Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Cards that Blacklist

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Cards that Blacklist

Not always true with Barclay.  I burned them in BKR and they won't take me back yet.  My husband did not burn them in the BKR but within weeks after Chapter 13 discharge successfully opened an Apple card with Barclay.  BKR is still on our report for about another year.  So they will let you back in if there's a BKR as long as you didn't burn them in the process.

Message 11 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Brian_Earl_Spilner wrote:

Barclay - will not take you if you've filed bankruptcy.

Not sure if you meant IIB?  Barclay did take me 4.5 years post BK, small CL and not IIB. Was in 2015 though so maybe things have changed.

Message 12 of 64
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Barclay - will not take you if you've filed bankruptcy.

Not sure if you meant IIB?  Barclay did take me 4.5 years post BK, small CL and not IIB. Was in 2015 though so maybe things have changed.

Yes, I did. I should change that.

Message 13 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

AmX definitely blacklists. If they had to close your card you will never get back into their graces. I will never have another AmX. Sigh...

Message 14 of 64
Saleen099
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

AmX definitely blacklists. If they had to close your card you will never get back into their graces. I will never have another AmX. Sigh...

Same. Blacklisted since 2000.

Message 15 of 64
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thats not true. There are plenty of people that paid what they owed even after it fell off their reports, and were able to get back in. Amex even has the Optima card to help rebuild a history with them. My understanding is it's invite only, but if you have nothing to lose, maybe someone can call in and try to request it in exchange for paying off their debt and report back.

Message 16 of 64
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

Thats not true. There are plenty of people that paid what they owed even after it fell off their reports, and were able to get back in. Amex even has the Optima card to help rebuild a history with them. My understanding is it's invite only, but if you have nothing to lose, maybe someone can call in and try to request it in exchange for paying off their debt and report back.

But, there are plenty of people that *didn't* pay them back, whether it was IIB or charged-off accounts and AMEX retains those folks on the blacklist.  For folks who fall under the IIB scenario, there's no obligation to repay so the blacklist remains.  So, technically, @Musiclover 's comment is correct - albeit there's likely a minority that eventually and/or voluntarily pay AMEX back. 

Message 17 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JMills wrote:

Good Day,

I am curious to know is it true that credit card companies blacklist and if so, what are the names. If you are on the blacklist how can you get off. Its been awhile since I been on here and Im catching up on all the credit stuff.

My understanding is that, if you declare a bankruptcy, even if you don't have an Amex account included in the filing, Amex will decline an account application to them, and won't give you pre-qualified offers, until at least 5 years and 1 month either after BK filing or BK discharge. In my case, this means that the earliest I could apply for an Amex card and not expect to be more or less automatically declined would be either October 2019 or January 2020.

Message 18 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

@beutiful5678 wrote:

@pipeguy wrote:

@beutiful5678 wrote:

Is this blacklist sentence just for lenders IIB or for charge-offs too? If yes on charge-offs does the 10-year clock start running from the date of charge-off or from the date you paid them back? I have one Chase and one Citi card I want and I'm curious how long I should wait for those apps... (Obviously, not anytime soon with my scores but I'm playing the long game here and want to plan out my apps.)

It includes charge-offs, not just bankruptcy. As far as starting the clock I can't say for sure which is why I used +/- 10 years they'll blacklist you until they don't and that's around 10 years.

After my credit crashed and burned in 2005-07 neither Chase or Citi would touch me and I don't believe I defaulted on either lender, perhaps Chase with a business card. I now have 3 Chase cards but they are my lowest limit cards ($10k, $6k, $5k). I'm sure I never burned Citi, but even today they won't issue me a Citi-branded card although they will issue me just about all of their Citi-backed cards like HD ($25k) Costco ($15k), etc.  

This is great news. That is precisely the card I eventually want. The other one is the Chase Amazon Visa. I figure the co-branded cards will be easier to acquire and they will definitely be ones that I would use.

I've been interested in both the Citi Costco Visa and Chase Amazon Visa at one point or another, since they're co-branded cards rather than Citi/Chase-branded (I burned a Chase Visa and a Citimortgage account, as well as a cobranded Best Buy store card that had just transferred to Citi at the time, in my 2014 BK), but I'm not certain that my chances would either be very good or that, should I get either, I would be able to get a decent CL. In fact, I read a while back in these forums that if you did burn Citi and manage to get a Citi Costco Visa, you won't be able to get any CLI's from the SL they allocated you at account opening.

Message 19 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Not always true with Barclay.  I burned them in BKR and they won't take me back yet.  My husband did not burn them in the BKR but within weeks after Chapter 13 discharge successfully opened an Apple card with Barclay.  BKR is still on our report for about another year.  So they will let you back in if there's a BKR as long as you didn't burn them in the process.

I'll keep that in mind; I might be replacing my iPhone next year and it's possible I might look at getting the Barclay Apple Visa then, so since I never have had an account with them it's possible I might be able to get that card from them at 4+ years post-Ch 7 discharge, especially since I believe the Apple card is a cobranded one rather than a Barclay-branded card.

Message 20 of 64
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.