Not applicable

Credit Card/Closed account question

Hello everyone,

I am trying to figure out which one do I start with today:

Credit One Bank- $500 balance closed account due to being 60 days late 

Capital One- $250 balance- $600 credit limit

Premier Credit 1- $254 balance $800 credit limit

Premier Credit 2- $180 balance $400 credit limit

How accurate is myfico credit stimulator? Sorry I am still kind of new on this site and trying to find my way around. It shows that if i pay 1041 I should see 45 point increase it's little hard to believe. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Credit Card/Closed account question

All FICO score simulators are notoriously unreliable.  You didn't mention the original credit limit of the closed account, but it looks like you have 38% aggregate utilization on the other cards (684 balance divided by 1800 total credit lines).  Everyone's profile is different, but you should see significant improvement from paying those under 29% and then again paying under 9%.  As long as the original credit line is still showing for the Credit One account, the order of payoff shouldn't matter that much.  But looking at your other card limits, I am assuming that the credit line on the Credit One account isn't that high, so you may have higher utilization on it.  I'd work on that one first and try to get it as low or paid off as possible.  Only time will heal the damage from the 60 day late, and that will likely sting for a while.

Message 2 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit One limit is 600 but their monthly fees and charges have been unrealistic. I have been paying this account off for few months now and I am still at 500 dollars balance. I will def pay it off first and then focus on paying others cards under 9% and hopefully I see some improvement. Thank you so much.

Message 3 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Isn't the Credit One closed though? So that would make the utiliation higher. If possible I would pay as mucha s possible on that on, while paying minimums on the otehrs until its paid. Then you can tackle the other cards down to zero much easier.

Message 4 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe FICO views limits on closed accounts with balance as 0, therefore the UTI for the Credit One card is over 100% and probably what's killing your score.
Message 5 of 9
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

FICO counts balances on closed accounts differently depending on how the limit is reported. At $500, if the limit is still being reported as $600, that’s 83.33% utilization and also factors into aggregate utilization. I’d certainly make that my first point of attack.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Closing-Credit-Cards/m-p/347190?jump=true
Message 6 of 9
SouthJamaica
Mega Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello everyone,

I am trying to figure out which one do I start with today:

Credit One Bank- $500 balance closed account due to being 60 days late 

Capital One- $250 balance- $600 credit limit

Premier Credit 1- $254 balance $800 credit limit

Premier Credit 2- $180 balance $400 credit limit

How accurate is myfico credit stimulator? Sorry I am still kind of new on this site and trying to find my way around. It shows that if i pay 1041 I should see 45 point increase it's little hard to believe. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated.

The balance on the closed Credit One card is killing your scores. Pay that off immediately.

Total revolving limits 741200 (620700 reporting) FICO 8: EQ 703 TU 704 EX 691

Message 7 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you everyone. I paid off the closed account 🙏
Message 8 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

The closed account will show the utilization and hurt the score. Although payments show as positive still, if making them on time,it's better to get rid of it so the utilities is corecy.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.