Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Increase Requests Online - Hard Inquiry

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Increase Requests Online - Hard Inquiry

So, I contacted one of my credit card companies to request an increase in credit line, and asked if there would be a hard inquiry hit.  He said no.  They use their own in-house data and information/relationship for increase.  This is a Visa card.  Not Comenity Bank.

Head's up for anyone considering Comenity Bank.  Today, I went to Comenity Bank, Visa Rewards Card website, and requested an increase in my credit, via online.  No information was available online whether this would be a hard inquiry.  I assumed incorrectly that it would not.  I was denied an increase.  Spoke with an "I'm sorry" supervisor.  Asked him where it states online that there would possibly be a hard inquiry.  I think I'd have a right to know prior to submission of request.  He said there is a place online where it states that.  What and where he told me, I was never provided that information.   Wasn't there.  And I told him this.  "I'm sorry" is all I heard.  However, the helpful <cough> gentleman offered to give me the address where I can dispute this inquiry.  Wasn't that nice?  Why do I care?  I'm trying to purchase a home, and even a little shaving off my FICO makes a big enough difference.  Bottom line:  I would never request an increase online.  Better to talk to someone on the phone to make sure there's no hard pulls if that's a concern for you.  Signed, Furious.

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

Re: Credit Increase Requests Online - Hard Inquiry

I'm not sure if your card's screen looks different, but they list this rather clearly on my Comenity-backed BJ's Elite Perks card:

comenity.PNG

They've never actually done a HP for my requests, but at least I know the possibility is there.  I'm sorry that this happened to you, but as with all requests for new or additional credit, one should always expect the possibility of a hard pull and be happy when it's not.  Certainly something to be on the lookout for when a mortgage is in the future.

Message 2 of 7
Credit-hoarder
Valued Contributor

Sorry that they got you with a HP on what should have been a SP-- but the best thing to do as far as credit heading 6 to 12 months into a mortgage app is to stay stationary and do NOTHING that could even chance a HP to your reports.
BUSINESS
Rewards Pts.-Miles: UR-MR-TYP-Venture
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

No, that's what he said would show up and I would insert the information, but it never did.  I would have noticed that immediately.  I had that with my AE credit increase request that was online.  I was surprised Comenity didn't have that.  It went immediately to a little box on the right that said I was not eligible.  All the rest of the information, such as you posted...and thank you for that...was faded in the background.  Never came up in the forefront for me to fill in prior to request.  Very weird.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would always ask if a CLI request would result in a HP before going for it so you know for sure. I'd suggest asking both a CSR from the lender, but also inquire on this forum, as our members are quite often more knowledgeable than CSRs.
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have all three of my reports locked.  I unlock them when I intend to apply for credit.  This helped me out last week in the same situation as you.  I requested an online CLI for my Amazon Store Card (synchrony).  No indication of a hard pull.  CLI request was denied immediately (which honestly surprised me).  Got the letter in the mail on Monday... denied because my TU report was locked.  So, like, screw you guys... there was NOTHING about this being a hard pull (if there was wouldn't have tried it because I know everything is locked up tight).

So, locking your reports is an option.  

Message 6 of 7
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous some lenders will not perform a soft pull if your reports are locked (see recent BoA CLI megathread).  I don't recall seeing any data points of anyone receiving a hard pull for a CLI on an Amazon Store Card.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.