Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card available credit amount after payment - reporting to CRA

tag
wife2froggy
Contributor

Credit Card available credit amount after payment - reporting to CRA

Hi Smiley Happy

Just paid off all my cards. Woohoo! Some, like Capital One and Discover, gave me my full available credit immediately. Others are holding the money forever, but are going to be reporting $0 on my statement. 

The question is, if I have an available line of $2500 and a $0 balance (but they're holding $1500) will they show my available credit as $2500 or $1000?

Thank you Smiley Happy

On the road!
FICO 8 6/15/17 EQ 591 // TU 570 // EX 606

FICO 8 03/15/2021 EQ 702 // TU 700 // EX 699
Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Card available credit amount after payment - reporting to CRA

That may depend on which bank you are talking about and your history with them. Some may hold funds until they clear your bank, until you have some history with them and they see you’re good for the money, and then free it up. Amex used to reflect an updated balance for me after a day when I was new with them, but now they release the credit line instantly.
Message 2 of 13
wife2froggy
Contributor

Hi Smiley Happy Thank you -

My question isn't so much about the held funds. I don't care about that (even though the funds cleared my bank a week ago. I know it's their game)

It was more about how it will affect the "available balance" or debt to credit ratio when they report.

On the road!

Message 3 of 13
thornback
Senior Contributor

Your credit limit will reflect as $2500.   Your balance will be $0.   And your utilization will be 0%.    

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 4 of 13
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@thornback wrote:

Your credit limit will reflect as $2500.   Your balance will be $0.   And your utilization will be 0%.    

And FYI, if your UT is 0 across the board, you will lose some points on your scores. Always let one card report between $5-20. 

Also congrats on paying off debt!

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 5 of 13
wife2froggy
Contributor

Thank you! I have a couple of small auto-pays on my Discover so I can get the rewards Smiley Happy

On the road!

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

It depends on the bank and the amount. It could take up to 2 weeks, since a stop payment could happen on your part, which I'm sure you don't want to do. Once 2 weeks pass, the payment is permanent and available credit is restored. Good chance its before 2 weeks.

Message 7 of 13
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

It depends on the bank and the amount. It could take up to 2 weeks, since a stop payment could happen on your part, which I'm sure you don't want to do. Once 2 weeks pass, the payment is permanent and available credit is restored. Good chance its before 2 weeks.

At the risk of taking the thread off-topic, unless there's been a change I'm not aware of (which is certainly possible) there's no rule that makes ACH-pull transfers permanent after two weeks.  I can even share that I've personally reversed pull transactions well past that point.

While I've not had to deal with a payment hold in a while, I know they can be annoying.  In my own experience the length of the hold was usually somewhat arbitrary based on the bank's perceived risk, with larger payments having longer hold times. 

The longest hold I ever had was 10 business days, and was with HSBC/Orchard Bank.  After that, I pushed my payments using my bank's billpay and I never had the issue again.  Even back when my only cards were sub-prime I never had a hold when I paid via 'ACH-push' using my bank's billpay.

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@UncleB wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

At the risk of taking the thread off-topic, unless there's been a change I'm not aware of (which is certainly possible) there's no rule that makes ACH-pull transfers permanent after two weeks.  I can even share that I've personally reversed pull transactions well past that point.

While I've not had to deal with a payment hold in a while, I know they can be annoying.  In my own experience the length of the hold was usually somewhat arbitrary based on the bank's perceived risk, with larger payments having longer hold times. 

The longest hold I ever had was 10 business days, and was with HSBC/Orchard Bank.  After that, I pushed my payments using my bank's billpay and I never had the issue again.  Even back when my only cards were sub-prime I never had a hold when I paid via 'ACH-push' using my bank's billpay.

The banks I've dealt with can take up to 2 weeks to finalize. I've had a payment fail 2 weeks after payment. It probably can vary with different banks.

When I checked my payment to Wells Fargo Propel, it took 2 weeks to restore available credit. I've never seen it take longer than that. Smaller payments took less.

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats on the payoff, it's nice feeling not having any CC balances!

For me, the only Bank that restores available credit lines immediately upon payment, is Citibank.

All others seem to take around 2-3 days. 

What I think is odd, is when i pay my Chase CC from my linked Chase checking account. It stays pending for a 1-2 days. I mean seriously, you see how much is in there, I'm good for it. lol

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.