Credit Cards with Rewards

tag
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Re: Credit Cards with Rewards

@CodeMonkey wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
It can be a PITA having a lot of rewards cards, because you often have to run a lot of money through a card to hit their good rewards. Not all, but plenty do --AmEx Blue Cash being a case in point.

I look on my cards as having different types of rewards --cash/points, yes, but also good APR's or high CL's. It's pretty rare to find one card that does all these well.

Ameriprise WE MC is one

Yep, I just opened one: $10.5k CL, 4.5% APR (prime + 1.25% - that's lower than my 30-year fixed mortgage right now), 1.5% cash-back.

My credit score isn't even that stellar right now either - in the 720s/730s when I applied (it had dropped down from the 780s over the course of the last year or so due to opening some new TLs).

ETA: Forgot to add - apparently they're now waiving the $150 annual fee for the life of the card. So on top of all that, you also get a free PriorityPass membership - so much for AMEX Platinum, I guess. Smiley Happy

I assume you are talking Ameriprise WE MC. That card is on my list and that sure sounds like a great deal. Are you sure that $150 is fully waived in perpetuity and not just the first year plus a chance to have it waived in future years if you hit some usage threshold? Also, what CBR did they pull and how much income did you show them?

Message 11 of 18
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@DI wrote:

I have the Platinum Rewards card, but  I only use it to pay my cell phone bill.  I won't make any other charges on the card until my available credit is no longer held.  

If I recall correctly you weren't approved for a toy limit. What difference could it make in reality when your available credit is updated? How could a thing like that outweigh the value of the rewards? I'm cheap, personally - I'll take the money. (I booked a cruise today through ShopDiscover so I could get the 5% reward...  Smiley Wink )

Message 12 of 18
CodeMonkey
Contributor

Yes, my post was regarding the Ameriprise WE card.

Regarding the annual fee, there are a lot of conflicting sources - all over their website, and even on the letter Ameriprise sent me with my new Client ID, they make references to waiving the $150 fee only for Ameriprise Elite Circle something-or-other members, with $15k+ annual spend.

However, on the application itself, which indicates that the "offer" remains open until 12/31, it explicitly states that there is no annual fee, and there aren't any footnotes that would indicate otherwise (see: http://www.ameriprise.com/global/sitelets/invitationonly/).

Also, upon receiving my card, I checked the "Cardmember Agreement" pamphlet, and it explicitly states on the back that there is a $0 "Annual Membership Charge." I read those two pieces of information as an explicit statement of a $0 AF for the life of the account.

So, I feel confident enough about it that if an annual fee DOES appear on my first month's statement, I will be calling them to fight it. Based on all of that information I don't expect this to be the case, though - I will post an update when I do see my first statement either way.

They pulled TU for my application, and it was an instant online approval with $65k annual HHI.

Edited to add: Additionally, it appears the Terms & Conditions listed on their website for the Ameriprise WE also explicitly states that there is no annual fee (see https://www.juniper.com/app/japply/lp/TnCs.jsp?prodidreq=CCMWC19430).

Message Edited by CodeMonkey on 10-24-2009 02:58 PM
Message 13 of 18
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

Sorry for an additional question, but I'm looking better for this than I thought I would. My TU FICO is 754 and I would show $90K HHI. What was your TU FICO? Also, how is this WE MC reporting, i.e. does it report a CL like a normal card would?

Not too many left that I want, PSECU (qualified), NCFC (can qualify w/effort), USAA (may be able to qualify when they update my requirements so dad can join), Ameriprise, could be a very few others.

Message 14 of 18
CodeMonkey
Contributor

No worries, I know the feeling.

Honestly I'm not sure what my TU was at the time of the app - however, based on ScoreWatch my EX was 727 at the time. The last time I checked my TU was when all my scores were in the 780 range about a year ago; like EX I'm guessing the other two have fallen considerably due to a lot of new account trauma over the last 12 months.

I can't imagine they wouldn't approve you given what they approved me with. I do have a mortgage with a decen amount of equity on my file, which is about the only caveat I can think of (they may have been more willing to give me the benefit of the doubt in spite of my score since they know I have at least one worthwhile asset?).

Anyway, if you do pull the trigger, good luck - let me know how it goes. Smiley Happy It is a great card for sure. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

Message 15 of 18
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

How does this card report? Does it report the CL? (I think WE MC's do, but I'm not sure of it.)

Regarding mortgages on CBR's: I'm not sure they are universally considered a positive thing these days...

Message 16 of 18
CodeMonkey
Contributor

I just checked and the TL hasn't hit my report yet, so I'm not sure. Incidentally, it looks like my TU is 733 right now (a bit higher than I thought it would be).

One thing to watch out for: apparently the card applications are serviced by Barclays and then transferred to Ameriprise.

So I actually have an entry for a "Barclays" account that was opened, immediately closed and noted as "transferred." Very weird.

Message 17 of 18
creditwherecreditisdue
Senior Contributor

@CodeMonkey wrote:

I just checked and the TL hasn't hit my report yet, so I'm not sure. Incidentally, it looks like my TU is 733 right now (a bit higher than I thought it would be).

One thing to watch out for: apparently the card applications are serviced by Barclays and then transferred to Ameriprise.

So I actually have an entry for a "Barclays" account that was opened, immediately closed and noted as "transferred." Very weird.

If you get hit for two new TL's when you open this I'll be out. Don't want that. You'll have to post back in this thread when the new card reports so I know how it works.
Message 18 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.