Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Cards of the Future

tag
dodfire
Valued Contributor

Credit Cards of the Future

Anybody know when these are going to hit the U.S. Market??

*8/10/13
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
LS2982
Mega Contributor

Re: Credit Cards of the Future

@dodfire wrote:

Anybody know when these are going to hit the U.S. Market??

Thats a pretty high tech card, where are they being used currently?

EQ FICO 548 3/3/16
Message 2 of 21
b_seeker
Frequent Contributor

Singapore, apparently. . .

http://hothardware.com/News/New-High-Tech-MasterCard-Sports-LCD-Screen-And-Keyboard/

|| Barclaycard Rewards Visa $5500 || AMEX BCE $2000 || Discover IT $3000 || Amazon Rewards Visa $1800 ||
|| Chase Freedom $2700 || CSP $5000 || Chase Marriott Premier $7500 || Sallie Mae MC $3800 ||

FICO Scores: EX 752 (3/13/13) || EQ 782 (10/4/13) || TU 724 (1/18/13)

In the garden as of 10/12/2013
Message 3 of 21
dodfire
Valued Contributor

The article I read said that it was just introduced in Singapore.

*8/10/13
Message 4 of 21
GaTech
Frequent Contributor

What do the numbers represent?

As of 1/10/2014 EX FICO - 748. EQ FICO - 728. Trans FICO - 755

WellsFargo - $3,000 AMEX BCE - $18,000 Chase Freedom - $4,000

Message 5 of 21
dodfire
Valued Contributor

Appears to be a keypad for security. Says you can even get real-time account information right on your card.

*8/10/13
Message 6 of 21
Rhaeny
Valued Contributor

Well it looks interesting in that you probably have some pin number to use for the card.  I guess it would be better at preventing theft, but that thing has to be a lot thicker than a regular CC so that means I'd have to probably buy a new wallet.  Decisions decisons....LOL!!!

Major CC's - Barclay's ($5.5K) | Barclay's Sallie Mae MC ($5K) | DCU ($7.5K) | Discover IT ($1.4K) | Genisys Visa ($1.4K) | NFCU Visa ($22K) | Navcheck ($15K) | Chase Freedom ($5K) | SDFCU Visa ($8K) | Amex BCP ($9.5K) | Amex Delta ($10K) |Store CC's| -Amazon ($4K) | Catherines ($850) | JCP ($4K) | Macy's ($1.7K) | Avenue ($850) | Victoria's Secret ($1.4K) | Walmart ($4.1K) | Paypal SC ($1.3K) | HSN ($2.5) | Sears ($2.6K) | Sams Club ($4.1K) |Goal|: Age with grace to 750 across the board |Last app|: 3/3/2014
Message 7 of 21
NonSufficientFunds
Frequent Contributor

I saw another interesting concept from CitiBank - a card that lets you toggle between paying with rewards or with credit:

https://creditcards.citicards.com/usc/2g/microsite/ThankYou/default.htm?BT_TX=1

Message 8 of 21
mikka1
Frequent Contributor

Several banks in Russia have started to pilot those cards last year - for example, this bank - http://www.avangard.ru/rus/private/cards/card_with_display/index.wbp (page in Russian with images of offered cards)

Bank currently offers them by invitation only.

In essence it is a card with an RSA token embedded in it. After entering a password it can generate one time codes to be further used paying online and performing some risky transactions in online banking. Based on description and discussions this display can't show balance / rewards or any other useful information, at least in the current implementation.

I'd personally say it's kind of a useless thing. At least I was not planning to inquire how to change my card of that bank to this one (in theory I think I can try to request an invitation)

In my wallet now: Amex PRG NPSL, Amex BCE $15k $17k (thanks to recent CLI), Chase Freedom 11k, CSP $6k, Chase United ME $5k, Citi Dividend $5.6k, Discover It $4.5k and a handful of other cards...
TU Dec 2013 - 752Sep 2013 - 764 - new all time maximum

Obsolete data aboveCurrent TU - probably around ~810, only using a few Chase & BofA cards now, not applying for much until we buy a house
Message 9 of 21
enharu
Super Contributor

some banks in asia offer card(s) like this. some come with a separate authenticator that can be a size of a credit card as well, or some of them have authenticator apps in smartphones.

It is mainly given to high net worth clients who run a lot of expensive charges through the card.

the codes are generated at time of transaction, and has to match whatever the authentitcator is showing. it's basically a fraud prevention thing.

JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.