Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit One Pre-approval

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit One Pre-approval

Just last week I did the prequalified thing on Credit One and they told me they had no cards to offer me at this time.  I go to the mailbox today and there's a real plastic credit card saying I was pre-approved by Credit One (second time they have done this).  It gave me a code and if I had filled out my income it would have given me some sort of limit.  I read where the card had an initial $75 fee and then $100 per year after that.  It even said they would break the fee down to a little more than $8 a month.  Why the heck would I pay nearly $10 a month just to have a credit card when I already have 8?  Apparently they want to make sure you don't just throw it in the sock drawer after a single use.  Why would anybody pay an annual fee for a credit card?

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit One Pre-approval

Two reasons. The main reason is they see credit one and think capital one. The second is because they have bad/low credit and think it is the only thing they can get.  This is what my husband told me when I asked why he had this card. His has a $49 annual fee though. This card did serve an expensive purpose to him but after tonights approval with cap 1, I finally convinced him to cancel credit one. lol

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I got a few Comenity cards with the SCT.  Mama gets all competitive with me and takes this Credit One offer.  Her credit is in the 720s.  She blamed me when her credit score dropped many points due to a hard pull.  How was it my fault that she didn't listen to anything I said?  Anyway, her score came back to its original level and now she swears by her Credit One card.  That's because she never admits when she makes a mistake.  For me, I am gardening for 2 years to get my 9 hard inquiries off and then I am apping for Navy, NASA, DCU and SDFCU.  I deposit $10 to $30 a week in each of my 6 federal credit union accounts.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Is this thread a joke?

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Its funny you say that. He has defended and fought for his credit one card too. He put up a fight over the hard pull. He didn't want a score drop. When I showed him the approval for $10k, he said who's is that and did I get approved? He didn't believe that was his until he got an email lol my dh is also competitive about our scores. I just started building mine though. I have been a cash only gal.

I am gardening as well. I hope to see scores like yours within the next 2 years.  If I can get these approvals for him, I won't have to come out. I will just use his Smiley Very Happy 

Advice to others - run the other direction if you see credit one come your way!

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Enough with the bickering posts.  A friendly reminder about the rules of playing in the sand box.  

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Friendly-Supportive-and-Respectful/td-p/2797115

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Enough with the bickering posts.  A friendly reminder about the rules of playing in the sand box.  

http://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Credit-Cards/Friendly-Supportive-and-Respectful/td-p/2797115

Does this refer to this?

@Anonymous wrote:

Is this thread a joke?

It feels like a legitimate question to me.

And I would ask the same thing but I already know the answer.

I understand that some like to use CreditOne's prequal tool to get a free EX score and that's fine and dandy. But when one does this it's expected that they will send some spam just to see if you're still "interested"

Smiley Happy

Message 7 of 13
09Lexie
Moderator Emerita

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Does this refer to this?

@Anonymous wrote:

Is this thread a joke?

I understand that some like to use CreditOne's prequal tool to get a free EX score and that's fine and dandy. But when one does this it's expected that they will send some spam just to see if you're still "interested"

Smiley Happy

Nope.  I edited out the post at the same time Irish posted. 

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@09Lexie wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

Does this refer to this?

@Anonymous wrote:

Is this thread a joke?

Smiley Happy

Nope.  I edited out the post at the same time Irish posted. 

Got it, I was trying to figure out I80's post. Looks like I missed a doozy! Smiley Tongue

Message 9 of 13
mo6579
Contributor

I'll tell you what - Credit One jump started my credit repair journey. Once they reported, bam, 2 comenity cards were preapproved, a couple months later cap1 was preapproved, soon after barclay rewards was approved, and a few months later amex. No shame in my game. Luckily, I got them with a no annual fee offer for the first year, but I would have gladly paid it. Once the annual fee started, I was set enough with my current cards to say adios. Now, 1.5 years later, I am easily 150 points higher than I was before. These garbage cards do have a purpose, but have to be used super responsibly, which usually means sending in a payment as soon as a charge is made to avoid their instant interset. I see preapprovals for a number of Chase cards, but I will have to wait for the mortgage in the next couple months first :-( / :-) .

Current Fico08 TU:654 EX:641 EQ:650 (01/31/2015)
Current Fico04 TU:??? EX:695 EQ:675 (01/31/2015)
03/2013 - TU:567 EX:490 EQ:540
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.