Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Limit too high?

tag
Appleman
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Limit too high?

I doubt that decreasing your credit lines shows the bank anything. I think that is great if you feel you have too much available credit and it may tempt you to spend more. Financial discipline is not spending more than you make and paying your bills on time. I would counter I am showing more restraint by not running up charges on my $50,000 credit line versus my $5,000 credit line. 

More often than not we are dealing with computer algorithms that determine if we are going to get a CLI or CLD from a lender. There are cases such as some credit unions that will send it for manual review before approval but for the majority it is data driven. I enjoy the high credit lines to pad my utilization if I end up making a large purchase from time to time, not worrying that I will be at 50 or greater utilization on a card.

I do agree that the cards in one's portfolio can give an indication of their financial situation but there have been plenty of broke people with a Platinum card in their wallet and an expensive car in their driveway. 

Message 31 of 59
coldfusion
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@BronzeTrader wrote:

@dlm0820 wrote:

@BronzeTrader wrote:

I asked to decrease my credit lines all time.  This way I can limit my own exposure to certain bank and keep my credit relationship with them open.  Almost no bank wanst to keep a $100,000 or $200,000 credit line open with one single person or family.  Over the past year, I've closed or decrease my total credit line $200,000.

I had a Crate & Barrel card from Comenity, which had a credit line of $20,000.  Smiley Very Happy  I'll never buy that much dinnerware.  

Why would you EVER consider doing this?  NEVER ask for a decrease.

A store card with $20K limit helps with utilization and of course no one would buy that much from Crate and Barrell.  

And if you can't manage $200K in credit lines than you have a bigger problem that needs to be resolved.  Decreasing credit lines isn't going to  help that.

I ask for credit descrease all the time.  This is financial descipline.  It helps to manage the zeal for more credit and unnecessary spending.  It shows the bank you are a more financial responsible person and spend within your own means.  It also give you some headroom to get some new cards and get better rewards.

The type of cards show a picture of the person's financial situation.  If you show a solid portfolio of cards, decend spending, always pay on time, then banks will approve more cards to you and you get better rewards over time.

Closing a tradeline because it no longer meets ones needs and subsequently opening another one that is a better fit is prudent, but if someone who is not in the business of churning is regularly opening and closing them it's a pretty strong indicator of a general inability to follow a diciplined approach to one's financial planning. 

(3/2024)
FICO 8 (EX) 846 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850
FICO 9 (EX) 850 (TU) 850 (EQ) 850

$1M+ club

Artist formerly known as the_old_curmudgeon who was formerly known as coldfusion
Message 32 of 59
BronzeTrader
Valued Contributor

@Appleman wrote:

I doubt that decreasing your credit lines shows the bank anything. I think that is great if you feel you have too much available credit and it may tempt you to spend more. Financial discipline is not spending more than you make and paying your bills on time. I would counter I am showing more restraint by not running up charges on my $50,000 credit line versus my $5,000 credit line. 

More often than not we are dealing with computer algorithms that determine if we are going to get a CLI or CLD from a lender. There are cases such as some credit unions that will send it for manual review before approval but for the majority it is data driven. I enjoy the high credit lines to pad my utilization if I end up making a large purchase from time to time, not worrying that I will be at 50 or greater utilization on a card.

I do agree that the cards in one's portfolio can give an indication of their financial situation but there have been plenty of broke people with a Platinum card in their wallet and an expensive car in their driveway. 

This is exactly what I was talking about.  Credit cards ruined a lot people's life, particularly young people.  

15 years ago, Discover increased my CL to $18,000 without asking me.  I had to call them to lower it to $5,000.  The same happened with Target and Capital One.  I'd be more comfortable to keep CL of each card at $10,000 at that time.  At that time, there was also the liability if the card were stolen.  

Message 33 of 59
digitek
Established Contributor

My CSR had a 24k limit and I called to lower it to 10k.  I have only requested CLI once and it was on my first card from 1k to 3.5k, have never gotten an auto CLI, always PIF.  Total revolving credit is around 30k, income a little over 100k in midwest.  The main reason I lowered it is because I thought it might help in a future app spree.  I'm sure that total available credit is part of their algorithm's.  Some might have total available credit from that institution as separate from overall total, or calculate/weigh those values differently.  Some banks might not care about those numbers at all.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I've always felt lending institutions would like seeing a low total amount of available credit.  Unless you are carrying a balance, I see no reason at all to actually want high Credit Limits (unless you spend 24k a month like some people on these boards =D)

I might be wrong, but I think Total Available Credit isn't a factor in FICO scoring, except how it effects Util%.  If you are trying for new credit, you can easily manipulate Util% by just paying in full the day before the statement cuts.

I think I'm in agreement with the rest of you all, I'm part of the "less is more" crowd.

Message 34 of 59
Gmood1
Super Contributor

I'm apart of the do what you want with your own credit crowd. lol Smiley Tongue

OP just pay your bills and use it as you please. Nothing wrong with high limits. 

Some credit unions may frown upon it. Though the larger banks could care less.

Message 35 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

I think that if lending institutions didn't want to see people have high and unnecessary limits then they wouldn't auto CLI and just wait for CLI requests instead. It doesn't seem like it would be too difficult of a task.

I definitely don't think people should have high limits if they don't trust themselves or lack financial discipline. My credit cards could have a limit of $10k or $1M and it wouldn't make a lick of difference to me because I won't have a balance that gets that high. If a lender auto-CLI's my card up to the point that they feel they need to CLD then let it be, there's just no need for me to ask for a CLD because I only spend within my limits. 

The banks are heavily invested in their programs to assess risk vs benefit of extending and/or increasing/decreasing these lines of credit. Considering the value of utilization percentage to your FICO score and the number of times I've seen people that were turned down with the message 'credit limits too low', I'm fine with letting them adjust my limits in either direction based on my spend. If I felt as though I had 'too much' credit I would simply close a card altogether as opposed to a partial neuter.

Message 36 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

Very grateful for all of the post's on this topic what a good read got my education for nearly free. Smiley LOL

Message 37 of 59
Viva-LV
Frequent Contributor

@Appleman wrote:

+1!

Am Ex | BOA | Chase | Citi | Disc | PenFed | USB | 400K Club
Message 38 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

Personally I have never asked for a cli just for fun.  I have bought items that involed $10K charge that I pay off over 2 to 4 months and did not want to get nailed for high utilization.  It all comes down to self control.  For 90% plus of the purchases over $200 at the Backwoods house we plan together.  Same for our biz. We even grocery shop together.   Next week I have to  file and pay IRS for our 2016 taxes.  I all ready know we owe $4K and will put most on my Citi Dc and the remainder on DW Amex and pay  this off over 2 to 3 months.  (0%) To keep our % use  low;  I  will pay everything else paid to z. I have the cash but really hate departing with it. 

Message 39 of 59
Anonymous
Not applicable

@digitek wrote:

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I've always felt lending institutions would like seeing a low total amount of available credit.  Unless you are carrying a balance, I see no reason at all to actually want high Credit Limits (unless you spend 24k a month like some people on these boards =D)

In my defense, 24k is at least double and up to triple my typical monthly spending depending on the season. A combination of replacing an insured piece of stolen property and our anniversary pushed things up quite a bit. I like having high CL to deal with situations like this when they happen since I only carry one physical card at a time. I just like to be able to grab whatever card I am primarily using, walk out the door, and do whatever I'm doing without thinking about it.

I think most people like to handle their business in similar fashion, even if the scale is different.

Message 40 of 59
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.