cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit One gives me an increase but Capital One doesnt?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit One gives me an increase but Capital One doesnt?

Continuing to add to my credit card stable I recently obtained a Credit One card with a $400 limit. My intention is to charge a stick of gum and pay it off before the statement cuts each month. Well after just one month of having the card they automatically increased my limit from $400 to $600. I was shocked. Yet Capital One, who I have been a customer of over a year, has only given me a secured card($1300), a Quicksilver($500) and a unsecured card ($300). So outside of my secured card Capital One has only given me a $500 limit.

Why are they so stingy yet a crappy card like Credit One gives me an increase after 1 month?

Also my scores have dived from 640 to 617. Too much apping and at 60% of my total avaliable credit. I am paying off everything next month. Then I intend to not app for six months and then try to refinance my one car loan. Any thoughts on if I will hit a 650 in six months with no apping and no balances? 

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit One gives me an increase but Capital One doesnt?

Well, for one thing they're different banks.  C1 and Cap1 work similarly when dealing with starter cards but, Cap1 is less sub-prime and is a bit more conservative.  C1 wants you to spend since they charge interest from day 1 in most of their cards.

Pay things down to say $5 on one of the cards to report that balance for the most points you can get in a month for your ability to manage your debt load.

650 should be attainable with the lower balance and some time aging your overall accounts.

Auto loans are easier to do than CC's because it's secured by the car.  Depending on where you go for the loan may change the FICO model that is used.  Some lenders flat out use the same model for all of their products and others may use an older model or an auto enhanced model.  All of these models will produce different numbers when it comes to your scores that they will use for approval.

i.e. If I used CU A they might use mortgage scores, If I use Bank A they might use F-08, If I used an auto specific site then they might be using auto enhanced scoring

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

617 is too low for any unsecured products from Capital One other than the QS1 and the Platinum. I doubt you will see increases on either card. Banks don't just look at your score. They look at the individual  factors that make up your score and use software to assess the risk. For example someone carrying 60% utilization combined with lower scores is a flashing big red light. Your profile, which includes your score is meant to answer one question for the bank "will we get our money back?" 640 is a "maybe/likely". 617 is moving toward "unlikely"...imho.

Someone with a strong profile can carry a 60% utilization without causing any concern from the bank. The weaker your profile the more you have to pay attention to things like inquiries and utilization.

Message 3 of 5
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Doesn't Credit 1 charge a monthly fee to use their card. If so, that pack of gum is costing you more than $2.

Nope, it’s not even worth comparing the two for many reasons.

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit One is trying to entice you to use a card that they know is likely to get you in trouble. The interest is insane, they usually charge annual fees, card replacement fees, phone payment fees, high late payment fees, and more. Their business model is extending just enough credit to risky borrowers to allow them to get themselves into trouble.

If you're looking to refinance in the near future, stop the applications, pay off every month, find out when issuers report balances, and pay in advance to lower utilization. After you've refinanced, apply for something like the Discover it Secured that will graduate to something worth keeping long term. Then dump Credit One ASAP.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.