Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Game Plan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Card Game Plan

I have been thinking about creating a "game plan" for credit card use, to try and get the most out of each of the cards and categories available. Here's what I've come up with so far. Let me know if you think this may be a plausible plan, or if I should add/change cards etc. Most of my expenses will fall in the groceries, dining, and entertainment categories. With occasion car rentals (and therefore gas...). Really not much in the way of travel, but when I do I normally book through Priceline. I don't spend a lot, as I am a student and do not have too much income.

This part is pretty much set in stone. Smiley Happy

First $250 groceries monthly will go to Sallie Mae. (5%)

First $250 gas monthly will go to Sallie Mae. (5%)

First $750 bookstores/Amazon will go to Sallie Mae. (5%)

I will be applying via phone for the US Bank Cash+ card. If approved, I plan to use it like this (in conjunction with my Sallie Mae):

5% on restaurants & fast food ---- perhaps throwing rental cars into the mix during certain quarters.

2% on groceries (after spending $250 with the Sallie Mae) or drug stores -- could change between quarters I suppose?

If for some reason I am denied and cannot get the US Bank Cash+ my backup options are the following:

Discover it Chrome - 2% dining & 2% gas (after spending $250 with Salie Mae)

Chase Sapphire - 2pts back on dining

Two other options that may be good that I've been looking into are the Capital one QuickSilver (1.5% back)  & Fidelity Amex (2% back on everything).

And, last but not least...I would also like to apply for the PayPal Debit Mastercard. Comes with 1% back on purchases.

So, ideally...I would only be applying for 2 or 3 additional cards - the US Bank Cash+ and the PayPal Debit Mastercard and potentially Fidelity Amex or QS.

Or, if US Bank Cash+ is denied either Discover it chrome or Chase Sapphire, PayPal Debit MC, and possibly Fidelity Amex or QS.

My questions to all of you are the following....

If I were to get the PayPal Debit MC with 1% back, could I pay a $500 Sallie Mae CC bill with it & get $5 back?

If I don't get approved for the US Bank Cash+ card would Discover it Chrome or Chase Sapphire be the better option?

If I did get the Chase Sapphire & went ahead and spent enough for the bonus, could I later "upgrade" to CSP & once again be eligible for their bonus as well?

And, finally...should I also consider looking at the QS or Fidelity Amex type of card for just random purchases that using other credit card would only yield a 1% cash back?

Thanks everyone!!

ETA: Creditkarma says my credit score is 752. And Sallie Mae gives a Fico score as 727. I'm not sure how accurate those figures are...

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Themanwhocan
Senior Contributor

Re: Credit Card Game Plan

1) Grocery & Gas: You can get a second Sallie Mae card.

2) Restaurants: You can get a second Cash+ card too. But if you can't get that card (and since they accept applications via phone I don't see why not) Then get the Chase AARP card, 3% Restaurant & 3% Gas.

3) Yes, get the Fidelity Amex. If you don't want your 2% card to be an Amex, and are willing to get cash back credited annually, then get the NASA FCU Platinum Cash Rewards VISA. The yearly cash back is only $17.50 less than the Fidelity Amex, although cash back is apparently credited to your account annually. They do give out astronomically high credit limits though (check the credit pulls database). 

4) Consider getting a Bank of America Better Balance Rewards. Its almost like free money, and you can get multiples of that card too (someone here has 4 of em)

5) If you are in Huntington Bank's area, get the Voice card too.

TU-8: 804 EX-8: 805 EQ-8: 788 EX-98: 767 EQ-04: 752    
TU-9 Bankcard: 837 EQ-9: 823 EX-9 Bankcard: 837
Total $443,800
Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Card Game Plan

I like to keep things simple, I would keep your Sallie Mae expenditure as is and pick up either the amex fidelity or the nasa fcu visa as mentioned above as your primary card for everything else

you probably have enough to worry about as a student rather than trying to maximize your credit card rewards
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.