cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Cards for Mechanics/Service?!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Cards for Mechanics/Service?!

A 2% cash back card is probably your best choice.
Use for at dealerships or basic stuff you don't want to do yourself.

Finding yourself a solid, pride in their work mechanic...Priceless.
No credit card. Get that cash discount price. ~.^
Message 11 of 24
digitek
Established Contributor

Car maintenance/service is one of the last categories I could get to save some money when using CC.  We have 2 kind of older cars and it is a pretty significant expense.  I would love to see the Cash+ pick that category up.  There was one card that had it as a rotating 5% category, 3% isn't enough to make me app for it, and I don't have loyalty to a particular brand/service/company so don't want to get a store card for it.  Would be nice if it covered auto insurance payment and gas, too.

Yeah, that's it, a card that gives 5% on gas, auto insurance, tire/mechanic stores, auto-shops, and dealerships.  I'm feeling that one.

Message 12 of 24
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Thank you all for the replies and no worries on running away with the Fruit Wagon I was laughing so hard to myself but I did look into the Synch card and it seems like a good Idea I think I will find a mechanic I want to start using in my area that is fair and see if they accept that card before applying though I would hate to get the card then find out only the super expensive mechanics accept it hahahaha.       Smiley Very Happy   

Message 13 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

Many times mechanics that own thier own shop (or any specialized trait, really) will often offer a significant discount if you pay in cash.  The savings from doing this would easily exceed the rewards from a CC many times over.  Just something to keep in mind.  If run into this with contractors as well, where they'll quote $7k for a job but knock it down to $6k if paid in cash for example.  ~15% savings?  I'll take it.     

Message 14 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would probably put on BBP for 2xMR (which can be 3-4% reward value if you can use it effectively on travel), or on freedom unlimited w/csr (which can be 2.5% if you book travel and have a loyalty program with the airline)

Message 15 of 24
DemonHusker
Regular Contributor

I believe the BBVA Clear points offers 3X points if you choose maintenance as a quarterly category, which auto services is included. But it depends on where you live to get the card

Message 16 of 24
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

BBP?!

Message 17 of 24
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

BBVA?!    I live in Ga in the US

Message 18 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

BBP is amex blue business plus.

BTW, chase offers is running 5 or 10% on Midas, advanced autopart and autozone, in case you use them and have those offers.

Btw2, raise has lot of AutoZone, jiffy lube, advance Auto parts gc for 10-15% off at the moment too.
Message 19 of 24
Anonymous
Not applicable

I believe maintenance is a 3% Dynamic Earn category on the Synovus Cash Rewards card
Message 20 of 24
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.