Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Score has not changed... Why? [Changed to Fico Score Forum]

tag
nenuco
Frequent Contributor

Credit Score has not changed... Why? [Changed to Fico Score Forum]

Hello! So at the end of August I decided to purchase a MacBook Pro for $3,000. I put it on my Citi card for points. As it posted on my $4,000 Citi CL, my credit went down 60+ points due to the utilization of 70% on this card. Prior to this, my FAKO score from Credit Karma was ~ 770. It went down to 710, then back up to 730 in mid September due to 2 inquiries falling off. Foolishly enough I did not pay for it before it posted. As soon as it did I paid the card in full. This month I have been waiting for my utilization to go down. Today my Citi card finally posted. My utilization is down to 3% across the board. The thing is my credit score is still 730 as it was in September. I have no baddies, negatives, or new inquiries. Any idea why this might be? I wanted to apply for a new credit card but was waiting for my old score to repost. I wanted to know why my score has not gone back up to where it was previous to my credit card utilization spike.  Please let me know if anyone has any ideas or thoughts. I have 6 CC, $20,000 total credit. ~ 2 years of AAOA & always pay in full. I appreciate any help in advance. Thanks

- I changed this post to the correct forum. Sorry for any inconvinience, and thanks for all the helpful replies!

Full on Garden Mode (•‿•)
Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
jasimae
Frequent Contributor

Re: Credit Score has not changed... Why?

730 is an excellent score IMO. Not quite sure what you're asking. Do you feel your score should be higher? Which score are you referring to (EQ/TU/EX) and where did you pull that score from? What is the rest of your profile like? Cards, limits, history balances. More info is needed.
Message 2 of 14
nenuco
Frequent Contributor

Sorry about that. I have updated the question. Thanks!

Message 3 of 14
Cdnewmanpac
Established Contributor

First, this should be in the understanding fico scores forum. Second, Credit Karma does not weigh utilization the same way that Fico does. If you look at your Vantage score (also available on CK site), it should have bumped more in response to utilization changes. Finally, are you sure that the change has posted to Transunion (which ck uses)? TU is notoriously slow to update, so make sure that CK is actually showing the balance you are expecting.

In wallet: Ink Plus 10k, AMEX TE 25k. In bag: CSP 16k, USAA WMC 15k, Hyatt 13k, United MPE 12k, AMEX HHonors 3k. In SD: Cap 1 QS 5k, Discover IT 7k. FICO 08 says my EQ is now 844, was 510 in 2010.
Message 4 of 14
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

Credit Karma is slow to update information for me there's a 5 to 7 day wait period to see uti go back to where it should be.  Do you know your fico score? fico update quicker thank a fako.  Hense credit karma being free.  I use it to see my uti and that's about it but it takes a while to update.

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 5 of 14
migliogiorni
Established Contributor

than a fako

BOA: 8.9k
CSP: 5k
Discover: 5k
Citi TY Preferd: 5k
Wally: 5k
JCP: 4.9k
citiForward: 4.7k
ChaseFreedom: 4.5k
DFS: 2k
Message 6 of 14
Walt_K
Senior Contributor

My CK scores jump all the time without any movement in my FICO scores.  There's really no point in trying to predict why your CK score didn't recover to the same level as it was before.  First, I think people know even less about how the Vantage and/or Transrisk formulas work than how FICO works, so any prediction is going to be mostly conjecture.  Second, your score from CK isn't predictive of your FICO score, so you'd be piling on even more conjecture as to what your FICO score is. 

Starting Score: ~500 (12/01/2008)
Current Score: EQ 681 (04/05/13); TU 98 728 (01/06/12), TU 08? 760 (provided by Barclay 1/2/14), TU 04 728 (lender pull 01/12/12); EX 742 (lender pull 01/12/12)
Goal Score: 720

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 14
nenuco
Frequent Contributor

Sorry I was unaware of where to post. My utilization has updated down to 3% or $740 total spending. Should I still apply for credit even though my score stayed the same. Thanks for all the responses!

Message 8 of 14
calihlove75
Established Contributor

You cannot go by Credit Karma. Pull your scores here. My credit karma score is like 670 but my Ficos are about 730- 740. I bet your true Fico score is higher!

100% Ficos: EX 780 , TU 783, EQ 776 inquiries last 2 years/1 year/6 months: EX-0/0/0, TU-0/0/0, EQ-1/0/0~ last credit card app 6/24/13- New car loan 3/8/2014- Discover IT $12,500~Kohls $1000~Amex BCE $4000~ Walmart Discover $7500~NFCU Signature CashRewards $23,300 Chase Freedom MC $6000~ Chase Amazon Visa $1900~ Cap 1/HSBC MC $3800~ Amazon Store $7000~ Fingerhut $1050
Message 9 of 14
nenuco
Frequent Contributor

Good Idea! It's $20 for each score? (Transunion, Equifax, & Experian) That's expensive! Lol

Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.