Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Needed for AMEX Gold vs PRG??

tag
CEOriginal
Contributor

Credit Needed for AMEX Gold vs PRG??

I'll be applying for an AMEX the second week of June. I app'd for the Green card a couple of weeks ago and got denied because of high UTI. Well, my UTI will be at about 2% once my credit is refreshed ($0 balance on 2 cards and MAYBE a $50 balance on $1800 limit). 

I got a pre-approval letter in the mail yesterday for the Gold card, so now I'm just waiting for the 30 days to tick away. 

My question is this: What are the qualification differences between Gold and PRG? I know that I'll be spending the necessary amount to get the sign-up bonus for MR points, and at the end of the first year, I'll just downgrade to Gold.

I've heard that there isn't much of a difference between credit approvals for Green v. Gold, but how about Gold v. PRG? 

Thoughts?

Scores as of 7/28/13: EX.683   TU.688   EQ.???
Message 1 of 21
20 REPLIES 20
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

Re: Credit Needed for AMEX Gold vs PRG??

edit to remove unauthorized link

webhopper

You get a decent idea of who was approved and at what score.

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 2 of 21
electra
Established Contributor

@ztnjpv wrote:

check here:

xxxxxx

You get a decent idea of who was approved and at what score.

I think posting links to "that other board" is a no-no here.  Smiley Happy

You can also look at http://whogavemecredit.com/

Message 3 of 21
CEOriginal
Contributor

Man they are fast here lol

Anyway, do you guys think if I cold call AMEX and ask them such a direct question as this, will I get a direct answer?

Message 4 of 21
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

By all accounts, the approval criteria for Green, Gold, PRG, and Platinum seem to be the same.  I highly doubt Amex would answer that question for you.  They'd probably just tell you that you have to apply to see if you are approved.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 5 of 21
CEOriginal
Contributor

@Walt_K wrote:

By all accounts, the approval criteria for Green, Gold, PRG, and Platinum seem to be the same.  I highly doubt Amex would answer that question for you.  They'd probably just tell you that you have to apply to see if you are approved.

I figured... Thanks!

Message 6 of 21
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

CEOriginal,

I took the liberty of checking that deleted link to see who was approved for the PRG. I saw approvals in the mid to upper 600s scattered in there. One said that he/she was approved just after adding mother's card via AU status and admitted to having a thin file. Another approved lower score said that a triple pull was done....prolly because of limited history

So, you might be ok. 

Start (Sept 2011): low-mid 600s. NOW: TU FICO: 801, EQ FICO 808, EX FICO 798 (PSECU). Goal: Achieved! Now Maintain!
Message 7 of 21
ztnjpv
Established Contributor

BTW, to the moderators.

Sorry, I meant no disrespect in posting that other board's link. I honestly didn't think it would be a problem. I never looked at credit-related MBs as being in such competition so as to making cross-links inappropriate. To me, such sites are all part of an ecosystem for learning about this subject matter.

That being said, this site is considerably superior to that other board. And that's the honest truth. Much more activity and information....and better information overall (except for info on credit pulls and approval and score info)....Smiley Wink

Message 8 of 21
CreditScholar
Valued Contributor

Why would anyone want the gold? It's easily Amex's worst charge card product.
EX 798, EQ 789, TU 784
American Express Platinum (NPSL) || Bank of America Privileges with Travel Rewards Visa Signature - $23,200 CL
Barclays American Airlines Aviator Red World Elite Mastercard - $20,000 CL || Chase IHG Rewards World Mastercard - $25,000 CL
Chase Sapphire Preferred Visa Signature - $12,700 CL || Chase United MileagePlus Club World Elite MasterCard - $26,500 CL
Citibank Hilton Reserve Visa Signature - $20,000 CL || J.P. Morgan Ritz Carlton Visa Signature - $23,500 CL
Message 9 of 21
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

@ztnjpv wrote:

BTW, to the moderators.

Sorry, I meant no disrespect in posting that other board's link. I honestly didn't think it would be a problem. I never looked at credit-related MBs as being in such competition so as to making cross-links inappropriate. To me, such sites are all part of an ecosystem for learning about this subject matter.

That being said, this site is considerably superior to that other board. And that's the honest truth. Much more activity and information....and better information overall (except for info on credit pulls and approval and score info)....Smiley Wink

Not a mod, but I've run into that same problem. It's not a competition thing (at least ostensibly that's not the reason Smiley Wink).  That other site is viewed as a credit repair site that advocates practices that violate myfico's terms of service.  They don't allow promotion of any site that advocates unethical credit repair strategies.

End of threadjack.

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 10 of 21
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.