Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Mix?

tag
Peach8321
Frequent Contributor

Credit Card Mix?

Hi everyone,

I know there are a lot of similar posts, so please don't blast me, I did try to read as many as possible.

My question is this:

I'm 25 and planning on going back to school in Fall 2010 for a PhD.  My husband and I just bought a house for $125k and put down 20% and have a 5.5% rate.  I also have old student loans (around $13k left, 3.25% rate) that I'm paying on. 

I currently have (in my name only) a USAA MC w/ $12k limit (that I PIF every month, 7.75% rate) and a Victoria's Secret card w/ ~$650 limit (PIF always, rarely use).  I'm also an AU on my mother's discover, Chase Visa, and one or two other cards.  These cards she set up very early (1991) so I have a high AAoA.  However, she does sometimes run up a balance (and nearly killed our mortgage as her utilitzation was 90% last month!).

When we applied for the mortgage, my scores were all over the place, but around 720 if you average them all (I don't recall the exact number).  They were higher but my mother's util. brought them down.

What I'd like to do is apply for any other cards I'll need for at least the next 10-15 years now, and also to remove myself as an AU from my mothers cards, and then let everything age.  If I do this, my USAA MC and VS card are around 3 years old now and that'll be my new AAoA (compared to ~17 yrs now).

So, does it make sense for me to get an American Express from USAA, a Visa from somewhere, and then a Discover More?  Or would it be possible/better to move the age of the Discover card from the AU to open a new card in my name only (there is one 30 day late on the discover history, from my mother)?

This would give me one store card (VS), MC, AE, Visa, Disc, Student Loan (will be paid off in the next 5 years, once I graduate as I can defer it through the phd program), Mortgage.

Is there a better mix that y'all know of?  My eventual goal is to have 760-815 scores by 2015 (ie, one year after I graduate and pay off SL) so that we can get a new house (and by then I'll probably need a car as well).

I'm just trying to set myself up so I don't have to think about it too much and everything will just grow well.

Advice please Smiley Happy

Thanks!

Current Scores: EQ: 740 (2/7/13)

Starting Score: 799
Current Score: 762
Goal Score: 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
BungalowMo
Senior Contributor

Re: Credit Card Mix?

I don't think the bank will take your mothers account age and swap it over to a new card for you.  (besides the fact that they're just not that nice) doing so would mean that you got a card in your name at age 7, which is against the law. 

They "may" give you a card in your name transferring the age you have been on her card, but even then, I have never heard of anyone having this happen.

Many people have had much success & little regrets going with either a local or national Credit Union for new accts.

BK 7 discharge 06.24.2020 No Fico score at all. Smiley Sad
Message 2 of 3
FocusOnFICO
Regular Contributor

Re: Credit Card Mix?

Peach,

Your plan is pretty well thought out--especially the actions now to carry to the future.

Removing yourself from the AU status of your mother's accounts, especially with your utilization issues, is a sound move.

The USAA MC is a great card.  I would recommend adding a major bank like US Bank and a good cu card like Alliant, PenFed, or something similar.

The store card, credit cards, student loans, and mortgage will give you an excellent mix.  I would only think about Amex or Disc if you have particular uses for those cards.

There are many good threads on the products listed above, and others, so please peruse them to find the ones that will meet your needs.

As long as you handle the other (more weighty) aspects of high FICO characteristics (a great thread), you should have no problem reaching your FICO point goal--probably in 1/2 the time you project.

You have a great plan and good luck!

Starting Score: TU 766 EQ 788
Current Score: TU 788 EQ 811
Goal Score: TU 800 EQ 800

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.