Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit One Closure

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit One Closure

So I just got off the phone with Credit One. Shocked I was actually able to get someone on the phone. I told them I wanted to cancel my card/account. She offered me everything under the sun to keep my account open. I told her to just close it. She said it was closed and hung up.

Who here has dealt with these people before? I've read that they're very shady? What steps do I take now to ensure my account was closed in good standing?

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
rockbttm442
Frequent Contributor

Re: Credit One Closure

Call back and talk to another rep. Make sure they don't try to stick you with a monthly fee.
Cap 1 QS1 - $3300, Kemba CU - $500, Chase Freedom - $500, Sears MC - $751, Sears - $2000, Hot Topic - $1230, Grismer - $1200, Target - $1800, Walmart - $200, Home Depot - $500, Discover IT Chrome - $7000, Chase Sapphire Preferred - $5000
Message 2 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Smart move.  

If you have online access to your old account I would watch that like a hawk.  I only had to tell them to close it once, but I kept one eyeball on my account to see if anything shady was happening to it. 

Message 3 of 8
MissMoni223
Senior Contributor

One of the BEST credit decisions you'll ever make. I agree, watch your account online to make sure that your next statement shows $0 balance. Check your credit reports as well as it should show that the account was closed at the consumer's request.

Gardening Until Further Notice
15 Credit Cards (12 Major Banks & 3 Store Cards)
Message 4 of 8
thomasjm99
Regular Contributor

@MissMoni223 wrote:

One of the BEST credit decisions you'll ever make. I agree, watch your account online to make sure that your next statement shows $0 balance. Check your credit reports as well as it should show that the account was closed at the consumer's request.

It's funny...  If my CO with Credit One wasn't hurting my score, I'd leave it there since it means I can't get another CreditOne account (atleast at this point)...  I've never been more excited for a lender to tell me I can't open an account with them!

Message 5 of 8
Broke_Triathlete
Valued Contributor

What I did was billpay $25 extra the month before I closed it. Then closed it, and received a check minus the monthly fee. That way they couldn't screw me. 

Personal:

Business:

Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Check your account frequently to make sure there aren't any 'misc' charges like deferred interest or something. I had a $0 balance, closed my account and went online, only to find I had a $1.71 balance.

You bet your ass I made a $1.71 payment and now it's reflecting $0. They actually reported that $1 to the CRA, I saw it on my report as closed $1 balance, it;s now updated to $0..

long story short, just follow up and be responsible..

Message 7 of 8
DeeBee78
Valued Contributor

I had no trouble closing mine either. Yes, they offered everything under the sun to keep the account open, but I only had to ask them to close it once. No more fees or anything hit my account, and it shows closed on my credit reports. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.