cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Recommendations for fair FICO (650-699)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Card Recommendations for fair FICO (650-699)

I currently have two secured credit cards-one through my bank, and one through Discover. Due to an issue with my bank, I might be closing my credit card through them. Which cash back/rewards credit cards are recommended for a fair FICO (650-699)? I have 100% payment history and I'm looking to replace the card through my bank.
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Card Recommendations for fair FICO (650-699)

Go ahead check the pre-qualify link on cap1 and discover and see what they give you.

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd go Discover over Capital One if you get approvals on both. Reason being, you get a cashback match on the first year of spending, so that comes to 2% total on non category spend and 10% on category (5% normal plus 5% match).

After a year, if you keep everything current, you should be ready to apply for more specific cards to fit your needs.

Message 3 of 13
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Hi and welcome to the forums @Anonymous  

OP stated they already have a Discover card. So unless it's over a year old, and they want another one, Disco may not be in the running. 

OP, what's holding your score low(ish). What kind of negatives do you have? Collections? Charge offs? Lates? 

Are you looking for cash back card? Travel? Could you provide a little bit more information on what you're looking for in a card? 

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Remedios wrote:

OP stated they already have a Discover card. So unless it's over a year old, and they want another one, Disco may not be in the running. 

ooops. Sorry...guess I should not hop in before my coffee.

Message 5 of 13
ChargedUp
Senior Contributor

Hit all the SP pre-qual sites and see who likes you. AMEX is another one you may be able to get.
Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Three collections (currently being disputed), one late credit card payment in 2014 from a now closed credit card (Goodwill letter pending for possible removal), and negative student loan payments from 2015 (now included in loans consolidated in 2018 and paid up-to-date).
Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the warm welcome!

I love the cash back aspect of the card.
Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

What is SP?
Message 9 of 13
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:
What is SP?

SP = Soft Pull

Below is a helpful link that can assist with any of the abbreviations used throughout the site.  Welcome!

Guide to Common Abbreviations

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.