Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Cards that Blacklist

tag
ways2go
Frequent Contributor

Re: Credit Cards that Blacklist

@pipeguy wrote:

Chase and Citi and US Bank will all put you on the naughty-not-nice list for 10+/- years. As far as major primary lenders, Cap-1 and Discover are probably the most forgiving letting you back in. 

I'm not talking about secondary cobranded lenders like Comenity or Sync and certainly not the sub-prime fee magnet cards like Credit One or First Premier.  

Citi is like 23+ years..  I went Chp 13 on them back in 1990 for around 2500 on an American Advaantage card.  I applied for a citi card in 2014.  I applied online, completed the app, hit submit. It sat there for a few seconds, it looked it was going to get approved. A rep came online during the process, wanted to verify my full name and something else.  It immediately went denied.  I haven't applied for a citi card since. My costco card transferred over to Citi and received two CL increases since to 17000. YMMV ,  but that is my experience with them

Message 31 of 64
drewopa
Established Member

Re: Credit Cards that Blacklist

Amex

11B 1998 which included >$5K Optima card

Never even considered applying again until Oct 2017 but was approved for EDB for $500.  3x cli plus auto cli now has it at $2K.  Received offers for Magnet and Delta Blue in June.  Approved for both at $8.5K and $6K, respectively.  Recent 3x cli on the Magnet and now at $25.5K.  Income $62K and EX 750s.  Nineteen years really does not help with a timeframe but I am proof that you can get back in and with some decent credit lines.  Good luck.

Message 32 of 64
sjt
Senior Contributor

Re: Do you still get blacklisted if you paid off the card

@JMills wrote:

Good Day,

How does blacklisting work do you still get blacklisted if you paid off the card.

Thanks

You should not be blacklisted after paying off the card, if it was paid to the original creditor and not a JDB.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 33 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

US Bank IIB 8/2010 - denied Gold Checking today and no HP for Cash+.

I pretty much knew I was blacklisted with USB but since it was actually a garden goal and I ended up with no HP, it’s no big loss. Thought I would add the DP for others though. Their memory is definitely long, I am going to remove them as a goal card since including not just a credit card but a reserve line means I’m likely going to be blacklisted a very long time.

If you can’t even get a deposit account, you know you’re on the very naughty list.
Message 34 of 64
sjt
Senior Contributor

What were the reasons for the denial? Are your reports frozen?
American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 35 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have to wait for the letters in the mail obviously but the checking was outright denied and I got no notification of a HP from any of the three bureaus (they’re a TU puller normally right?)
Message 36 of 64
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
I have to wait for the letters in the mail obviously but the checking was outright denied and I got no notification of a HP from any of the three bureaus (they’re a TU puller normally right?)

I believe for banking accounts they do a SP. Are any of your CRA frozen?

Message 37 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sjt wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Experian is frozen because it’s a whole thing to unfreeze Experian and nobody pulls them — but I just looked and Experian is actually what they pull in Colorado (4 out of 4 on DoC). When I get the letters I’ll update if it was due to Experian being frozen or previous relationship. I will honestly be amazed if they actually tried to pull me although if they did, I will be thrilled that I have a chance because it changes my garden goals. 

Message 38 of 64
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@sjt wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Experian is frozen because it’s a whole thing to unfreeze Experian and nobody pulls them — but I just looked and Experian is actually what they pull in Colorado (4 out of 4 on DoC). When I get the letters I’ll update if it was due to Experian being frozen or previous relationship. I will honestly be amazed if they actually tried to pull me although if they did, I will be thrilled that I have a chance because it changes my garden goals. 

I bet they tried to pull Experian and you had it on freeze.

Message 39 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

@sjt wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@sjt wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

I bet they tried to pull Experian and you had it on freeze.

I’ll keep the thread updated. I am not as confident as you are that it’s not going to be a previous relationship denial but I will be pleasantly surprised if it’s EX being frozen that caused it. Honestly if I get the gold checking and a credit card, I’ll leave my current bank and go back to US Bank in a heartbeat, I had an excellent relationship with them, just life hit. If it’s not a relationship denial I’ll try again in April. 

Message 40 of 64
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.