cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit One wont give me a limit increase... Odd reasoning.

tag
JasonBourneOfCredit
Frequent Contributor

Credit One wont give me a limit increase... Odd reasoning.

Hi there

So I've had my Credit One card for over a year now. $300 limit and my FICO's are 675-700. I tried to get a limit increase via their automated phone line and the reason it gave, via email, was this: "Account usage during the past 90 days does not meet our current eligibility criteria"

I dont use the card much. Maybe $1-15 here and there. Is this the problem? Do I need to charge more to it? With such a low limit, I hesitate to use the card alot as I want to keep my util down.

Thanks

13 REPLIES 13
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

Re: Credit One wont give me a limit increase... Odd reasoning.

@JasonBourneOfCredit wrote:

Hi there

So I've had my Credit One card for over a year now. $300 limit and my FICO's are 675-700. I tried to get a limit increase via their automated phone line and the reason it gave, via email, was this: "Account usage during the past 90 days does not meet our current eligibility criteria"

I dont use the card much. Maybe $1-15 here and there. Is this the problem? Do I need to charge more to it? With such a low limit, I hesitate to use the card alot as I want to keep my util down.

Thanks

When I had my account with them, they offered to let me buy a credit limit increase every month I made a large payment after maxing out the card. For me ignoring the pay for increase for a month, they would grant a fee free increase until I got to $2,200 limit... just so happens I had collected a couple extra cards that didn't charge a monthly fee for their cards and closed my account with Credit One.

Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 2 of 14
JasonBourneOfCredit
Frequent Contributor

Ok so your strategy was to nearly max it out and pay it off every month?When you asked, did you call and talk to a person? Maybe going the automated route isnt the best choice.

Message 3 of 14
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Hi there

Thanks

@JasonBourneOfCredit  Your scores seem decent. Do you have any other cards? Just curious

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 4 of 14
JasonBourneOfCredit
Frequent Contributor

@Jnbmom wrote:

Hi there

Thanks

@JasonBourneOfCredit  Your scores seem decent. Do you have any other cards? Just curious

One Mission Lane card, $1500 limit, and one Indigo card, also $300. I really hate that Indigo card but needed it at the time. Just applied for Amex and they shot me down. Couple bad older items on credit but nothing bad within the last year or so. Been rebuilding nicely.

Message 5 of 14
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@Jnbmom wrote:

Hi there

Thanks

One Mission Lane card, $1500 limit, and one Indigo card, also $300. I really hate that Indigo card but needed it at the time. Just applied for Amex and they shot me down. Couple bad older items on credit but nothing bad within the last year or so. Been rebuilding nicely.

Seems like you are rebuilding nicely.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 6 of 14
JasonBourneOfCredit
Frequent Contributor

Well, I guess thats the advice then. Will give it a try unless someone has a better idea why I got that particular reasoning.

Message 7 of 14
chiefone4u
Established Contributor

Ok so your strategy was to nearly max it out and pay it off every month?When you asked, did you call and talk to a person? Maybe going the automated route isnt the best choice.

Yes @JasonBourneOfCredit I would charge 80+% of limit and make a payment a week or so later (but before statement cut) reducing the balance under 30%, then pay in full statement balance after statement was visible online. 

I never called them except when I closed the card. Everything else was online from computer. 

I never asked without them offering a increase first, and I refused to pay for the increase... so always waited until they removed the fee for same limit increase. 

Best of luck growing your card!

Goodwill Saturation Technique
Starting Score: EQ:608, EX:617, TU:625
Current Score 3/11/2020: EQ:695, EX:703, TU:720
Goal Score: 740+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Discover IT $1000Cabelas Clasic $1000Coscto Anywhere Signature Visa -Citi- $7200ExxonMobil Smartcard -Citi- $2500Playstation Visa (Comenity) $1950QuickSilver One $2200Walmart $6000Wells Fargo Platinum Visa $3000
Member of the Synchrony Bank giveth then Taketh away April 2020 Club! $86,900 in available credit gone without warning.
Newest Account July 8, 2020 -- Last HP October 24, 2020 -- Gardening Goal: August 2022 and reach 0/24
Message 8 of 14
Anonymous
Not applicable

@JasonBourneOfCredit I would shelve the CLI idea and try some prequals to see what else is available. You may qualify for some better cards. Even a secured Disco would be far better than this card, and you'll open some doors for yourself going forward. 

My list of prequals to check would be Disco, CapOne, Hone Depot and Lowe's (if you can use them, which most people can), and see what they say. 

Message 9 of 14
JasonBourneOfCredit
Frequent Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@JasonBourneOfCredit I would shelve the CLI idea and try some prequals to see what else is available. You may qualify for some better cards. Even a secured Disco would be far better than this card, and you'll open some doors for yourself going forward. 

My list of prequals to check would be Disco, CapOne, Hone Depot and Lowe's (if you can use them, which most people can), and see what they say. 

Disco: Have read they may take years or never mature the card.

Cap One: I kinda hate them from past experiences.

Home Depot, Lowes: Pretty far away from any location, dont own home, may never use.

Amex: Said pre-qual then I applied and they denied me.

Citi: Could get secured which seems ridiculous at my fico score, heard they may never mature the card either. 

Not sure I have too many choices. 

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.