cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Scores Ranging From 540-558. What is a good card?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Credit Scores Ranging From 540-558. What is a good card?

No First Premier please, as I had one of those charged off. Orchard will only offer secured (which I will accept in January). Any other suggestions for an unsecured CC?
Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
Breakthecycle2
Established Contributor

Re: Credit Scores Ranging From 540-558. What is a good card?

Cap One or Credit One.

Starting Score: 454
Current Score: 690
Goal Score: 750

Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 2 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was, infact approved thru Credit One, but Capitol One said that I did not pre-qualify for any CC offers... Smiley Sad

Message 3 of 12
Breakthecycle2
Established Contributor

Did they say they had no offers for you, but if you want, you can apply for one of these below (or something along those lines)?

Message 4 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes, they did. I was afraid to apply thou bc I assumed that if I would get it, I would have been pre-qualified and if I wasnt going to get it, I didnt want to have an IN on my CR.
Message 5 of 12
Breakthecycle2
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
Yes, they did. I was afraid to apply thou bc I assumed that if I would get it, I would have been pre-qualified and if I wasnt going to get it, I didnt want to have an IN on my CR.

I think you will get it. I would suggest applying.

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did apply, and was denied. So, a credit score of 561 DOES NOT qualify.
Message 7 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

2ndTimeAround-

Glad to see the Credit One I recommended worked out these are the other two that helped me. Both are HSBC issued cards. These two links below are Pre-Selectors. You fill in the information and they "soft" your credit report to pre qualify you for offers. No damage to your score. They will either come back with no offers at this time or it will show 1 or more cards they have prequalified you for. If there are cards listed you select the one you want and hit submit and then they do a hard credit pull and process the application. I would recommend trying these two links if you want another card to help you build. I have the Credit One and 1 each of these cards and my scores are going up all the time as my payment history builds. Good Luck to you and let us know how they work out or if you need any other advice.

Regular Household Cards:   https://www.hsbcapply.com/start/householdbank?media=D5IM102AAX0810000782XXHHX&WT.ac=CRS_IM000782&sku...

Household Backed Best Buy MC's (different than the store card and easier to get):  https://www.hsbcapply.com/start/rewardzonemastercard?media=B5IM29H20061100001EM

Message 8 of 12
score_building
Senior Contributor

mileage varies but yes, sub 600 scores do not qualify for most cc.  perhaps a secured card would be a good starting point for you as you build/rebuild?  generally speaking it is not recommended to apply for cc with sub 600 scores unless you are up for dealing with bottom feeder, fee harvester cards.  have you already reviewed all of the things you may be able to do (GW, pay down balance, dispute, etc) over the next few months to boost your scores b4 applying?  it could save a lot of hassle if you are able to app a good secured card successfully or wait until your scores are getting closer to the 625-650 range, since you'll qualify for more attractive offers.

2ndTimeAroundCredit wrote:
I did apply, and was denied. So, a credit score of 561 DOES NOT qualify.

DCU EQ 5.0, Citi EQ 08 Bankcard, PenFed EX NG2
EX 08: AFCU, Amex, Chase, PSECU EX 98(?)
TU 08: Barclays, Discover
Message 9 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

I would recommend you go to your local credit union and lay out your situation too a Loan Officer and apply for a secure card locally. Your local Credit Union will be in a far better frame of mind in dealing with and working with you on your situation. Start there.....because if you can't get something there then I wouldn't apply for anything just yet because companies like First Premier or any of the other fee trap cards like Credit One or New Millennium etc. offers nothing and their fees will only continue to increase while you will be left with little service or benefits from having such cards IMHO. 

Good LuckSmiley Wink 

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.