Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Consolidation/Card Balance Transfers

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Card Consolidation/Card Balance Transfers

Anyone had any luck with "Balance Transfers" or a Consolidation loan?  Between my wife and I,  we have about 70K in Credit Card Debt.  Our scores are bewteen 650-700,  depending on which bureau.   We have not had any missed payments & are not "over the limit" on any of the cards.   I have just been trying to figure out a way or talk to a credit card company that will allow us to transfer all or the majority of the debt,  over to one card with 0.0% balance transfer or even split it all between 2 cards.   The problem I am running into,  every card I have found with 0.0% will either approve us for a stupid low limit or not at all.  Example,  we have a US Bank Card with a 25K limit,  what good does a AMEX approval for 1K do me?  Plenty of household income to continue to pay the bills,  just feel we are spinning our wheels & blowing a ton of money at these "higher rates".   We currently have 2-Chase, 1-USBANK,  2-Citi, 1-BOA,  1-NFCU, 2-Amex Delta-Gold, 1-Cap One, 1-Discover, 2-Usaa, Target, Sleep Number, Lowes, Home Depot,  and a few others.   Any ideas?  

4 REPLIES 4
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Credit Card Consolidation/Card Balance Transfers

Hi!

If you've ran a lot of CC debt, most issuers are going to be unwilling to extend additional credit, and those that do, will often do it under less than stellar terms

In order to try and help you, it would be beneficial to list your cards with limits, utilization and APRs.

That way some people can help you create at least a pay down plan till you get in a place where BT/loan is a possibility 

Message 2 of 5
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Great advice @Remedios Smiley Happy

Op, we have alot of great members with vast experience in moving limits around but they need to see what you are working with. Id like to call on @K-in-Boston and @tcbofade , whom im sure can help once they see what you have. Good luck OpSmiley Happy
Message 3 of 5
NRB525
Super Contributor

It is doubtful you are going to get 1 or 2 cards to take that all on as 0% APR.

The thing to do is, as requested above, list out all your cards, their limits, current balance, current APR. The most likely sequence that will help you is to figure out where you can generate an "open slot", a card that handles Balance Transfer, move an amount from another card to that first "open slot" and from that second card free up another "second open slot" that handles Balance Transfers. By structuring a sequence in this way, you should be able to take a fair amount of the balances into lower APR settings, for 12 months or so. Then you have to be able to do it again after the year, so you still need to try to pay down cards to free up BT space.

You seem to have cards that are likely to allow this: NFCU, USAA, US Bank, Citi, BofA, and Discover. Chase and CapOne are possible, though not as common. AMEX and the others are not going to work at all for this.

A large part of this is also focusing payments where they will help to free up BT Space on existing cards. Are you already paying significantly more than the minium payment amounts?

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 4 of 5
tcbofade
Super Contributor

As Joey mentioned, @K-in-Boston  might be the master here, I am the trainee.  Smiley Happy

JUST got done shuffling balances around for the new year.  My wife and I are ALSO carrying a lot of credit card debt, and this year will be carrying the vast majority of it at zero percent interest, with a small fraction at 1.9%.  This is doable, but might take some time.

As mentioned, we'll need more details.  Sorry.  But we're happy to help!

NFCU is offering balance transfers for 0 or 1.9% for another six days... do you have any room on your NFCU cards?

How is your cranberry?  (credit card utilization ratio)  How's the wifes?  Any joint accounts?

04/01/24 Fico 8: EX 763, EQ 799, TU 783.
Fico 9: EX 756 03/13/24, EQ 790 02/04/24, TU No idea.

Zero percent financing is where the devil lives...
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.