Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Cards that are closing accounts or decreasing limits for no reason

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Cards that are closing accounts or decreasing limits for no reason

@MASTERNC wrote:

No CLDs so far but now I am nervous putting big purchases for my work from home ordeal on my lightly used Hilton AMEX ($28k limit).  Had a promo for free "Plan It" plans so I have purchased about $1,500 on it (mainly a better office chair and some wine).  Hopefully this doesn't raise eyebrows.

It can depend on the purchase. Putting a large property tax payment on it could raise eyebrows, or anything that screams distress. A vacation wouldn't. 

Tons of wine could lol. JK.

Message 71 of 100
ccpat
Frequent Contributor

Masternc, Which part is the big purchase.....the chair or the wine? (heehee)

Message 72 of 100
MASTERNC
Frequent Contributor

@ccpat wrote:

The chair - by a lot. It's also from Amazon

Message 73 of 100
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@sarge12 wrote:

t...they would just do away with over limit fees and have some cards with balances 3 times their limit.

Didn't the CARD act basically do away with OTL fees, you now have to opt in to them, and I don't remember even being given the choice to do so.

Message 74 of 100
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:

@MASTERNC wrote:

No CLDs so far but now I am nervous putting big purchases for my work from home ordeal on my lightly used Hilton AMEX ($28k limit).  Had a promo for free "Plan It" plans so I have purchased about $1,500 on it (mainly a better office chair and some wine).  Hopefully this doesn't raise eyebrows.

It can depend on the purchase. Putting a large property tax payment on it could raise eyebrows, or anything that screams distress. A vacation wouldn't. 

Right, because it's unheard of paying with credit  in exchange for rewards 😐

I've asked you before, and I'm going to ask you again to show some evidence orproof behind that statement.

It's just something you think, and you"ve never really done it, so instead of discouraging those who are either trying to maximize their rewards or stretch it in a few payment, maybe adding some facts would work better. 

One person says something,  someone repeats in, myths and legends are born, without having any connection with reality whatsoever. 

I get the part where you're careful and cautious with your credit, that's commendable, but opinions should not be presented as facts. 

I've paid personal and property taxes with cards. I'm not in financial distress, in fact, the opposite is true.

How do lenders know that? 

I paid the bill.

The End. 

Message 75 of 100
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@Revelate wrote:

There are a few problems with this.

Up thread someone called it out but to reiterate, if there's any pattern in the recent Sync closures as an example, it's people who had large lines that they simply were not using.  Here's an idea, don't pick up junk tradelines for limit padding, it wasn't needed.

Someone suggested that I and others if our accounts were slashed, we'd change our tune: no, frankly I would not be surprised AT ALL, if every other lender not named Chase went and whacked my accounts.  99.99% of my transactions fall to Chase cards for the last 3 years, that is a fact.  Amex if they whacked me, I'd sideeye it a little but wouldn't worry about it my guess is they won't though as I carry a couple of AF's (Zync, Hilton) and they do get used occasionally... though I certainly don't need 30K on that Hilton card, go ahead and CLD it, actually I might go do that pre-emptively, have to think about that as the CSR is getting the swipes anyway these days.

Finally the proposed law?  OK sure, but it'd kill the subprime and near prime markets that Synchrony et al. typically play in... we can't manage our risk, OK, we won't give you credit, or certainly not the outsized CL's we've come to enjoy... go straight back to 1980 and do not pass go.  It's really that simple for market economics.  

I really don't understand the whole issue, if you don't need the limits and don't use them, don't expect that the lender algorithms won't see this and adjust your account accordingly: nobody, and I mean nobody from a credit perspective, needs that 40K store card from someplace they never shop at.

Actually there are maybe 4-5 people that I can recall on this forum that actually have the personal expenditures needed to really utilize a 40K tradeline... my CSR is above 40K and I suspect my high balance on it is like 7K.  That really sounds like I'd be just fine with a 10-20K CL at most.

Basically, I agree, but I would also put some blame on this forum (and others like it).   Here growing CLs is seen as a good thing, including the use of "gardening" (to grow what you have) whereas perhaps the less interesting "time out room" where you simply don't app, don't ask for CLI, APR reduction etc, would be a better model!    Ever increasing CLs are seen as a good thing, and as a reward for good behavior from the creditor, almost as if it was a bankable asset.    This thread and other similar ones reminds us how easily they can be taken away "for no reason".

Message 76 of 100
Revelate
Moderator Emeritus

@Remedios wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@MASTERNC wrote:

I've asked you before, and I'm going to ask you again to show some evidence orproof behind that statement.

It's just something you think, and you"ve never really done it, so instead of discouraging those who are either trying to maximize their rewards or stretch it in a few payment, maybe adding some facts would work better. 

One person says something,  someone repeats in, myths and legends are born, without having any connection with reality whatsoever. 

I get the part where you're careful and cautious with your credit, that's commendable, but opinions should not be presented as facts. 

I've paid personal and property taxes with cards. I'm not in financial distress, in fact, the opposite is true.

I paid the bill.

The End. 

Ah, but you probably also paid them in happy sunshine land, now might be a different story Smiley Happy.  Though taxes should not be a problem.

I haven't been paying attention for the last few years but we did have one or two threads IIRC circa 2012-2013 where lenders were closing things down based on the transaction record... personally, I never put anything "iffy" on the Chase cards, though I absolutely pay my taxes with them to your point and will continue to do so.  Paying one's taxes is a good thing, hell I just blew $4800 on appliances on my CFU but I doubt they're going to do anything with that, just my being a good little consumer for once in my life getting stuff for the new place and they have access to see what's in the checking accounts pooling cash for this new place.  Ain't no trouble to your point.

That said, I honestly color inside the lines for the near entirety of my life, but I've paid with a Cap 1 card on things I didn't want someone at Chase making a value judgement on TBH based on some anecdotal reports here. 

        
Message 77 of 100
Anonymous
Not applicable

@MASTERNC wrote:

@ccpat wrote:

The chair - by a lot. It's also from Amazon

Is it Herman Miller?  Just copped one myself.  Nice chair but wasn't sure it was worth the price.  Lol

Message 78 of 100
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

@MASTERNC wrote:

I will test your theory to the extreme soon. 

Will have to pay $24000 fed tax (partly a larger than expected bonus partly my own fault for withholding too little) by 7/15 and I just copped 4 cards so not to waste the previous natural spend. 

Will see how much Amex, Chase, US Bank and BoA really love me. Lmaooooo

Message 79 of 100
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Revelate wrote:

@Remedios wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@MASTERNC wrote:

I paid the bill.

The End. 

Ah, but you probably also paid them in happy sunshine land, now might be a different story Smiley Happy.

I haven't been paying attention for the last few years but we did have one or two threads IIRC circa 2012 where lenders were closing things down based on the transaction record... personally, I never put anything "iffy" on the Chase cards, though I absolutely pay my taxes with them to your point and will continue to do so.  Paying one's taxes is a good thing, hell I just blew $4800 on appliances on my CFU but I doubt they're going to do anything with that, just my being a good little consumer for once in my life getting stuff for the new place.

I honestly color inside the lines for the near entirety of my life, but I've paid with a Cap 1 card on things I didn't want someone at Chase making a value judgement on TBH based on some anecdotal reports here.

Nope, two weeks ago, paid it off a week later after statement was ready.

Smiley Happy

I've banked with Chase for over 10 years, WaMu before that, couple of mortgages, plenty of cards, CPC for a while (ex had affinity such things), if they got it, had it.

Should Chase feel the need to scrutinize my transactions, they will see I lead a boring life (mostly).

If having a portion of my income fall into  24% bracket, and having to pay additional taxes because of it bothers them..well, let's just say it doesnt. 

2020 ain't my first rodeo. 

Oh, and I'm their point of contact for corporate account, which I insisted we open because I hated Heritage bank. I dont let Chase forget it, either. 

Message 80 of 100
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.