Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Mail-In Offers.

tag
RushXTC
Established Contributor

Credit Card Mail-In Offers.

So, I live in California, I've been working on my credit for a while, But I get out of control with my spending (Thank god I get my senses before reaching the point of no return) and I have a bunch of credit cards, Including American Express, Discover, BoA, etc...  I was always getting those crappy offers for new credit seekers, Until now where I began being marketed by Chase, Citi, etc. I just bought my car and I'm sure that made a big difference, I was approved for a rate of 3.29% (Originally thought 3.25%, But good never the less, right?).

Well, Last night I got home and checked my mail.... hmm...  a green envelope with the word "RISE" on the top left... So I decided to open it wondering what it was, Well it's from RiseCredit.com for people with no credit or bad credit now I didn't mind this, Until I read the offer....

I was pre-approved for a $2,600 loan!

Now that seems ok, If you're trying to rebuild and need some extra $$... However in the fine print it states the APR is 224.36% HOW THE HELL IS THAT LEGAL?!?! I Thought the max they could do was 24% interest rate?!?!

It says it's 36 BI-WEEKLY payments of $236.37 which adds up to $8,509.32 in the span of 16 months... That's $5,909.32 in interest.... 

Do people actually do these things? I mean, They have to otherwise the company wouldn't be running, But why do they take so much advantage of people? This is just a slap in the face to me knowing I've worked so hard to improve my credit all this time only to get this stupid offer in the mail... -_-

Thoughts?

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

Re: Credit Card Mail-In Offers.

@RushXTC wrote:

So, I live in California, I've been working on my credit for a while, But I get out of control with my spending (Thank god I get my senses before reaching the point of no return) and I have a bunch of credit cards, Including American Express, Discover, BoA, etc...  I was always getting those crappy offers for new credit seekers, Until now where I began being marketed by Chase, Citi, etc. I just bought my car and I'm sure that made a big difference, I was approved for a rate of 3.29% (Originally thought 3.25%, But good never the less, right?).

Well, Last night I got home and checked my mail.... hmm...  a green envelope with the word "RISE" on the top left... So I decided to open it wondering what it was, Well it's from RiseCredit.com for people with no credit or bad credit now I didn't mind this, Until I read the offer....

Now that seems ok, If you're trying to rebuild and need some extra $$... However in the fine print it states the APR is 224.36% HOW THE HELL IS THAT LEGAL?!?! I Thought the max they could do was 24% interest rate?!?!

It says it's 36 BI-WEEKLY payments of $236.37 which adds up to $8,509.32 in the span of 16 months... That's $5,909.32 in interest.... 

Do people actually do these things? I mean, They have to otherwise the company wouldn't be running, But why do they take so much advantage of people? This is just a slap in the face to me knowing I've worked so hard to improve my credit all this time only to get this stupid offer in the mail... -_-

Thoughts?

Wait till you see the one offering you $25k at those rates!!!

Message 2 of 4
yudeology101
Senior Contributor

@RushXTC wrote:

Thoughts?

O my goodness, that's crazy...   You didn't jump on it...did you?

JPM Ritz Carlton $8k I UMP Club $8k I CSP $8k | Chase Hyatt $5k I AMEX Green NPSL I AMEX Delta $2k I Citi AA $2k | C1 QS $4.5k
BOA UNC-CH Alumni $6k I Hawaiian WEMC $3k I Arrival $6.5k I IT $1.5k | Merrill+ $2k | Lowes $12k | Apple $2k | +23more
Scores: EQ:671 (FICO 11) EX:686 (FICO N/C) TU:686 (FICO N/C) *8-5-14*
Overall UTIL: 14% *Gardening Since: 1/20/16*
------------------------------------------------------------
Need to stay out of trouble.... Go Heels!!! ... GC Watchlist ( #1 since 12-12-13)
Message 3 of 4
RushXTC
Established Contributor

@yudeology101 wrote:

@RushXTC wrote:

Thoughts?

O my goodness, that's crazy...   You didn't jump on it...did you?

Heck no, I usually rip them up as soon as I get them (all offers), But since I had never heard of rise, I decided to actually read the offer and this surprised me.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.