Credit Insurance Worth it?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Insurance Worth it?

So the few cards I got asked if I wanted this coverage including PENFED

I remember I was out of work for a while and I DID have this
and I DID activate it and eventually the charges were paid
for because I was unemployed for too long. (bit ago).

Are you guys/girls signing up for this coverage?

Coverage as low as 55¢ per $1,000 of your outstanding balance
Learn More

PS What is "as low as"..

Message 1 of 20
19 REPLIES 19
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Insurance Worth it?

No.
Message 2 of 20
longtime_lurker
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
No.

+1.

My citi card has free protection....if I get struck in a disaster zone or SOMETHING ELSE WITH .00001% probability! But, it's free.

*thumbs nose at Nixon*

Free is great. I know that if a hurricane comes here to MI I won't have to worry about my Citi bill...those pesky other lenders though...tsk tsk

Current cards: MSUFCU Platinum, Amex PRG, Amex Surpass, Amex BCE, Citi Prestige, Citi Double Cash, Citi Premier, US Bank Cash +, Huntington Voice, AAviator, Sallie Mae, Discover IT, Chase Freedom TU:753 EQ Enhanced: 758
Message 3 of 20
Creditaddict
Legendary Contributor

NEVER!

Message 4 of 20
Skye12329
Valued Contributor

Is this like that "Debt Protection" HSBC was offering when they owned BBY card or am i misunderstanding?

If thats the case then imo its more of a scam for them to make extra money.

BK7 - 2/21
Cap1 QS - 2k (4/21)
Mission Lane - 4k (11/21)
Venmo - 900 (11/21)
SavorOne - 2500 (12/21)
VentureOne - 2000 (7/22)
Message 5 of 20
Pway
Valued Contributor

NO

Thank you for the wealth of knowledge I have learned from these forums. I am logging off as of November 9, 2022. I wish everyone great success.
Message 6 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

Then I guess no one has ever been laid off for some time . ?

Message 7 of 20
Anonymous
Not applicable

You might be getting some self selection here. When I was working (pre grad school), I made sure to have six months of salary available in my savings account at all times. In the event of something big happening, like a natural disaster, or being laid off, I had the resources saved to be able to ride it out. I'm guessing that you're seeing some of that here. You're also seeing people who have 0% intro APRs, so they don't need to pay for that kind of insurance. The 0% will last for a year or so, which provides ample time to get things fixed. 

Message 8 of 20
jamesdwi
Valued Contributor

Nope would not accept it, my creditors are the last entities that i want to know that I am unemployed, I lived the last 6+ years as a contractor, and typically unemployed at least once every 2 years, for various amounts of time, between contracts, knowing this I plan/live my life accordingly. If can't handle the more than 2x minimum payment of a purchase when I am unemployed. I don't make the purchase. Thus have been able to maintain my credit report with 0 lates or other derogs for the last 7 years. Thankfully I started a good paying job as a full time employee, no more contracts for me. 

Gee lets see I notify my creditors I am unemployed and hope they do the right thing, lets hope they don't CLD or other AA because I carry a balance a week too long. No thanks don't even want to think about it. 

Cards: Chase Southwest 20k & CSR 17k & CSP 10k & FNBO 30k Oregon Duck 5k, & AMEX BCP 32.5k & Amex Magnet 15k&amg; Hilton Surpass 7.5k & Delta Gold 12k & Zync NPSL, Fidelity AMEX 17k Commerce5.9k & Cash Forward 7.5k & Sams Club MC 20k, Paypal Extras MC 10k, Paypal Credit 7.25k CapOne Venture 15k, QS 2.5k, QS 750, Amazon 10k, Walmart 10k, Citi Simplicity 18k, Discover IT 23k and a nice stack of store cards.
Landmarkcu Personal Loan 10k
Message 9 of 20
joedtx
Valued Contributor

@Creditaddict wrote:

NEVER!

Even Nfcu offers it but its not one of those 'in case you die' policies it includes converage in case of job loss it makes the payments until you get back on your feet.

Message 10 of 20
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.