approved, 20 days later I app'd for the USAA Amex and was approved for that also with no inquiry (they used the MC pull). 

Message 5 of 11
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

Does USAA give you great rewards for Hotels? Obviously you fly Delta but you probably need 1 card with great Hotel rewards. Amex pull EX and even though they may start you out with a $2K CL, you will be able to get an increase after 60 days at 3 X your $2K limit, than 6 months thereafter. So after 1 yr, your $2K CL will be bump up to $10K plus in no time.

One thing to note, find a card that gives great bonus points for signing up....imho, the signup bonus will get you free nights or free flights for the 1st year. Can't beat that.

Message 6 of 11
drkaje
Senior Contributor

Research both here and on whogavemecredit to see what their tolerance level is. Either of them might be sensitive about old late payments, inq, utilization, etc.... 

I really can't see a downside to applying for both same day, though. The inquiries would both fall off at the same time.

Starting Score: 675
Current Score: EX 753 FICO, EQ 737FICO, TU 738
Goal Score: 776 FICO

Message 7 of 11
ntg187
Established Member

I appreciate the responses thus far!  I have looked at the whogavemecredit site.... a very nice tool!  I had always wanted a USAA credit card (im not entirely sure why... maybe because I have them for car insurance and also banking) but the rewards on the delta card are much more practical for me.  I may decide to apply for both... the delta card for sure though.  Anyone else out there who travels a lot have a good card suggestion for hotel points or anything of that matter?

Message 8 of 11
RockinRay
Valued Contributor

Since you are a full USAA Member, give them a shot. They take good care of their members...

I think you should apply for both of them and see what happens.

Ray

Ray

** Every Card has a Job, and Every Card does its Job **
Message 9 of 11
tntexans72
Valued Contributor

@ntg187 wrote:

I appreciate the responses thus far!  I have looked at the whogavemecredit site.... a very nice tool!  I had always wanted a USAA credit card (im not entirely sure why... maybe because I have them for car insurance and also banking) but the rewards on the delta card are much more practical for me.  I may decide to apply for both... the delta card for sure though.  Anyone else out there who travels a lot have a good card suggestion for hotel points or anything of that matter?

I think it's pretty common to have 3-4 cards.

1. Delta - flyer miles

2. USAA - you bank with them (what rewards are you aiming for?)

3. Amex SPG - great hotel card and also allow you to transfer pts to Delta at 1:1 (double check) and 30,000 signup bonus.  Best hotel/airline card out there if you don't fly UA/CO

Great thing about Amex is....once you are in, all their cards are backdated which will not hurt your credit score when you signup for another card from them 5, 10yrs down the road.

Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.