cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Score recently generated, what should I apply for next?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Score recently generated, what should I apply for next?

I already have a BoA Cash Rewards card that I was able to apply for when I didn't have a credit score and got approved for, now I'm looking to try and apply for more credit cards overtime. Right now my score is at 670, so should I just keep waiting for my score to keep going up and once I hit 700, should I try and apply for the Chase Freedom or FU? Currently opening up a checking account with chase and will be depositing funds with them soon. Thanks guys. 

Also may I add, oddly enough, I got pre-approved from AMEX for a Gold Card, but I don't think I'd get approved anyways since my credit history is to short, my score isn't high enough, and I probably wouldn't get maximum value from it at this current point in time anyways. 

12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Credit Score recently generated, what should I apply for next?

You said your "score" is 670.  What score?  What's your source?

It's impossible to give anyone CC recommendations unless they disclose what they typically spend the most on.  What may be a lucrative card for me could be an absolute dud for you based on your spend.

Message 2 of 13
MediumTedium

It depends on other details in your credit profile. How old is the BoA card?

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Experian says my score is 677, sorry I'm a bit new to this. And the BoA card is 7 months old, soon will be 8. 

Message 4 of 13
RSX
Valued Contributor

Try for a Cap1 Quicksilver.  

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Alright, thanks for the suggestion. Is the Quicksilver really my only option at this point? And should I request a CLI on the BoA card? I have a few thousand in BoA and haven't gotten an increase or anything since I got the card months ago. 

Message 6 of 13
K-in-Boston
Credit Mentor

If you got your score at Experian, it's likely an Experian FICO 08 score.  Look at Bank of America, and you will also have your TransUnion FICO 08 score on your statement and in your online account.  You can ask for a CLI with BOA at any time and no credit inquiry should happen despite their warning to the contrary that has not been removed since they stopped doing it.  Shoot for the moon with them as they will counter-offer.

Your scores might still be a bit low for a good approval with Chase, so I would hold off but be mindful that they will automatically deny applicants who have opened 5 or more credit card accounts in 24 months.  Making deposits with them now is a great strategy, and you may see preapproval "green checkmark" offers soon.

The Amex Gold is actually very easy to be approved for, and with a 670 Experian FICO 08 it's likely that you would be approved.  But I encourage you to decide long-term what card(s) fits you best.  Do you want travel rewards or cash back?  What does your monthly spending look like?  No need to get what you can be approved for, get what makes the most financial sense to you in the long term.

Message 7 of 13
Raisondetre
Contributor

I'd personally wait for your BOA card to reach 1 year before trying for Chase, having a relationship with Chase is good and sometimes helps though. My husband apped for a Freedom card from Chase when he first opened a checking account with them, they did approve him but it's been stuck at $500 for 5 years, whereas his Freedom Unlimited has a starting limit of $4500 when opening last year.
Most Used
Amex Hilton Honors Aspire - $30K
Amex Hilton Honors Business - $10K
Amex Amazon Prime Business - $12.4K

Used sparingly or in sock drawer
X1 Visa - $27K
PenFed Gold Visa - $9K
NavyFed Cash Rewards - $5K
Care Credit - $20K
Walmart Mastercard - $2K
Tractor Supply card - $6K
Amazon Prime Synchrony Card - $10K
Home Depot card - $12K
PNC Points - $13K
FNBO Evergreen - $2.8k
Discover It Chrome - $2.8K
Discover it Cash Back - $1K
FNBO Visa Signature - $1K
Commence Bank Special Connections - $2K
WF Reflect - $4K

Fico scores September 2023
Equifax - 786
Experian - 770
Transunion - 776
Had scores in the 500s 5 years ago
Message 8 of 13
RSX
Valued Contributor

It’s not your only option, I just like the 1.5% on everything you spend on

it gives the cash back within days, not at the end of the month or when you hit $25

i used this card heavily as my first US CC and it is at $14k CL now.  Prob started at $2k

not my highest and not my most used anymore, but it was a good card for quite some time

And yes go for a CLI on your existing if it is over 6 months old

Dec 16/2019. EX. 721. EQ. 723. TU 746
Jan 25/2024 EX. 774 EQ. 751 TU 758
Inq. EX 2 EQ 3 TU 6 - - CC 2x24, 0x12
Amex BCP $35k - Apple GS $21k - BMW/Elan $19k - Cap1 QS $16.7k - Chase Amazon $13.6k - Chase Bonvoy Bountiful $10k - Chase United Club Infinite $26k - Citi CustomCash $3k - Citi DC $14.5k - CreditUnion1 $9k - DiscoverIT $31.5k - PayBoo - $15.6k - Penfed Gold - $19.3k - USB AltitudeGO -$19k- USBank Cash+ -$25k - PenFed LOC - $20k - USB LOC - $15k
Message 9 of 13
AllZero
Mega Contributor

As stated above, wait until higher score and longer credit age.

Be methodical in selecting your next card. Make sure it offers different rewards so it won't be redundant to your current BoA categories.
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.