Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Credit Unions with 2% cash back cards

tag
Green456
Established Contributor

Re: Credit Unions with 2% cash back cards

@Aim_High wrote:

Some other options that might be available to the general population but not necessarily credit unions:

* Navy Federal CU Flagship Rewards Visa

pays 2 points (2% cash back) on everything although it has $49 AF.

(*However, if you use the TSA Global Entry reimbursement every 5 years at $100, it effectively

lowers AF by $20/yr to $29.  NFCU membership does require military-affiliation but extends family

relationships pretty widely to cover Parents,  Grandparents, Spouses, Siblings, Children (including

adopted and stepchildren), Grandchildren, and Household members.)

BBVA Bank Rewards Visa

pays 2% back with a $1K monthly Direct Deposit.

First National Bank Omaha (FNBO) Complete Rewards Visa

pays 2% when deposited into a bank account, mortgage, or 529 plan with them.

Also, for those of us who are veterans:

*Randolph-Brooks FCU is open to membership for all veterans if

I'm not mistaken, regardless of geofencing.

* PenFed FCU does not require keeping an account or a $500 DD for

veterans when enrolled in their Honors Advantage program.

As stated in the initial post I am only looking for credit unions that anyone can join. Also no banks please. 

Message 21 of 34
Green456
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Nusenda Credit Union is open and they have a rotating 5% CB card!

Yeah but that is rotating 5% and not flat out 2% on ALL transactions.

Message 22 of 34
Green456
Established Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If we are including banks, Key has their cash back card. It’s 1.5% normally but if you have an average daily balance of $1K each in checking and savings, it’s 2%. 

Honestly there are so many hoops with most of the 2% cards that I would pretty much rather just cut my spending by .5% rather than deal with the hassles. It’s only like $50 a year if I actually threw all of my spend on that card (which I don’t) which I can make up with a single sign up bonus and thensome. 

Just to reiterate my view on this:  very much a matter of personal preference.   I have PPMC, FIdelity VIsa and Citi DC, and have regularly used all at various times.   Very few hoops (in what matters for me) on any of them, and now I am pretty happy with PPMC (although I get it lacks features for some!)   Reward maximization is so much my goal that it would take a lot to switch to a lower earning card for some convenience.    But clearly, YMMV!

I can get over the lack of transaction notifications for the PayPal or a dedicated app but not the way that Synchrony handles disputes and fraud. My time is worth more than .5% cash back on a tiny bit of my spending. I have spent $938 on the PayPal card since I got in January. That’s an extra $4.92 in cash back over my QS but if I have a problem with my QS, it’s a 10 minute phone call and there’s a new card in the mail and a dispute filed with me having to do no further work. 

Synchrony and PayPal are both banks.

Message 23 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Green456 wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

@longtimelurker wrote:

@Anonymous wrote:

If we are including banks, Key has their cash back card. It’s 1.5% normally but if you have an average daily balance of $1K each in checking and savings, it’s 2%. 

Honestly there are so many hoops with most of the 2% cards that I would pretty much rather just cut my spending by .5% rather than deal with the hassles. It’s only like $50 a year if I actually threw all of my spend on that card (which I don’t) which I can make up with a single sign up bonus and thensome. 

Just to reiterate my view on this:  very much a matter of personal preference.   I have PPMC, FIdelity VIsa and Citi DC, and have regularly used all at various times.   Very few hoops (in what matters for me) on any of them, and now I am pretty happy with PPMC (although I get it lacks features for some!)   Reward maximization is so much my goal that it would take a lot to switch to a lower earning card for some convenience.    But clearly, YMMV!

I can get over the lack of transaction notifications for the PayPal or a dedicated app but not the way that Synchrony handles disputes and fraud. My time is worth more than .5% cash back on a tiny bit of my spending. I have spent $938 on the PayPal card since I got in January. That’s an extra $4.92 in cash back over my QS but if I have a problem with my QS, it’s a 10 minute phone call and there’s a new card in the mail and a dispute filed with me having to do no further work. 

Synchrony and PayPal are both banks.

It was a tangential discussion anyway, sorry about that. 

Message 24 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

It’s true I did go through some hoops to join the co-op to get into Nusenda CU!

I have heard about their quick deposits and financial transfers though, what’s that about the credit card payments being slow?
Message 25 of 34
forestgreenrover
Regular Contributor

Idaho Central appears to have a 2% card and it looks like one can join through donation to NWCUF (same way in for BECU and others). I briefly thought about it since I already donated to NWCUF, but I don't really need another 2% card, or CU membership for that matter.
AmEx Gold, BECU Cash Back 38k, PSECU Founders Visa Sig 30k, IKEA Projekt 28k, NFCU CashRewards 28k, Macy's AmEx 25k, NFCU More Rewards 24.5k, PNC Cash Rewards Visa Sig 20k, PNC Core 20k, Lowe's 17k, Overstock.com 16k, NFCU Plat 15.3k, FNBO Visa 12.3k, AmEx BCP 12k, AmEx EDP 12k, Citi DC 11k, AmEx Delta Gold SkyMiles 10k, PayPal 2% 10k, NFCU CLOC 10k, BBVA Clear Points 9.5k, Amazon Store 8k, Discover it 7.9k, PenFed Power Cash 6.25k, Kay 5.25k, Huntington Voice Plat 5.1k, J.Crew 4.5k, 5/3rd Trio 4k, Citizens Cash Back+ 3.8k, BB&T Bright 3.5k, BB&T Spectrum CR 3.5k, WF Cash Wise 3k, Huntington Voice Rewards 2.9k, WF Propel 2k, BECU Visa 2k, Citi Goodyear 1.9k, Cap 1 QS 1.75k, Cap 1 QS 1.45k
Message 26 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

@forestgreenrover wrote:
Idaho Central appears to have a 2% card and it looks like one can join through donation to NWCUF (same way in for BECU and others). I briefly thought about it since I already donated to NWCUF, but I don't really need another 2% card, or CU membership for that matter.

2 points per dollar does not necessarily mean 2%. Cash back is only worth .625cpp (4K points to get $25). 

Message 27 of 34
Anonymous
Not applicable

Yes that’s very common, they trying to mislead people a lot with what points are worth.

ABOC does the same thing with their 5% card but it’s only worth I think 4.25 cents.
Message 28 of 34
NRB525
Super Contributor

SDFCU gets my vote, since it doesn’t require further games. PenFed has other requirements to get the 2%

No FTF, so it beats Double Cash there.

The SDFCU can also be Chip+PIN. So if I were to get a straight up 2% card, SDFCU would be it.
High Bal Jan 2009 $116k on $146k limits 80% Util.
Oct 2014 $46k on $127k 36% util EQ 722 TU 727 EX 727
April 2018 $18k on $344k 5% util EQ 806 TU 810 EX 812
Jan 2019 $7.6k on $360k EQ 832 TU 839 EX 831
March 2021 $33k on $312k EQ 796 TU 798 EX 801
May 2021 Paid all Installments and Mortgages, one new Mortgage EQ 761 TY 774 EX 777
April 2022 EQ=811 TU=807 EX=805 - TU VS 3.0 765
Message 29 of 34
JikIdk

Water and Power Community Credit Union in Los Angeles has a 2% card. I'm not a member though but it seems like only lets you redeem it once a year in December.

Message 30 of 34
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.