Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Help after AMEX MESS

tag
HeavenOhio
Senior Contributor

Re: Credit Card Help after AMEX MESS

AvaMarie, your score will be dinged, but it isn't going to tank. And it'll recover farily soon. As far as your overall utilization goes, you've recouped most of your previous limits with Care Credit. Whether that application was a good thing or a mistake will depend on whether or not that card is useful to you.

I remember the sectional thing now that you've reminded us. The good news is that the adverse action was because of an isolated event. It isn't something that's going to cause your other lenders to follow suit.

At this point, I'd just concentrate on paying in full. After you do that for a while, the CLIs will come.

Message 11 of 13
LadyJEsq
Established Contributor

@AvaMarie77 wrote:

Thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions. I didn't want to use any of my savings to pay down the debt but I went to a Financial Peace class and will just pay down my debt by $5000. Instead of applying for another card. 

I am glad I didn't apply for anything else after Care Credit. I didn't know that I could hurt my score for applying. Also didn't know that other creditors will be able to see that AMEX lowered my credit line...that sucks even more

drift- I sent money to my Uncle for a sectional using Paypal, I used my Amex card to do it. I didn't know that this was not allowed. Amex placed both of my accoungts in suspension and asked for bank statement summaries but only from the account that I pay my Amex from. Once the financial review was finished they lowered my credit line from 15,000 to 3,100. They would not allow me to send in other bank summaries or w2's. 

I can understand why you wouldn't want to use your savings to pay down your debt. I was in a similar situation where I had an emergency to pay for and I put it on my CC. I always PIF, so I had a choice of either dipping into my emergency fund or savings to pay the bill or app for another CC so that I could do a balance transfer. Because I believe that we should take full advantage of all resources available to us, I opted to app for another CC instead of dipping into my funds. Debt is not a bad thing necessarily, and sometimes life happens and you have to carry debt for awhile. It's not that big of a deal. CS are a snapshot of a moment in time. So if your CSs took a hit while you paid down your debt, that's fine. They'll bounced back. Same thing with apping for additional CCs. There may be an initial decline in your score, but they'll bounce back soon enough, and depending on your profile, could increase higher than they were before. 

So, if I were you, I'd take the temporary hit to your CS (as long as you don't plan on buying a house or a car in the near future) and use your credit as it was intended to be used and save your savings. 

**FICO 8 Scores EQ EX TU **

Message 12 of 13
NRB525
Super Contributor

@AvaMarie77 wrote:

Thanks everyone for the helpful suggestions. I didn't want to use any of my savings to pay down the debt but I went to a Financial Peace class and will just pay down my debt by $5000. Instead of applying for another card. 

I am glad I didn't apply for anything else after Care Credit. I didn't know that I could hurt my score for applying. Also didn't know that other creditors will be able to see that AMEX lowered my credit line...that sucks even more

drift- I sent money to my Uncle for a sectional using Paypal, I used my Amex card to do it. I didn't know that this was not allowed. Amex placed both of my accoungts in suspension and asked for bank statement summaries but only from the account that I pay my Amex from. Once the financial review was finished they lowered my credit line from 15,000 to 3,100. They would not allow me to send in other bank summaries or w2's. 

Thanks for the added details. I remember seeing the earlier thread. 

My comments no longer apply, this is a transaction issue with AMEX, not a general condition in your credit profile. 

The reduced CL and increased utilization will have an effect on score but not from the CLD alone. 

Good luck in the steps you are taking, eventually things will work out. 

High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.