cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Line increase request: always soft pull??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Line increase request: always soft pull??

This board is awesome!  Lots of help here on all fronts.  Thanks much to all!

Regarding requesting an increase in CL with existing CC: I have not yet had a straight answer.  This is my understanding at this point:

If I ask for an increase with an existing CC, they usually do a soft pull.  Based on what B of A told me, they definately do a soft pull.  Household Bank also told me that they do a soft pull, but said they were not sure if it would affect my score.

Can anyone tell me if they ever do a hard pull?  Can a soft pull cost me a point or two or does a soft pull never cause my score to decrease?

What companies are more likely to approve line increases?  This is my experience so far:

Citi: they review accounts periodically and increase limit if card is used often and credit scores are high and card paid off every now and then.  CC holders can request increase. 

Providian: they periodically review and may increase rate if cc paid off all the time.  You can not ask for CLI.

Cap One: hit and miss: depending on what 800 number you call, they may or may not increase your line.

B of A: increase quite likely, especially if your card used to be an MBNA card (which was bought out by B of A).  MBNA used to be very competitive, offered lots of promos and CLIs.  Looks like that kind of culture has been absorbed by B of A. 

AMEX: every now and then they may offer an increase but only if you have great credit.  They are pretty much the only CC that will quite often decrease your CL, even if you have good credit and excellent payment history with them.

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
SmartCookie
Valued Contributor

Re: Credit Line increase request: always soft pull??

hi hanniss,

Soft pulls (account reviews OR promo inqs) do not count towards score whatsoever and can't be seen by anyone other than you and the CRA.

If Household did not know if the pull they were doing would affect your score... I wouldn't trust them to know what a soft INQ is. 

Some companies do hard, some soft.  I don't know why they can't all just do account review softs...

AMEX gives CLIs with no INQ, it's just based on account history.  Cap1 I believe does the same or a soft... definitely not a hard.

To my knowledge, all of the CCCs that you listed at the bottom are fairly customer requested CLI friendly.  WaMu are among those that I have heard are not.
EQ 787 EX 781 TU 737 11/17/07 *** I am not an attorney. If I was, I might not clip coupons. If you want legal advice, consult an attorney. If you want my personal opinion, feel free to consider my posts***
Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

SmartCookie nailed these questions.

With Wamu/Providian send an email thought he secure site- they wil tell you that they do not do customer requested cli's .... but they should "Tag" your account for review or customer requests review. That is most likely how I got my CLI.

I am sure HSBC will hard you for a requested CLI.
Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Timothy wrote:
SmartCookie nailed these questions.

With Wamu/Providian send an email thought he secure site- they wil tell you that they do not do customer requested cli's .... but they should "Tag" your account for review or customer requests review. That is most likely how I got my CLI.

I am sure HSBC will hard you for a requested CLI.

Smart Cookie has been nailing them all night! Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks guys!!
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.