cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Card to pay Student Loans? (Not what it looks like)

tag
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

Re: Credit Card to pay Student Loans? (Not what it looks like)

Rhaeny wrote:

Okay gotcha....I had to go back and read everything.  Thanks for explaining it again...LOL!!!  

I was so excited thinking that I found a way to get more rewards that Smiley Embarassed.

That's what option 2 is all about!

Message 31 of 45
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

At 2.5%, it's about a break-even if you use a high-end rewards card. The United Club or SPG can easily return 2.5-3% or more, but others can be quite iffy.
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 32 of 45
unc0mm0n1
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

As paying with a credit card only supplants one form of debt with another, Nelnet only accepts credit/debit card payments on federal student loans in the following instances:

- Your account is current and the next payment is due within three days or less (payment amount can be made only in the amount of your monthly payment).    

- Your account is delinquent and the credit/debit card payment will bring your account current.

- Your account is delinquent and the credit/debit card payment will bring your account current plus pay the current month’s payment.      

- Your bank account is through a foreign bank, regardless of whether your account is delinquent or current.

Credit/debit card payments can only be made over the phone. There is a $15.00 fee assessed to all credit/debit card payments.

Simple. Safe. Smart.  Visit
www.nelnet.com and click “Manage My Account” to access your statements and account correspondence, sign up for automatic payments through KwikPay®, make a payment, change your repayment option, apply for a deferment or forbearance, and much more!

1.888.486.4722. We’re here to help you reach your goals.

This would be a good option if you are going ot pay all at once. I plan to pay my 10k debt at one time so 1% would be $100 and that would negate the $15 fee.

Last App March 23, 2015. Gardening until November 25, 2015
Current Score: 766 EX 734 EQ 780 TU 6/30/2015Starting Score/Goal Score: 580s/780s across the board
Message 33 of 45
MovingForward_2012
Valued Contributor

My student loans can only be paid back directly through my bank account. Same thing as my auto lease payment and mortgage.
Cards: Orchard Bank ($1100) | Cap1 Cash Rewards ($2500) | Chase Freedom ($1000) | Best Buy ($2500) | Discover It ($1000) | Barclay Rewards ($2500) | Current scores: EX FAKO: 684, CK TU: 649, FICO EQ: 680, FICO TU: 698, FICO EX: 658 Happy Homeowner Since 2/6/13! Smiley Happy Last App: 4/5/13 Gardening until July 2014
Message 34 of 45
StartingLifeOver
Regular Contributor

I was thinking the same way, OP. I have Sallie Mae but I didn't even see the option to use a cc with a fee as drkaje mentioned. My acct shows an offer of a .25% interest rate reduction, if I allow automatic debit of my checking acct--Huge no-no to me. Auto-bill to my credit card, however, show me where to sign up! Why shouldn't we earn cash back while paying these loans off?
NFCU Cash Rewards $16,100/FNBO Platinum $9.100/Best Buy Citibank $2,500/Care Credit $7,600/TJ Maxx $1000/Neiman Marcus $7000/Saks5thAve $2500

Starting Score: 426 Ch. 13 BK Filed Sep 2009; Discharged Jan 2013 Smiley Happy
Current Score: TU 706 EQ FICO 701 EX 704
Goal Score: 720

Message 35 of 45
Astraywhit

Because the credit cards would be charging them a fee to process the transaction; which is handed partially back to you in the form of cashback...
Message 36 of 45
Astraywhit

Btw if I had the choice of auto pay from checking for reduce rate of .25 I would take it, that's essentially cash back but instead of letting you purchase something with it it goes "back into your loan"
Message 37 of 45
MoneyWriter
New Visitor

So, I'm curious, BlueHusky, did you try paying the student loan with a credit card and did it work?

Message 38 of 45
enharu
Super Contributor

@MoneyWriter wrote:

So, I'm curious, BlueHusky, did you try paying the student loan with a credit card and did it work?

you can use certain services such as charge smart, but there's a fee.

some lenders allow student loans to be paid via credit cards as well, but usually they'll charge a fee which makes it not worthwhile if you're trying to do it for rewards.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 39 of 45
panth0r
New Visitor

I couldn't help but sign up just to say, "the 14.95 transaction fee may well be mitigated by any rewards/points/miles/etc. earned."

Let's say a point is redeemable for $0.01 and a point is earned for each dollar spent.  In the OP's agressive payoff stragety ($2000-2500 per month), that's $20-$25 earned in points!

As has already been stated, there's go-between services that allow you to pay down your loans with a credit card, usually/always for some fee.

Stack those points and reward yourself with a video game console or something for the discipline and rigor needed to accomplish this goal!

Message 40 of 45
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.