Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Cards and Reporting Balances

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Cards and Reporting Balances

I’ve read a lot of information here and my goal now after I lived through a rebuild and having OCD about payments I kind of want to go on auto pilot and set everything to auto pay. The problem is I don’t want my score to tank if 3/7 cards report balances.

Is there a happy medium to this? I knew it would be more challenging managing multiple cards but obsessing over it is making me crazy. I guess it’s a good thing? I do know I will never miss a payment or pay credit card interest ever again. Just seeking a happy medium.

If I didn’t pay down my CSP it would report at 84%. So I paid most of it down before the statement cut then the rest the next time I got paid which was two weeks prior to the due date. My limits don’t match my spend as I have a few baddies as recent as two years ago.

I’m hoping with time I’ll get he baddies off via GW letters, the baddies age, and / or I get an auto CLI from chase if I pass through a lot of spend. I use both personal and business expenses through my CFU and CSP which comes out to about $5k to $6k a month and go upwards of $10k during our busy season. Combined their limits are $12,600.

I will note I opened three cards since September with two of them on the same day (BCP and CSP on November1st and CFU on September 25th). My scores will also take a hit (not sure how much) as both new cards didn’t report yet.

Most importantly, I dont want to risk a chase shutdown so I’m in the garden for at least 6 months until I get the freedom or an Ink Card. Which is why I won’t mind having balances report as when I’m ready I can adopt the AZEO method the month prior to applying.

Just trying to find a happy medium. Really, thank you for these forums. It changed my fiscal life and overall attitude of credit.
10 REPLIES 10
Gmood1
Super Contributor

Re: Credit Cards and Reporting Balances

What are your current FICO scores? 

It would be best to keep your utilization under 29%. Once your limits grow higher, you won't have to worry about that or micromanaging payments.

AZEO is unnessary unless your scores are below average. 

I have allowed up to 18 of my CCs to report in a given month. It hasn't affected my scores much, if at all. It sure hasn't caused Chase to run me down. lol

I will also encourage you to look at lenders outside of Chase for growth. You have plenty to choose from that will grow very fast. Amex being one of them. I find them much easier to work with as a whole.

Message 2 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

True FICO score are:

Ex 717
Tu 745
EQ 749

These are prior to the new cards reporting. My AAoA is 6 years with my longest account is ten years.

My overal revolver limit is $37,400 so 28% of that would be $10,400. But if it gets that high the util on individual cards would be higher.
Message 3 of 11
Gmood1
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
True FICO score are:

Ex 717
Tu 745
EQ 749

These are prior to the new cards reporting. My AAoA is 6 years with my longest account is ten years.

My overal revolver limit is $37,400 so 28% of that would be $10,400. But if it gets that high the util on individual cards would be higher.

You have great scores!!

Your AAoA is more than double of mine. I've had 9 new cards to report since July of this year and two more that will report next month.

My current scores are close to what they are in my signature. Some of them are a little higher now.

Just use your cards and pay them. Try not to worry about which CC's report and which ones don't . I'm proof, none of that matters.

These banks want people that use their CC's. Not those that put them on a mantle to admire.

Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

After I get the chase cards I want to build out my Amex lineup. I can make use of both systems but wanted to secure the Chase cards first because of 5/24.

Not sure what direction I want to go in with my setup but the CSP and CFU were the two I wanted. Was thinking of PC’n the CFU to CF then maybe upgrade to the CSR. I would a variation of the following lineup:

CIP: Hotels
CSR/CSP: Dining (if CSR)/ Generic Travel
CF: 5x rotators
Amex Gold: Groceries / Dining (If I don’t PC CSP)
Amex Plat: perks / status + airfare spend
BB: Non Catagory spend

Two business cards that don’t report would be ideal. I can make use of the Amex charge card credits. If my non cat spend is high I can get the CIP. I live in NYC so both systems will cover virtually every travel partner out of the three major airports.

Beauty of being in the garden is I have time to research and plan. Plans can change as new cards come out and get revamped. I wouldn’t have considered the PRG before the changes which is why patience is key for someone like me in the mid game. It also allows me to evaluate my spend over an extended period of time.
Message 5 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks GM! I’m pretty stoked I recovered after a handful of baddies. No 90 days though. Thanks for your replies!
Message 6 of 11
Gmood1
Super Contributor

I'd grab some Amex Business cards in your position. They won't affect your Chase apps. And in most cases they can be had on a SP. If you're already a member.

Message 7 of 11
RonM21
Valued Contributor

Op, you mentioned being in the garden, and that is always a good time to sit back and evaluate things. If you are disciplined enough to stay in the garden for the time you chose, it also keeps you from making impulse decisions. Getting a plan together is smart and never hurts.

Total CL: $321.7kUTL: 2%AAoA: 7.0yrsBaddies: 0Other: Lease, Loan, *No Mortgage, All Inq's from Jun '20 Car Shopping

BoA-55k | NFCU-45k | AMEX-42k | DISC-40.6k | PENFED-38.4k | LOWES-35k | ALLIANT-25k | CITI-15.7k | BARCLAYS-15k | CHASE-10k

Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Definitely not applying for any personal cards in at least six months. I want to play it safe and not risk getting my cards AA. Was looking at the ink preferred and we do a lot of social media advertising so I’m looking into that card. But like I said I’m at least six months away from getting another card. It took a while to get to this point and it will take a long time to build out a good setup so I wouldn’t want to waste it all on impulse.
Message 9 of 11
xaximus
Valued Contributor

A few pointers -

- I generally let a balance report on several of my cards. My UTI hovers between 2-3% but my TCL is 6x-7x of yours so the impact is less. I've had it go up to 5-7% and had no impact so I wouldn't worry too much about the balance side. (Just don't go hitting 100%). Balance goes up and down and the impact is dynamic, so once it's paid, the scores recover.

- Payment wise - I simply make payments every 2 weeks. That's my baseline, if I need to make a payment earlier, I'll do that, otherwise, I keep it simple and easy - every 2 weeks. I also have auto-pay on so that it automatically takes the MP + extra anyway. Most of the time, my balance either gets zero'd out or is relatively low. Rinse, repeat, recycle monthly.

- It definitely would be a good time to garden.

- When time comes - Amex is a great lender - definitely agree on the Gold/Platinum, but get one, both would be $800 in AFs so unless that can be justified, I'd get one. See whichever works for you best.

- Make sure your income is up-to-date in Chase, that plays a factor in CLIs (auto).

You've done great so far on your journey. Keep it up!

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.