Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Mixology

tag
dizzier
Established Contributor

Credit Mixology

Ok so i'm contemplating a new CC for 2008. I'm just wondering, what should be in the credit card mix.

does it make any difference to my scores if i have one each of Visa, MC, Discover, and Amex or are all CCs equal in the credit mix?

i have 2 CC and 1 store card. If i add another store card will my scores take a dive? what if i had 3CC and 2 store cards? how would the score be then?

just trying to get a hang of this whole mixology thing. any help is greatly appreciated Smiley Happy

Until Chase lowers my ridiculously high APR they can kiss my patootie! Their card has been retired to the sockdrawer. Smiley Mad
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

Re: Credit Mixology

@dizzier wrote:
Ok so i'm contemplating a new CC for 2008. I'm just wondering, what should be in the credit card mix.

does it make any difference to my scores if i have one each of Visa, MC, Discover, and Amex or are all CCs equal in the credit mix?

i have 2 CC and 1 store card. If i add another store card will my scores take a dive? what if i had 3CC and 2 store cards? how would the score be then?

just trying to get a hang of this whole mixology thing. any help is greatly appreciated Smiley Happy

Majors/ bank cards (Visa, MC, Discover, AmEx) --any combination is fine: 4 Visas, one of each, 2 MC's and an AmEx, whatever. Majors get you more points than store cards. If the card has both a store and bank name, it's a bank card (Sears MC = MC.)

Store cards: still can't get perfectly clear info on these, but my understanding is that they don't hurt your scores, but they don't help as much as the majors do. I think that unless there is a specific store card that gives you great perks at a store that you actually use a lot, they might be more trouble than they're worth (high APR's, wacky reporting.) If you get one, I would find out which bank manages it and check out their reputation for customer service.

Your scores are helped when only half of all your accounts have balances--this includes mortgages, student loans, etc. So add up your open non-mortgage accounts (which have balances by definition, or they're getting ready to close), your current open CC's, and add however many more you might be getting. You want to have a high enough total number of open accounts that your number of your accounts with balances will be half or fewer.

OK, that's an awful sentence. Think of it this way:

mortgage: has balance
car loan: has balance
student loan: has balance
CC #1: has balance
CC #2: $0 bal
CC #3: $0 bal

You have 4 out of 6 accounts with balances. If you add two more CC's, and you let only one card report a balance at any one time, you will have 4 out of 8 accounts with balances. I did this in November, and my scores took a great hop.

Along with increasing your CL's and therefore decreasing util, this to me is a good reason to add cards. But you have to remember about the half or fewer reporting thing.

Edit: this score jump probably reflects the score bucket I'm in. YMMV.

Message Edited by haulingthescoreup on 12-09-2007 08:54 AM
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 2 of 5
ccaddict
Regular Contributor

@haulingthescoreup wrote:
Your scores are helped when only half of all your accounts have balances--this includes mortgages, student loans, etc.

Wow that's interesting! I had never heard of that before.. Thanks.
Message 3 of 5
haulingthescoreup
Moderator Emerita

@ccaddict wrote:

Your scores are helped when only half of all your accounts have balances--this includes mortgages, student loans, etc.

It was new to me, too. I once had the comment on a TU score, but I didn't really pay that much attention to it. Then when my bucket got changed, I got mad and decided to PIF everything but the tiniest amount on one card. Util wound up being less than 1/100 of 1% last month! Smiley Very Happy Sure seemed to have results, and got the happy comments.
* Credit is a wonderful servant, but a terrible master. * Who's the boss --you or your credit?
FICO's: EQ 781 - TU 793 - EX 779 (from PSECU) - Done credit hunting; having fun with credit gardening. - EQ 590 on 5/14/2007
Message 4 of 5
dizzier
Established Contributor

@ccaddict wrote:

It was new to me, too. I once had the comment on a TU score, but I didn't really pay that much attention to it. Then when my bucket got changed, I got mad and decided to PIF everything but the tiniest amount on one card. Util wound up being less than 1/100 of 1% last month! Smiley Very Happy Sure seemed to have results, and got the happy comments.

i'm not sure how accurate this is, but what i do know is that FICO high achievers have an average of 3 accounts carrying a balance. Smiley Happy

Until Chase lowers my ridiculously high APR they can kiss my patootie! Their card has been retired to the sockdrawer. Smiley Mad
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.