Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Limit Changes Reflecting on TU Report

tag
DigitalArk
Valued Contributor

Credit Limit Changes Reflecting on TU Report

There are an initial limit and a current limit for one of my CCs on the TU report. I guess all the lenders DO see the CC's credit limit change on our reports.
What are the negative impacts of getting a low limit CC or a CC's credit limit decreases, if the lenders see it on the reports?
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
vanillabean
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Limit Changes Reflecting on TU Report

Initial and current and everything inbetween; limits and high balances. I doubt the lenders can see the cards' limit history. But if and when they do, I wouldn't worry about low limits, while on the other hand reductions often stem from being overextended.

Message 2 of 4
navigatethis12
Valued Contributor

Experian also shows this, but I haven't seen it on Equifax. I don't know if lenders can actually see it, or if it just shows it to us. Low limit cards(below 5000) have not hindered me from getting high approvals or approvals at all. American Express reduced a limit and no other lender questioned it or followed. The only lender I have read that will mention it as a reason for denial is American Express.

Message 3 of 4
enharu
Super Contributor

American Express can be picky / quirky sometimes, but that's just them. I have seen people been rejected because their balances were only paid down recently. From a risk standpoint its understandable, but at the same time its weird to penalize someone for paying down most of their debt. It beats defaulting on a debt, right?

Anyhow, experian and transunion shows credit limit history data, and lenders probably can see it too. I doubt it affects or influence anything though. The biggest determinants of approval / denial / adverse action is still going to be overall credit score, other details in the credit report that does affect scoring (utilization, inquiries, etc) and to an extent, income.
JPMorgan Palladium (100k), AmEx Platinum (NPSL), AmEx SPG (46k), AmEx BCP (42k), Chase Sapphire Preferred (47k), Citi Prestige (31k), Citi Thank You Preferred (27k), Citi Executive AAdvantage (25k), JPMorgan Ritz-Carlton (21k), Merrill+ (15k), US Bank Cash+ (22.5k), Wells Fargo (12k), Bloomingdale’s (12.4k), Chase Freedom (5k), Discover IT (5k).
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.