Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card Usage for high FICO score

tag
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Credit Card Usage for high FICO score

@Anonymous wrote:
I have one CC I haven't used in 2 years and 2 months. They haven't closed it yet but I'm thinking I might as well use it just to be sure. Can I seriously just put $1-2 on it every 2 months and hope its okay? Does anyone have experience in this?

If you have some small monthly bills; newspaper, utilities, etc. just setup automatic bill pay with your CC. That way you don't have to worry about how long it's been since you last used it. Just remember to check your account frequently (I check all of mine everyday) so you get it paid before the statement posts each month. Thus no interest owed.

7/09
TU-742
EQ-779

Time can heal all wounds and a low FICO. 

Message 61 of 67
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I have one CC I haven't used in 2 years and 2 months. They haven't closed it yet but I'm thinking I might as well use it just to be sure. Can I seriously just put $1-2 on it every 2 months and hope its okay? Does anyone have experience in this?

Which issuer is this forgiving of disuse?
Message 62 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

So it is a Goodyear credit card that can only be used at Goodyear. Is there any point in using this card or do store cards like this remain open indefinitely? Can store cards in general only be used at the specific store it is for?
Message 63 of 67
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Smiley Wink
@Anonymous wrote:
So it is a Goodyear credit card that can only be used at Goodyear. Is there any point in using this card or do store cards like this remain open indefinitely? Can store cards in general only be used at the specific store it is for?

Well it is a Citigroup product and there is no telling how long it will remain open if not used. Retail cards tend to stay open a lot longer that regular CC's, sometimes many years. Sometimes they go into a sort of suspended animation where they are not closed, but they will check your credit if use is attempted. Some use will usually avoid this. I can't find a list of places where this card can be used, so it looks like Goodyear is it. One wheel alignment or oil change a year will most likely do the trick. (Keeping your card open. I recommend a more frequest oil change.)

Message 64 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the info. Will start using the card for oil changes once/year!

Will this Goodyear card count as a store card so I don't need to open another card to help the mix? 

Message 65 of 67
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Yes.
Message 66 of 67
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for all the useful info everyone. I have basically changed everything that is modifiable in my credit habits and now am essentially waiting for time to play its factor in my 800 score. Will get credit reports every 4 months and reassess my score next year. Also plan on opening a few more credit cards in January.
Message 67 of 67
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.