Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Cards that Blacklist

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Cards that Blacklist

This has by far been one of the most useful threads I have ever perused. I burned Citi for about $600 back in 2014 when they took over the Bestbuy portfolio from CO. I don't have any of the Citi cards on my want list except for the Co-Branded Macys and Costco. From what I have read on here about Citi,and research I did afterwards on a few other forums, I feel I could have a shot at these cards in the future. Thank you to everyone who puts in time on here to help the community in their personal credit journeys. It really does help to receive advise. 

Message 51 of 64
sjt
Senior Contributor

Re: Do you still get blacklisted if you paid off the card

@Anonymous wrote:

I think it was Wells Fargo. It was a student card.

Denial is saying I have limited credit history and debt to income ratio... Which doesn't make sense. 

Thats odd.

Have you check prequal sites for any offers. (Amex, Chase, Discover, US Bank)

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 52 of 64
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

This has by far been one of the most useful threads I have ever perused. I burned Citi for about $600 back in 2014 when they took over the Bestbuy portfolio from CO. I don't have any of the Citi cards on my want list except for the Co-Branded Macys and Costco. From what I have read on here about Citi,and research I did afterwards on a few other forums, I feel I could have a shot at these cards in the future. Thank you to everyone who puts in time on here to help the community in their personal credit journeys. It really does help to receive advise. 

I think you would be ok because the CO was only for $600 and it happened before Citi bought the BestBuy portfolio. 

Have you thought about getting their secured card?

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 53 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

I do prequalify for their secure but I was trying to decide if I wanted to go that route or just apply for one of their co-branded cards. I don't have a need for any of their bank cards, but I would benefit from Macy's and Costco being I shop at those places a couple times a month. I will definitely do a secure if that's what it takes to get both cards. I guess I am just hoping I could get them without adding in a secure card I don't need.

Message 54 of 64
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I do prequalify for their secure but I was trying to decide if I wanted to go that route or just apply for one of their co-branded cards. I don't have a need for any of their bank cards, but I would benefit from Macy's and Costco being I shop at those places a couple times a month. I will definitely do a secure if that's what it takes to get both cards. I guess I am just hoping I could get them without adding in a secure card I don't need.

Whats your credit profile. Whats keeping your score at the level listed?

Message 55 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

My scores listed are because of $6000 woth of credit card debt that built up when I changed jobs last summer and my life got little messed up. I finally paid it all off on the 6th of this month. I have 2 negatives which will fall off next year. I have a couple of student loans and a variety of store and major credit cards.No late payments. Most of my credit is newer so my starting rates weren't super high and that making my UTL insanely out of hand. Once everything posts it will be down to 0 instead of 68%. 

Message 56 of 64
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

My scores listed are because of $6000 woth of credit card debt that built up when I changed jobs last summer and my life got little messed up. I finally paid it all off on the 6th of this month. I have 2 negatives which will fall off next year. I have a couple of student loans and a variety of store and major credit cards.No late payments. Most of my credit is newer so my starting rates weren't super high and that making my UTL insanely out of hand. Once everything posts it will be down to 0 instead of 68%. 

Let one card report a small balance, like $10. Having a small balance report gives you a higher score then letting all the accounts report a zero balance. Once things are paid down your score can go up 80-100 points. At that point check out the pre-qual sites.

Message 57 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have no problem with waiting and letting my score grow along with my credit lines. I am not sure though if either of the cards I want offer pre-approvals or pre-qualifies. I have looked all over this site and others and I haven't seen snyone post about a pre-approval for Costco or Macy's. Do you know if these are cards I could get a mailer for?

Message 58 of 64
sjt
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

I have no problem with waiting and letting my score grow along with my credit lines. I am not sure though if either of the cards I want offer pre-approvals or pre-qualifies. I have looked all over this site and others and I haven't seen snyone post about a pre-approval for Costco or Macy's. Do you know if these are cards I could get a mailer for?

Im not sure about preapproved or mail offers for Costco or Macy's.

I would wait till your payments update and see what the score increase is. Then check around the pre-qual site. depending on the offers you might get a card offer that maybe more beneficial then Costco or Macys.

Message 59 of 64
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for your help! Smiley Very Happy We will see what the future holds I guess!

Message 60 of 64
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.