cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Recommendations

tag

Credit Card Recommendations

After rebuilding my credit for the past six years, my hard work has finally paid off! I checked myFICO this weekend, and my Equifax and Transunion are both a 703; I have yet to check my Experian. Last week, I applied for a few credit cards (just to get more accounts on my report), and I was approved for five out of six; they are Target ($300), Barclays Rewards ($1300), Walmart ($900), USAA ($2000) and NFCU ($7500). I also have a few deferred student loans (still in school), as well as a car loan from Nissan (bal of $28,281). 

I have six inquiries on each report, and I understand that's a bit too high, but I'm still curious as to which other cards I could possibly be approved for. I applied for a Discover IT last year, but my credit score at the time was about a 640. I also had two very old collections that were just removed this month. The only other card that I was denied was a Gold Delta SkyMiles from American Express, but I'm thinking you need an excellent score for this one. Is there a chance I could be approved for the Blue Cash Everyday Card or does AE have the same credit requirements for all cards? 

Oh, since I'm still a student, my income is a bit low at $24,500. 

Any help/advice is MUCH appreciated! Thanks! 

NFCU Cash Rewards - $7500; USAA Platinum - $2000; Barclays Rewards Mastercard - $1300; Walmart - $900; Capital One - $500; Target - $300; USAA Student Card - $300
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Vegas247
Established Contributor

Re: Credit Card Recommendations

@savagestorm2015 wrote:

After rebuilding my credit for the past six years, my hard work has finally paid off! I checked myFICO this weekend, and my Equifax and Transunion are both a 703; I have yet to check my Experian. Last week, I applied for a few credit cards (just to get more accounts on my report), and I was approved for five out of six; they are Target ($300), Barclays Rewards ($1300), Walmart ($900), USAA ($2000) and NFCU ($7500). I also have a few deferred student loans (still in school), as well as a car loan from Nissan (bal of $28,281). 

I have six inquiries on each report, and I understand that's a bit too high, but I'm still curious as to which other cards I could possibly be approved for. I applied for a Discover IT last year, but my credit score at the time was about a 640. I also had two very old collections that were just removed this month. The only other card that I was denied was a Gold Delta SkyMiles from American Express, but I'm thinking you need an excellent score for this one. Is there a chance I could be approved for the Blue Cash Everyday Card or does AE have the same credit requirements for all cards? 

I got a BCE with a EX of 658 with a $45.00 parking ticket collection unpaid from 6/2010, a satisfied judgement from 6/2010, but I have 3 mortgages paid in full, an old closed credit card with 55 perfect payments, and a Wells Fargo personal loan paid perfect from 9 years ago, a 3 month old WF secured card, and a Barclay Rewards MC with a $3500 CL. 92k salary.

$600 Barclaycard® Rewards MasterCard® - Average Credit $6500 Blue Cash Everyday® Card from American Express $30k credit card16k Chase Freedom® - $200 Bonus12k VSiggy
Message 2 of 4
takeshi74
Senior Contributor

@savagestorm2015 wrote:

The only other card that I was denied was a Gold Delta SkyMiles from American Express, but I'm thinking you need an excellent score for this one. Is there a chance I could be approved for the Blue Cash Everyday Card or does AE have the same credit requirements for all cards? 

IIRC the Gold Delta Skymiles is generally regarded as having easier approval.

@savagestorm2015 wrote:

I have six inquiries on each report, and I understand that's a bit too high, but I'm still curious as to which other cards I could possibly be approved for.

Is that the only requirement?  I'd highly recommend the standard suggestion of quality over quantity.  What are you looking to gain from additional cards?

Message 3 of 4
_jb_
Frequent Contributor

@savagestorm2015 wrote:

Last week, I applied for a few credit cards (just to get more accounts on my report), and I was approved for five out of six; they are Target ($300), Barclays Rewards ($1300), Walmart ($900), USAA ($2000) and NFCU ($7500). I also have a few deferred student loans (still in school), as well as a car loan from Nissan (bal of $28,281). 

[...]

I think with the cards you just opened, the car loan, and the current income, now is a good time to let your accounts/reports cool. More than likely you will start to see more declines than approvals due to new accounts, DTI, etc. Go for whichever card is going to best suit your needs in 6 months, but only if there is one that actually suits your needs.

Starting Scores: myFICO EQ: 678, myFICO TU: 676, myFICO EX: 678 (01/2013)
Latest Scores: myFICO EQ: 789, myFICO TU: 782, myFICO EX: 788
My Wallet: American Express BCE, NFCU cashRewards, Capital One Quicksilver, Discover It, Chase Freedom, Chase Amazon Rewards
Gardening since 02/07/17
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.