cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card info help

tag
digracer

Credit Card info help

NEWBE here but been reading these forums for MONTHS. I have bad credit.....duh. Following info I got from here I applied for a Cap 1 secured card and was approved for $200 with only a $49 deposit. I took this card up to $1000 with additional deposits and just recieved a BoA secured card with $300 limit.

My credit score is 565 due to late payments, one collection, (which I paid and was assured it would ne removed), and no credit cards of any kind.

My question here is I'd like another secured credit card but IM LOST as to which one is the best third card? Someone settle this for me!!! Whats the best secured cards out there?????

8-24-2012
Experian.........565
9-10-2012
Experian-------585
Equifax---------582
Transunion----561
9-16-2012
Experian ------599
9-18-2012-----600
9-24-2013-----657
Ultimate Goal------750 by 1-1-14

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Credit Card info help

Welcome belatedly to the forums then Smiley Happy

Hopefully the mods will move this to the Credit Cards forum; but honestly, you have likely the best two secured cards available for non-military affiliated folk assuming you've gotten the 1-2-3 rewards added to your package.

Really a third secured card can be anything at this point if you decide to go that route; it's unlikely that you can beat the rewards available on the BOFA card and as such it's mostly just a tradeline.  Any additional funds I'd continue depositing into the Cap One card as you already have been.

That said, how long have you had the Cap One card and is that a current score?  Also how long ago were the various negative marks?  Unless we're talking really recently for everything (including the C1 card) I sort of doubt that's your FICO now and you might be in a better spot than you think.

        
Message 2 of 15
digracer

Both Cap1 and BOFA cards are brand new as well as the FICO score. I have three 30 days late auto loans in the past 6 months but been current since and will never be late again. no mortgage, house paid for, and just two auto loans and two credit cards now. Gonna pay on time every time and check CS again and hopefull I can pull it up several points.

8-24-2012
Experian.........565
9-10-2012
Experian-------585
Equifax---------582
Transunion----561
9-16-2012
Experian ------599
9-18-2012-----600
9-24-2013-----657

Message 3 of 15
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@digracer wrote:

NEWBE here but been reading these forums for MONTHS. I have bad credit.....duh. Following info I got from here I applied for a Cap 1 secured card and was approved for $200 with only a $49 deposit. I took this card up to $1000 with additional deposits and just recieved a BoA secured card with $300 limit.

My credit score is 565 due to late payments, one collection, (which I paid and was assured it would ne removed), and no credit cards of any kind.

My question here is I'd like another secured credit card but IM LOST as to which one is the best third card? Someone settle this for me!!! Whats the best secured cards out there?????

Welcome to the forums digracer.   A little reading might help.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/User-Guidelines-General/Common-Abbreviations/td-p/88458

Now with that said, we need to introduce you to the world of GWs and see if we can get some of those baddies off there.

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Rebuilding-Your-Credit/GW-letter-Q-amp-A-Examples-and-GW-Success-Sto...

Read up, post any questions and good luck!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 4 of 15
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

I would advise that you just sit and wait a couple months (for best results wait 6 but its hard to wait when you are just starting out), then you should be able to AP for a CapOne unsecured credit card. Your score will go up once your secured cards report, use the secured cards lightly, try to PIF each month before statement cuts. Thanks to all the paperwork and slow processing, it may be quicker just to wait an AP for the unsecured card anyway. 

After you have had the unsecured card for 6 months and perfect payment history and no other baddies you should be good for AMEX Zync.

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 5 of 15
nicholasyud
Valued Contributor

I wouldsent GW letter to both collection and late loan and see if the can remove its not hard to try.......also with both of the brand new card makyour AAOA getting low so my suggest is stand on what you had now for maybe 1years but you canalso request them to PC YOUR card to one of the reward cards..........again not hurt to try and know the 9% utility rule .....if your credit limit 200 then onlycharge 20 each month.........for your better Fico score and keep reading on is forum you would learn a lot .......

Starting Score: 560
Current Score: ?
Goal Score: 800
Message 6 of 15
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

@nicholasyud wrote:

I wouldsent GW letter to both collection and late loan and see if the can remove its not hard to try.......also with both of the brand new card makyour AAOA getting low so my suggest is stand on what you had now for maybe 1years but you canalso request them to PC YOUR card to one of the reward cards..........again not hurt to try and know the 9% utility rule .....if your credit limit 200 then onlycharge 20 each month.........for your better Fico score and keep reading on is forum you would learn a lot .......

+1

good ideas. 

you can charge more than $20 a month just don't go over the limit or 90% of your limit and PIF before statement cuts. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 7 of 15
Wolf3
Senior Contributor

@digracer wrote:

I used 3 secured cards to rebuild, but I now think that was overkill.   IMO, it is much better to use the extra money to increase the deposits and CL on the 2 cards you have (Good choices by the way).    It is very easy to do on Capital One.  

Message 8 of 15
digracer

Bumped my Cap 1 card up today to $3000 limit via an additional deposit. CK gave me a FAKO today of 540......kinda depressing considering I know my real score is 565 via Experian. Gonna bump up my BOFA card soon as funds allow me. Should I pay off any balances ASAP or wait till the billing cycle? I was charge the $29 fee for the Cap 1 card and paid it off immediately. Cap 1 has not reported to any bureau yet the BOFA already has. I have not used either card for anything yet.

Altho I am a newbe here, I feel like a vet due to the fact I have been reading these forums for months since I decided to rebuild my credit back to the 750+ glory days.

8-24-2012
Experian.........565
9-10-2012
Experian-------585
Equifax---------582
Transunion----561
9-16-2012
Experian ------599
9-18-2012-----600
9-24-2013-----657

Message 9 of 15
digracer

Thanks for the info guys but in regards to the GW letters, is it common to have 30 days lates removed when they are real and 100% my fault?

8-24-2012
Experian.........565
9-10-2012
Experian-------585
Equifax---------582
Transunion----561
9-16-2012
Experian ------599
9-18-2012-----600
9-24-2013-----657

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.