Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Overview

tag
sailorjay
New Visitor

Credit Overview

Hello, I am looking for some feedback on what my options are. Up until last year I had a credit score of about 798 but then I was laid off. I've used about 60% of my credit and my score has dropped below 700. I used to easily get $5,000-$10,000 cards, but I can't do that any more. My last card I got was $1,600. I know I am going to need more credit soon and I am wondering if I should ask for a credit line increase on my current cards or if I should try to open up a new card. If I tried to open up a new card, does anyone have a card they would suggest for my situation? If I was to ask for a credit line increase, what recommendations/advice do you have for doing so? Thanks. SJ.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
myjourney
Super Contributor

Re: Credit Overview

Welcome to the forum 

Will need a little more info 

Whats your CR look like any baddies,INQ, all score, AAoA,CL, last app date 

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 2 of 8
sailorjay
New Visitor

Thanks. Last application was last month at Home Depot. They asked me. Overall score is proably 690. Total credit is about $30,000. I would have to sit down and figure out the AAoA, but I've had a great credit history, no missed payments, nothing, for 18 years, half my life. I'd say the average time I have a card is 7 years, I think I saw that on my last report. I don't know how to figure out INQ, but I've had way more this year than ever before. No bankruptcys, ever. Not even a late payment, ever and I use my credit, always have, regularly. For many years, the cards got almost nothing out of me.

Message 3 of 8
beb86
Valued Contributor

@sailorjay wrote:

Hello, I am looking for some feedback on what my options are. Up until last year I had a credit score of about 798 but then I was laid off. I've used about 60% of my credit and my score has dropped below 700. I used to easily get $5,000-$10,000 cards, but I can't do that any more. My last card I got was $1,600. I know I am going to need more credit soon and I am wondering if I should ask for a credit line increase on my current cards or if I should try to open up a new card. If I tried to open up a new card, does anyone have a card they would suggest for my situation? If I was to ask for a credit line increase, what recommendations/advice do you have for doing so? Thanks. SJ.

I would suggest to not app for credit or use credit heavily while you are unemployed.....this is a slippery slope that could be hard to get out of...

Message 4 of 8
myjourney
Super Contributor

Rough guess how many INQ's this year?

Edit................... what cards do you have now?

Before you app think...
Have you done your research of the CC?
Does it fit your spending?
Do you have a plan for the bonus w/o going into debt?
Can you afford the AF?
Do you know the cards benefits? Is it worth the HP?
Message 5 of 8
FinStar
Moderator Emeritus

@beb86 wrote:

@sailorjay wrote:

I would suggest to not app for credit or use credit heavily while you are unemployed.....this is a slippery slope that could be hard to get out of...

+1

What is also missing from your post is the current utilization/debt in comparison to your existing revolving TLs.  Thus, if you still have a high utilization rate, not an optimal score, combined with any number of recently opened accounts and inquiries, it will be very difficult to persuade any current lender to approve any additional unsecured credit, let alone new lenders grant a higher credit line in relationship to your current credit picture.

Message 6 of 8
indiolatino61
Valued Contributor

@sailorjay wrote:

Welcome to myFICO. That is a difficult situation you're in. The old addage, "Banks lend money to people who don't need it" is more true today than ever. Lenders do see that your balances are increasing, so asking for CLIs or apping for additional cards may not be an easy task, I'm sorry to say. I suppose some BT would do you some good, but lenders are sensitive to pyramiding debt now also. I hope your situation improves very soon. Good luck to you.

photo Logo - Credit Card Collection - Data Inclusive_zpskiw5xfjj.jpg photo emerald_zpsfitcxbh5.jpg
Message 7 of 8
thom02099
Valued Contributor

@beb86 wrote:

@sailorjay wrote:

Are you unemployed or underemployed?  What sort of assets do you have available, and if any, for how long? The ability to pay what you have in debt is crucial, so taking on more credit to try to resolve would be adverse, as you've seen from some of the replies.  If I were in your shoes I would not be applying for any more credit and also not asking for any further CLI.  As a worst case scenario, perhaps some sort of credit management to negotiate lower payments might be in order.  I know that might be a bitter pill to swallow, but the alternatives are bleaker. 

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.