Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Solutions/CSR Etiquette?

tag
JNA1
Valued Contributor

Credit Solutions/CSR Etiquette?

When calling for CLIs, APR reductions, etc what is the best strategy for success? Is it best to just call and simply ask without no real details or reasons or should one explain the situation in detail, for example - “I plan to make a significant purchase and I don’t want my utilization percentage to be too high.” or “I plan to use this as my everyday use card and a higher CL would help me to have to make multiple payments in cycle” etc.

I have yet to have to do this yet (all of my CLI’s so far have been online or auto) but I figured I’d see what other people had success with and maybe to avoid saying the wrong things.
Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
AverageJoesCredit
Legendary Contributor

Re: Credit Solutions/CSR Etiquette?

Cli can be a different ballgame with certain lenders. Many may want to know WHY you need more. APR, just ask, you never know unless you try and many lenders have no issue with these request ime.
Message 2 of 13
longtimelurker
Epic Contributor

@JNA1 wrote:
When calling for CLIs, APR reductions, etc what is the best strategy for success? Is it best to just call and simply ask without no real details or reasons or should one explain the situation in detail, for example - “I plan to make a significant purchase and I don’t want my utilization percentage to be too high.” or “I plan to use this as my everyday use card and a higher CL would help me to have to make multiple payments in cycle” etc.

I have yet to have to do this yet (all of my CLI’s so far have been online or auto) but I figured I’d see what other people had success with and maybe to avoid saying the wrong things.

Personally, I would avoid mentioning utilization.   Basically you are saying "I want you to give me (and thus potentially not give someone else) a large CL. most of which I won't use."

But big spend coming up, or need bigger limit to avoid multiple payments are OK (but with the latter you probably should have some instances of multiple payments)

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

It’s a bank and a business transaction. They don’t care who you are. They just care that whatever you ask for fits into their underwriting criteria. Just ask and whatever ? they ask if any, answer truthfully and be done. It’s not rocket science and/or a friendship...
Message 4 of 13
wasCB14
Super Contributor

"I have some large purchases coming up, and I was wondering if I had any special offers available, either for extra rewards or a renewed zero percent period."
Personal spend: Amex Gold, Amex Schwab Plat., BofA PR+CCR(x2), Costco
Business use: Amex Bus. Plat., BBP, Lowes Amex AU, CFU AU
Perks: Delta Plat., United Explorer, IHG49, Hyatt, "Old SPG"
Mostly SD: Freedom Flex, Freedom, Arrival
Upgrade/Downgrade games: ED, BCE
SUB chasing: AA Platinum Select
Message 5 of 13
Gotham-
Frequent Contributor

I always call to ask... for any reason... it’s good practice n gives us confidence to think outside the box on how we actively participate with our cards and the institution.
Bat Attack that reduction!!!!
2018 Dec Starting Score: 700
Current Score: 778
Achieved Goal Score 2020: 800

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 6 of 13
CreditInspired
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@JNA1 wrote:

IMHO, there's no need to give any reason. And, on the off chance if I were asked, the last thing I would say is I dont want my UT to be too high. The way to do that is to PIF. I personally prefer requesting a CLI online. 

|| AmX Cash Magnet $40.5K || NFCU CashRewards $30K || Discover IT $24.7K || Macys $24.2K || NFCU CLOC $15K || NFCU Platinum $15K || CitiCostco $12.7K || Chase FU $12.7K || Apple Card $7K || BOA CashRewards $6K
Message 7 of 13
JNA1
Valued Contributor

If they actual look at my credit card payment (I’m not sure if they actually do that or not) they’ll see that I never carry much of a balance. My utilization has never been over 3% on any card at any time sine I’ve had credit cards.
I just wasn’t sure what they like to hear (or not to hear) when making CLI decisions.
Our credit card journey started 3/2018

Hover over cards to see limits and usage. Total CL - $584,600. Cash Back and SUBs earned as of 9/1/22- $15292.65
CU Memberships

Goal Cards:

Message 8 of 13
UncleB
Credit Mentor

Good advice so far, and I'll just add that specific to Credit Solutions (Synchrony) they seem to be especially disinterested in one's motivation for the request - they are polite but all business, which makes sense due to their number generally not being used by the public.

If you just want to share they'll humor you, but their goal is to ask you the required questions, give you a yes/no, and get you off the line.

Message 9 of 13
gorgon
Established Contributor

When I called Credit Solutions back in the day for a Lowe's card that had a $5,000 limit, here is how the conversation went:

CS: "How can I help you?"

Me: "I would like to request a credit line increase on my Lowe's card, please."

CS: "How much are you requesting?"

Me: "$20,000 more?

CS: "That has been approved. Is there anything else I can help you with?"

Seriously. It was that easy.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.