cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card to Suit my needs in this Situation?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Card to Suit my needs in this Situation?

Hi everyone, im wondering which cc i should get? Heres my stats and my goals:

Current cc: ink cash, freedom, csp, amex simply cash, wf cashwise, aarp by chase. I currently have 100k points on my csp.

Credit score: hovers around 796-810

Minimum spend i can put in 90’days: up to $1000 (would like to get the captial one savor1, but 3k is really pushing in. Maybe $1500-2000).

Goals: Would like a no af, card i can downgrade like the csp/csr. Want to get the biggest signup bonusand overall good card i can get.

I plan on traveling to tokyo (and if possible DR or Cuba) this year. Wondering if i should target cash back or travel. Not sure which airline i would use to get to tokyo?
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: Credit Card to Suit my needs in this Situation?

Define "good card"
Without knowing what gaps you have in reward categories it is hard to make recommendations on "good" long term cards
Message 2 of 14
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

Virgin is currently running a special, round trip first class to Japan for under 100k miles. I believe MR points transfer 1:1, so if you were able to secure an Amex platinum with the 100k sub, you could fly for the cost of the AF.

Edit: sorry, just caught what you can afford to spend. You won't be able to hit the sub.

Message 3 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hi, i meant to say based on the information i supplied, which card would you reccomended for the highest cashback or travel (based on my situation)?

Also i forgot to mention when they were opened for 5/24:

Freedom- 2014
Ink cash- 2016 (1st quarter in Jan)
Simply- 2016 (2nd quarter in July)
Csp-2017 (2nd quarter in Apr)
Aarp-2017 (4th quarter in Dec)
Cashwise-2018 (2nd quarter in May)

*also added as AU to a target redcard (oct/dec) in 2018.
Message 4 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would love to get the platinum, but isnt there a min spend? Also i have to pay the af upfront (can do if that means getting the 100k points)
Message 5 of 14
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
I would love to get the platinum, but isnt there a min spend? Also i have to pay the af upfront (can do if that means getting the 100k points)

Yes, which is why I edited. 5k spend in 90 days and the AF is $550. If your bills added up to $5k, you would be flying to Japan for $550. Also, don't remember how long the Virgin special is, but I doubt it will be around in a month, much less 90 days.

Message 6 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

Virgin is running a special to Japan. I know Alaska airlines points transfer to them.
Message 7 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

When you say you have 100k points...is that your base points or the 1.25 through the portal?

I would strongly consider PC'ing your CSP to the CSR for the year at least (the annual fee is small since you'll be using the credit with your travel plans). And PC'ing your freedom to a freedom unlimited.

Use those two for all your purchases. The CSR portal gives your points a 1.5 value. As it stands, it's like getting an extra 25k points for upgrading (assuming you have 100k base).

After that, I would just take advantage of bank offering $100-300 for opening an account with them. Get the bonus, close account and take your money to your main.
And sign up for whatever combination of easy cash SUB cards with no AF you can hit. (This part is given with disregard to dropping your AAoA).
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was curious, would pcing my csp to a csr result in a credit check and af? I just paid the af for the csr
Message 9 of 14
UncleB
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
I was curious, would pcing my csp to a csr result in a credit check and af? I just paid the af for the csr

There's no HP for a PC, although they might do a SP depending on your credit line and overall profile. 

When you say you just paid the AF for the CSR I'm assuming you meant CSP... in that case they will credit it and charge you the AF for the new account type.

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.