Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Usage... Best way to Show?

tag
Sabrian31487
Regular Contributor

Credit Card Usage... Best way to Show?

I am still learning when it comes to credit and want to know how is the best way to show you are using your card so it doesnt get cancelled? would the best way be to put a small balance on all the cards and then pay off right a way? or put a small balance on all cards and let them show a balance on my statement and THEN pay? I have only had my credit cards for about 4 months so im sure im still far away from having any cancelled.. thanks

Keith

Discover IT 02/2013 (1000.00),Chase Freedom 02/2013 (3000.00),AmEx Blue Cash Everyday 06/2013 (3000.00)
Citi Simplicity 06/2013 (1000.00)
TU FICO - 718 , CK TU - 738 , Credit.com EX - 727, Quizzle.com - 720, CreditSesame.com - 720

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Credit Card Usage... Best way to Show?

What I've done (ESP for DH) is allocate a recurring bill or pay utility like bills. That way they can see usage. On store cards, I use them at least every quarter - socks, pjs, sheets - whatever just so I don't get a CLD from lack of usage.

I let the balances post then I PIF. Once in awhile I will let a sm bal carryover but not much.
Message 2 of 4
SnackTrader
Valued Contributor

Generally, Your cards won't be cancelled as long as you make all your payments by their due date, and as long as you don't let them go inactive. Every lender has different standards for what is considered inactivity, but just to be safe I would use each of your cards at least once every 3-4 months.

In My Wallet: Amex BCP (12/12) $50,000, Chase Freedom (12/12) $16,500, Cap1 Quicksilver (6/12) $14,000, Barclaycard Rewards (5/13) $10,500, Citi Prestige (4/16) $30,000

Last App: June 27, 2015
Message 3 of 4
HiLine
Blogger

I like to keep utilization under control so I don't set up recurring charges. Instead, I simply casually pull a card out of the sock drawer to make a purchase on it once in a while. I only have 10 cards though.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.