Did you mean: 

Credit Cards that Blacklist

tag
beutiful5678
Frequent Contributor

Re: Credit Cards that Blacklist

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Not always true with Barclay.  I burned them in BKR and they won't take me back yet.  My husband did not burn them in the BKR but within weeks after Chapter 13 discharge successfully opened an Apple card with Barclay.  BKR is still on our report for about another year.  So they will let you back in if there's a BKR as long as you didn't burn them in the process.

I'll keep that in mind; I might be replacing my iPhone next year and it's possible I might look at getting the Barclay Apple Visa then, so since I never have had an account with them it's possible I might be able to get that card from them at 4+ years post-Ch 7 discharge, especially since I believe the Apple card is a cobranded one rather than a Barclay-branded card.

The Apple card is moving to Goldman Sachs early next year. I've been considering getting the Apple card once my scores improve (I'm aiming for Oct) but I want to know if Barclay's portfolio of Apple card owners will move to Goldman Sachs (like Costco card owners going from AMEX -> Citi or Hilton card owners going Citi -> AMEX) and if it will appear as a new account on a credit report.

EX 8: Aug 2021 - 692 | EQ 8: Aug 2021 - 714 | TU 8: Aug 2021 - 673
Message 21 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

@beutiful5678 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Not always true with Barclay.  I burned them in BKR and they won't take me back yet.  My husband did not burn them in the BKR but within weeks after Chapter 13 discharge successfully opened an Apple card with Barclay.  BKR is still on our report for about another year.  So they will let you back in if there's a BKR as long as you didn't burn them in the process.

I'll keep that in mind; I might be replacing my iPhone next year and it's possible I might look at getting the Barclay Apple Visa then, so since I never have had an account with them it's possible I might be able to get that card from them at 4+ years post-Ch 7 discharge, especially since I believe the Apple card is a cobranded one rather than a Barclay-branded card.

The Apple card is moving to Goldman Sachs early next year. I've been considering getting the Apple card once my scores improve (I'm aiming for Oct) but I want to know if Barclay's portfolio of Apple card owners will move to Goldman Sachs (like Costco card owners going from AMEX -> Citi or Hilton card owners going Citi -> AMEX) and if it will appear as a new account on a credit report.

That, I hadn't previously known. This raises the question, as I don't know how big a player Goldman Sachs is in the credit card field; does anyone who has a bank-branded or co-branded card with them know how they are with people who apply to them several years after a discharged BK, whether or not they had an account there IIB?

EDIT: Interesting - the new agreement with Apple is apparently Goldman Sachs' first credit card of any kind, at least in recent memory.

Message 22 of 64
beutiful5678
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@beutiful5678 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

That, I hadn't previously known. This raises the question, as I don't know how big a player Goldman Sachs is in the credit card field; does anyone who has a bank-branded or co-branded card with them know how they are with people who apply to them several years after a discharged BK, whether or not they had an account there IIB?

EDIT: Interesting - the new agreement with Apple is apparently Goldman Sachs' first credit card of any kind, at least in recent memory.

Yes, this being Goldman Sachs' first foray into credit cards means there are a lot of unknowns about the demographics they're targeting with the Apple card (income, credit score & history, etc) although I believe we can both look to the existing Apple card and also Goldman Sachs' Marcus loans to get some indication about who they'll approve.

Since there are some data points of Apple card approvals with pretty low scores (TU FICO8 610-640) which totally breaks with everything also we know about Barclays, I'm inclined to believe that Apple has significant sway over underwriting standards and that they intend the card to be more accessible. We'll see if this holds true when the card moves to Goldman.

As for data points on the market demographics that Goldman is targeting with this new venture into consumer banking products we can just search the forum for Marcus personal loan approvals.

EX 8: Aug 2021 - 692 | EQ 8: Aug 2021 - 714 | TU 8: Aug 2021 - 673
Message 23 of 64
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

While the recent announcement of an Apple CC product by Goldman Sachs has garnered some discussion and interest on a separate thread, let's keep things on topic with regard to the OP's thread 😊
Message 24 of 64
Jimp2323
Regular Contributor

One of the nice things (maybe the only nice thing) about Credit One is that they DO blacklist.  This means that I don't have to put up with the constant mail crap from them that other rebuilders do.Robot Happy

Message 25 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@JMills wrote:

Good Day,

I am curious to know is it true that credit card companies blacklist and if so, what are the names. If you are on the blacklist how can you get off. Its been awhile since I been on here and Im catching up on all the credit stuff.

My understanding is that, if you declare a bankruptcy, even if you don't have an Amex account included in the filing, Amex will decline an account application to them, and won't give you pre-qualified offers, until at least 5 years and 1 month either after BK filing or BK discharge. In my case, this means that the earliest I could apply for an Amex card and not expect to be more or less automatically declined would be either October 2019 or January 2020.

I got an AMEX Blue 1y6m after CH13 DC. They were not IIB.

Message 26 of 64
JR_TX
Valued Contributor

I think this thread will just confuse more people than answer the OP’s question.

For simplicity’s sake, let’s just all use the term “Blacklist” as 

A situation wherein a consumer is barred from obtaining credit again from a lender he/she had a previous account/relationship with and in which he/she defaulted in the manner of either Bankruptcy or charge-off.

Ok and now that we got that definition out of the way. Let’s look at the  the major “Blacklist” players among lenders (Prime only) ; 

**Please Feel free to add DP or correct me if I’m wrong (apology in advance)**

1.0  Barclaycard -  Most likely forever. NO known DP exists or poster that can attest of Barclays letting him/her back in after BK/CO.

2.0  American Express -  DP from various posters suggests that if amount defaulted is less than $5K then AX has been reported to have let Blacklisted people back in after a minimum of ten (10) years. If more than $5K then the BL goes for much longer with no known DP as to the timeline AX will let someone back in.

3.0  Chase -  No definitive DPs currently. And It’s all about the “Recon”! The most recent DPs (last 6 months) suggest that if applicant still has Bk reporting, then it’s an auto denial and recon success rate is less than 10%. If Blacklisted, recon success rate drops down to maybe 5% or less and CRs must be strong and free of any BK and be prepared to be grilled for about 45 mins and be given a toy limit ($500?) if successful.

4.0  Citi -  It’s a Minimum of 7 years post BK dc or citi CO must have been off the CRA and must have a very strong credit profile when app’ing with no HP or new TL in the last 6 months to possibly a year.

New cc TLs : 0/6 ; 0/12 ; 0/24 | HPs EX 3 EQ 3 TU 4 | AAoA 7y10m | UTIL 1% - 4% | $300K+ Total Limits

Message 27 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm still trying to work out what my blacklist situation, if any, is in my own case. To reiterate my situation:

Chase - IIB on Chase Visa with $13k. I gather I'm done for as far as Chase-branded cards go, at the very least until my BK falls off completely in 6 1/2 years (since discharge, it's 4 years since filing); what I'm uncertain about is co-branded cards, specifically Amazon Prime Visa.

Citi - IIB on secured loan (mortgage); the card I had to IIB with them was Best Buy for $3K, which had had the bad luck to transfer to them a few months before I filed. I'm really perplexed as to whether it would be worth my while to try for a co-branded Citi card, specifically Costco Anywhere, anytime in the next couple of years. I assume I'm out of luck for Citi-branded cards until BK leaves the report.

Bank of America - IIB for a secondary mortgage (home equity loan), again, secured, but I've never had a CC with them. I've maintained my checking account with them (and predecessor banks going all the way back to a local one) for close to 40 years (!) now.

Amex - I think I've actually gotten this figured out. I've never had any relationship, including a CC, with them, so they weren't IIB, and from what I've read elsewhere here, I gather that I'll therefore become eligible for prequalified offers from them, and/or my apps will be given due consideration rather than being automatically rejected for BK, at the 5 year/1 month mark after BK filing.

USAA - had a MC with them way back about 20 years ago. It was included in a debt-consolidation plan and closed, and I haven't had a CC with them since, though I do have auto and renters' insurance with them for 30 years or more; I dodged a bullet and didn't have those policies closed when I declared BK in 2014 because their policies (which had formerly required closure of policies upon BK) had changed by then. I app'ed for a credit card with them in 2016 (before I found these forums) and was turned down for BK, but I understand that their policies are similar to Amex's in that they will allow you to apply and will consider your app after a set number of years following BK filing or discharge. Unfortunately, I've forgotten the specifics.

The big questions for Chase and Citi: Is there any chance at all of getting co-branded cards (forget about the ones with their own logos on them) anytime in the next 1-2 years? For BoA, if they were IIB on a secured loan but there's no CC history with them, does that foreclose the possibility of obtaining a CC from them, or does the length of my banking relationship with them offset to any degree their having been burned on a secured loan in BK?

Message 28 of 64
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

From my experience here's my story:

Barclays  IIB 2005  don't remember amount 13 years later always denied for previous history with them

AMEX-     IIB 2005   15K plus  I was finally given a second chance 2018 1K limits is all I seem to generate ( fair enough)

Citi:          IIB 2005    30K   given  second chance 2018 Approved  2800 SL for the simplicity but denied for previous history for AA card series

Wells fargo,  Suntrust, US bank and Bank of America always deny me for previous history with them, trouble is I never had any accounts with these banks, so they must be an affiliate of one of the lenders I filed on??

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 29 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

BofA I'm almost certain have a blacklist of some sort even though I've banked with them for 20+ years (still banking with them for convenience sake as my work banks with them) had a hickup with my credit during my mid 20's and recently got shot down several times and multiple hard inquiries later regardless of good credit rating. I also know AMEX has some sort of no way Jose list if you've screwed them in the past. Thank goodness I'm not on that list Smiley Happy

Message 30 of 64
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.