Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card for my Girlfriend?

tag
eagles08
Regular Contributor

Credit Card for my Girlfriend?

My girlfriend has be conscious of he credit lately, thanks to me! I'm always talking about my cards and what I want next and my scores! I talked her into getting a Discover earlier this year which was her first card and it took her a while to get used to handling on her own but I think she likes it. She was an AU on her moms account but just got removed from that because sometimes her mom likes to carry large balances and miss payments. Well now I think she is ready for another card of her own! What should she go for and when?! Discover has already given her a decent auto CLI! I think maybe the Freedom but Chase likes to see a little more history I think but she may have a good shot at recon if not instantly approved. She didn't mention to me the amazon card. How about AMEX, does she even have a shot at the BCE? Any other suggestions are welcome!!
AMEX BCE- $12,600 I Discover IT- $10,000 I Chase Freedom- $7,000 I Citi Double Cash- $3,300 I Best Buy- $2,800 I Bayport CU Visa- $1,000
Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

Re: Credit Card for my Girlfriend?

Besides the Discover, your DG has no other cc's? Any baddies? Inq's?
Message 2 of 17
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

How long exactly has your GF had her Discover?

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 3 of 17
eagles08
Regular Contributor

That's her only card! She got it in February I think. No baddies and her only inq is the Discover! She's basically just starting and doesn't necessarily want somethin right now but maybe in the near future. She mentioned she wants a new MAC and I suggested either the Apple card or I'd really rather see her get the Best Buy card because I think the no interest deals are pretty good but I think she also needs something that makes a good every day rewards card.
AMEX BCE- $12,600 I Discover IT- $10,000 I Chase Freedom- $7,000 I Citi Double Cash- $3,300 I Best Buy- $2,800 I Bayport CU Visa- $1,000
Message 4 of 17
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

If she's only had Discover for 4 months, IMO, Freedom will want a min of 6 mos of rev cc history. Barclays might be a good fit- the Rewards or SallieMae
Message 5 of 17
tinuviel
Moderator Emeritus

@eagles08 wrote:
That's her only card! She got it in February I think. No baddies and her only inq is the Discover! She's basically just starting and doesn't necessarily want somethin right now but maybe in the near future. She mentioned she wants a new MAC and I suggested either the Apple card or I'd really rather see her get the Best Buy card because I think the no interest deals are pretty good but I think she also needs something that makes a good every day rewards card.

With no baddies, her only problem is thin history. Perhaps in another month or two, after she has six full months reporting, she might have a shot with Freedom. It's a nice card and a good compliment to Discover. If nothing else, she might have a decent chance at recon if she's not approved outright. Good luck to her.

Current Scores: EQ 775 (03/04/2014), EX 756 (03/01/2014), TU 760 (03/01/2014)
Ruby Spade Garden Club Member - Last App: 03/04/2013 - No apps until 2014
Cards: Cap1 Venture 6.4k, Cap1 Quicksilver MC 1.75k, BankAmericard 1-2-3 Visa Signature - UCF Alumni Association 5k, Discover 7k, Citi Diamond Preferred MC 10.35k, Wells Fargo Rewards Visa 7k, Chase Freedom 5k, Chase Ink 7.5k, Amex Green NPSL, Dillard's Amex 7.5k, JC Penney 7.5k, Kay Jeweler's 5.1k
Message 6 of 17
eagles08
Regular Contributor

Hmmm I don't know a lot about Barclays, I think we'll look into em! I think she definitely wants to wait at least until 6 months if not the end of this year really. There's so many cards, Id like to see her get a good one!
Message 7 of 17
Odiseous
Frequent Contributor

@eagles08 wrote:
My girlfriend has be conscious of he credit lately, thanks to me! I'm always talking about my cards and what I want next and my scores! I talked her into getting a Discover earlier this year which was her first card and it took her a while to get used to handling on her own but I think she likes it. She was an AU on her moms account but just got removed from that because sometimes her mom likes to carry large balances and miss payments. Well now I think she is ready for another card of her own! What should she go for and when?! Discover has already given her a decent auto CLI! I think maybe the Freedom but Chase likes to see a little more history I think but she may have a good shot at recon if not instantly approved. She didn't mention to me the amazon card. How about AMEX, does she even have a shot at the BCE? Any other suggestions are welcome!!

AmEx will want a full year of history.

Might want to have her opt-in, then bring all CC she receives to you, so you can filter out the Orchard Bank and First Premier offers.

Oh, and make sure you own a shredder. She'll get a lot of offers from those 2 for awhile.

TU98 751, EQ 766, EX 766 (Lender)

If at first you don't succeed; Garden for 6 months, then try again.

Work the system. Don't let the system work you.
Message 8 of 17
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

What is the limit on the Discover?

How about we play less guessing game of who will want this and that of history and take full advantage of some of these fab pre-qual.

Go to Chase.com and do that and see if she gets offer for Freedom or...

Citicards.com

Barclay has the brand new pre-qual. that seems so far to be 100% approval IF you get "Congratulations.... and a choice of card... the list of cards you might like means close the window!

She should be very much fine for a Amex Charge... just would be iffy on a credit card but she could do both at same time then won't matter if she gets declined for credit card but approved charge.

Message 9 of 17
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

I'm sure this is not the case, but this made me laugh:

My girlfriend has be conscious of he credit lately, thanks to me! I'm always talking about my cards and what I want next and my scores!

Hope she isn't posting on social media: "I do have a SO for now but it's just endless talk about  **** credit cards and  scores.  Help!"

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.