cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card/Joint

tag
DeeDee1212

Credit Card/Joint

I am new to this forum and have a credit card question.  I also have bad credit.  If someone adds me to their card and the amount of credit is high but  paid on time, will that hurt me or help?  Should I get off their card?  My new husband added me to his card.  It's paid on time, but maxed it out because he lost his job.  BUT, I have bad credit because of College Loans.  Does this hurt to add me or hurt?  Looks like hurt on my credit report. Thank you!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Credit Card/Joint

Welcome to the forum! If your husband's cc is maxed out it does not help your CS.
Message 2 of 6
zerobacan
Established Contributor

It will help if it gets pay down....

even if you get under 70% utilization

Welcome to the forums, feel free to read around, you will learn a lot!

Amex PRG NPSL, Amex Delta 2k (AU) Discover iT 5k, BOFA Siggy $5k, BOFA AlaskaAir Siggy 5k, BBVA Compass $5k! Macy's $4.5k, C1 $2.5, SFCU $2.5k, SFCU LOC $2k, Paypal SmartC $4k, Sam's 5.5k Victoria Secret $2k, Kay's $1.7k.,76/Citi $1.5k Amazon $5k, Walmart Disco $3k JC Penny $4k, C1 $2.5, BBRZ 700.
Starting:TU:536 EXP:561 : EQ:552 Current:TU:680 Walmart (2-15-14)EXP:712 FICO!! (12-4-13):EQ:622 (FICO 2-6-14) Uti 27% Goal: 720 By 12-13.
Message 3 of 6
Mopar_Jones
Contributor

It's few and far between. Being maxed out hurts your credit and lowers your score.. however, having an established tradeline ( open account for a long time ) along with being issued credit with a good payment history helps your score. In theory it's better than having no credit, but don't expect to get approved for much..

Message 4 of 6
DeeDee1212

This really is my only cc now, since he put me on hoping it would help my fico score.  Taking me off he thinks will not help m score that much.  We are paying it down and of course on time.  I just see different comments on equifax, trans and experian saying it helps and other one said it did not help

Message 5 of 6
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Having a TL showing paid as agreed does help. However, the negative is the util on that cc. Once you get it paid down to an acceptable percentage, you should see an increase.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.