Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Karma card suggestions.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Karma card suggestions.

Was checking something on my BF's Credit Karma account and saw a few interesting things.

Their number one suggestion was the Chase Sapphire Preferred listed with a very good approval odds. Given his current situation with Chase (they cut the credit line on both his cards from $9,800 to $4,900 on his Slate and from $7,000 to $2,500 on his Freedom), it seems pretty unlikely. Among their other suggestions were the Citi Double Cash card (listed as Pre-Approved), AmEx Platimum (Very Good odds - they are probably right, given that on AmEx's site, he is pre-approved for it), and the Freedom Unlimited (Fair odds they say).

I presume their suggestions are based (at least in part) on which cards give them the most money for referrals, but I was a bit surprised that they felt that his odds on the CSP were Very Good, while only Fair on the Freedom Unlimited. I was thought it was interesting that they had a pre-approved offer from Citi, given their own pre-approval site no longer works.

As I have said before, while he is interested in a CSP, it would not be until travel returns, and he has got an Apple Card, so at least 6-8 months. :-)

14 REPLIES 14
Girlzilla88
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Karma card suggestions.

@Anonymous    I would wait out your original plan to me I wouldn't take what CK suggest but with a grain of salt.

Message 2 of 15
randomguy1
Valued Contributor

My guess would be very broad marketing demographics gives those odds.

Message 3 of 15
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Girlzilla88 wrote:

@Anonymous    I would wait out your original plan to me I wouldn't take what CK suggest but with a grain of salt.

Sorry if I was not clear, he has no plan to apply for the CSP until he gets a pre-approved offer from Chase, after travel makes sense again, and only after he has an Apple Card (or has determined he will never get one :-(  ). 

Message 4 of 15
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

CK's recommendations and odds of approval are a running joke here, they shouldn't be relied upon when deciding on whether or not to apply for a given card.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 5 of 15
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Yup, pure marketing.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 6 of 15
Rogue46
Established Contributor

I get the same very good approval odds with the CSP through CK. And there's no way they are handing me a card

Message 7 of 15
cashorcharge
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Agreed with everything here....for example, I got the Citi notice on my account with them too....but if you go to Citi's actual website, they are not doing preapprovals right now on any product so....I doubt they have some connection to the bank to add credability to their preapprovals other than "odds" based on other users experience.

Message 8 of 15
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

@coldfusion wrote:

CK's recommendations and odds of approval are a running joke here, they shouldn't be relied upon when deciding on whether or not to apply for a given card.

Case in point I usually have poor or fair approval odds for secured cards and fee harvester cards, poor approval odds for all non-Amex cards listed in my signature that appear in their database, and excellent approval odds for all Amex cards while Amex uses Experian scores and Credit Karma has no access to my Experian reports. 

Message 9 of 15
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@cashorcharge wrote:

Agreed with everything here....for example, I got the Citi notice on my account with them too....but if you go to Citi's actual website, they are not doing preapprovals right now on any product so....I doubt they have some connection to the bank to add credability to their preapprovals other than "odds" based on other users experience.

They do have another connection - if you click through CK to apply for a card they collect what is in effect a referral fee.

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.